Title: Candy Hearts
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Latios212

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]

Latios212

My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

mastersuperfan

Discussed over Discord—made some changes to the LH notes on page 1, LH rhythms on page 2 (notes on beat 4.5 in m20-31, tying over beat 2.75 to beat 3 in m32-40), and RH harmonies in m10 and m12/16.

Approved!
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Latios212

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Latios212

After a bit of discussion with MSF, I updated the sheet with the second iteration of the loop (section written out on page 2) since it has some added harmonies the second time around.

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Libera

It's DDLC, but at least it's DDLC with a good composer haha.  The sheet looks pretty clean, so I've just got a few comments.

-You could put the second layer Ds into the LH in bar 6 to make it match more with the other bars (dyads on beats 2,3,4).
-Spot the difference between pages 2 and 3 (no not the harmony lol).  I guess this happened because you added the page later, but I don't think that should have caused it...
-I'm honestly having a hard time hearing what you've written in for beat 1 of bars 13/17.  Unlike the other semiquaver runs it's not very audible in the original, but I can tell that something is sort of there.
-My main comment is about the rhythm of the LH in bars 32-40/53-61.  I highly recommend omitting the note on beat 3.5 of each of these bars.  The bass doesn't play on those beats in the original, and I think the feel of the rhythm comes across a lot better by leaving that silence there.  It's also probably easier to play which is nice.

Latios212

Quote from: Libera on July 26, 2021, 03:46:18 PMIt's DDLC, but at least it's DDLC with a good composer haha.  The sheet looks pretty clean, so I've just got a few comments.
I've always appreciated the simplicity of the original's soundtrack - it sets the scene well for the game :P But it is nice to get some more "mature" sounding music to go along with the new content.

Quote from: Libera on July 26, 2021, 03:46:18 PM-You could put the second layer Ds into the LH in bar 6 to make it match more with the other bars (dyads on beats 2,3,4).
I wanted to separate this to make it easier to play (the RH isn't doing anything there), as well as because the D's don't match up with the high notes in the left hand - it doesn't end up with a nice up and down contour on beat 4.

Quote from: Libera on July 26, 2021, 03:46:18 PM-Spot the difference between pages 2 and 3 (no not the harmony lol).  I guess this happened because you added the page later, but I don't think that should have caused it...
Oops lol yeah that's happened in some other submission as well I think, the staff size doesn't carry over to new measures added... fixed that!

Quote from: Libera on July 26, 2021, 03:46:18 PM-I'm honestly having a hard time hearing what you've written in for beat 1 of bars 13/17.  Unlike the other semiquaver runs it's not very audible in the original, but I can tell that something is sort of there.
Yeah, the accompaniment for this section is kind of tricky to pick out verbatim. That said, the chords couldn't be any more straightforward so probably anything outlining Gmaj here would sound fine. For what it's worth, I listened again and confirmed what I hear in the original resembles what I wrote in.

Quote from: Libera on July 26, 2021, 03:46:18 PM-My main comment is about the rhythm of the LH in bars 32-40/53-61.  I highly recommend omitting the note on beat 3.5 of each of these bars.  The bass doesn't play on those beats in the original, and I think the feel of the rhythm comes across a lot better by leaving that silence there.  It's also probably easier to play which is nice.
Hm, I'm not sure I follow? In these parts I hear the bass play the same note on beat 3.5 and 4.5.
Spoiler
You cannot view this attachment.
[close]

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Libera

Quote from: Latios212 on July 27, 2021, 08:31:47 PMHm, I'm not sure I follow? In these parts I hear the bass play the same note on beat 3.5 and 4.5.

Sorry, you're right.  I got confused.  I think what's throwing me off here is that in bars 32/34/35 etc. you're presenting beats 2.75 and 3.25 very similarly when one has a bass note and the other doesn't.  The lower note on beat 2.75 doesn't match the bass note.  This happens in a few other places but I feel like it sounds particularly odd here.  Is there any reason you couldn't just make it match?

The other things look fine.

Latios212

Quote from: Libera on July 29, 2021, 03:30:57 PMSorry, you're right.  I got confused.  I think what's throwing me off here is that in bars 32/34/35 etc. you're presenting beats 2.75 and 3.25 very similarly when one has a bass note and the other doesn't.  The lower note on beat 2.75 doesn't match the bass note.  This happens in a few other places but I feel like it sounds particularly odd here.  Is there any reason you couldn't just make it match?
Ah yeah I thought about this a bit. So (going off of 32, but all the other measures should be equivalent) on beat 2.75 the bass jumps up a fifth to the D which is higher than the other bass notes on beats 3.5/4.5 (lower D). I wrote in the A's in the chord since the strumming guitar part seems to have an ascending sound similar to how m. 33 moves up on beat 2.75 and wanted to match that in feel instead of having it drop on beat 2.75. Does that make sense? I've played this a bunch on piano and I like how it sounds currently.

Edit: briefly discussed over Discord and I did add the bass note (A) on beat 2.75 of measures 35/39/40 and the same places on the last page, to include the bass and make it a triad like the other measures.

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Libera

Yep, discussed over discord and I'll now accept.  Good sheet.

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Libera.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot