mastersuperfan's Color Sheets

Started by mastersuperfan, July 16, 2021, 03:25:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mastersuperfan

Quote from: Static on September 18, 2021, 05:29:37 PM
  • m103 RH beat 4.5: This sounds more like some chromatic grace notes in the violin instead of an 8th note. Starts on A and goes to F#. the eighth note is for the vocal line
  • m113 RH beat 4.5: There's an extra note here in the violins, you could add it if you want since it doesn't really get in the way of the melody. I'll pass, it makes it sound like a pickup to the melody
  • m125-126 LH: I get that you moved the A-D figure to the low register to transition better into m127, but the D-G-A figure at the end of m125 works fine in the original octave. I don't really see why it's moved down when nothing else was up to that point:

(be sure to adjust those ties though) this image pretty much shows me everything I don't like about it lol. major second with the melody, LH sounds like it goes "missing" for a beat and then suddenly reappears with the low A... would rather not
  • m159 RH beat 1: I hear an F# under the G (Em9). this seems to be neither fun to play nor good sounding on piano
  • m160 RH: I think I hear an F# between the E and G in this run. I still don't
  • m160 RH: The chord is missing an E (Em7b5/Bb). apart from the fact that I don't think it sounds good in the high register, given the major second with the D, I also don't want the pianist to have to re-articulate the E so quickly
  • m161 RH beat 1: This first chord has a more closed voicing, D-E-G-Bb. I do hear the E but I still hear the G at the bottom
  • m161-162 RH: The rest of the chords are correct, but there's another voice that's also playing an E underneath, so you could add that voice if you wanted to. I don't hear any E's anywhere after m161 RH beat 1
  • Bassline stuff:
    • m7 LH beat 2.75: It sounds like there's an extra 16th note (D) here. I hear the Cn held for the entire eighth note
    • m17/19/etc. LH beat 3: I think it might be slightly more appropriate to use Cn here, since the underlying chord is a G7. It's probably fine either way though. this is why I had it originally as Fn/Cn, since the F#/C# felt more to me like the chromatic passing tones than the Fn/Cn did. I changed it back as long as you think that Fn instead of E# is also appropriate
    • m101 LH beat 1.5: This note should be F# instead of D. I chose D because I didn't want it to repeat the same note twice
    • m146 LH beat 2: The A sounds like it should be D. same as above
    • The singer hurts my ears same

This is quite a sheet! Really nice work.

Everything updated, except I still need to finish transcribing the guitar solo for m68-69, which I will do later today
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Static

Quote from: mastersuperfan on September 26, 2021, 02:37:51 PM(m103 RH beat 4.5) the eighth note is for the vocal line
...But there's no note there... The line is "ne-ver die." Even in the Japanese version it's just two syllables in m103, and while there's maybe a bit of a slight inflection at the end, you could say that about almost any note in this song. Now that I'm listening again, this also applies to m107-108. The vocal melody doesn't reach the next note until the downbeat of m108, not beat 4.5 of m107 - and the strings don't play on beat 4.5 either.

Quote from: mastersuperfan on September 26, 2021, 02:37:51 PM(m7 LH beat 2.5) I hear the Cn held for the entire eighth note
Ah, yeah you're right, I mistook a slide for this.

Quote from: mastersuperfan on September 26, 2021, 02:37:51 PMapart from the fact that I don't think it sounds good in the high register, given the major second with the D, I also don't want the pianist to have to re-articulate the E so quickly
Close intervals usually sound better in higher registers, and I think gives the chord it's distinctive sound, but due to the repeated note I'm fine leaving it out. I'm still hearing the E's in those final chords too, but as long as you have just that one in m161, it gets the chord across so I'm fine leaving it.

All the other changes you made (or didn't make) look good. Regarding the piano solo, I hear beat 1.5 of m75 tied to beat 2 (i.e. as a quarter note). I also hear some additional/different notes in m77:

mastersuperfan

Quote from: Static on September 26, 2021, 03:12:09 PM...But there's no note there... The line is "ne-ver die." Even in the Japanese version it's just two syllables in m103, and while there's maybe a bit of a slight inflection at the end, you could say that about almost any note in this song. Now that I'm listening again, this also applies to m107-108. The vocal melody doesn't reach the next note until the downbeat of m108, not beat 4.5 of m107 - and the strings don't play on beat 4.5 either.
Even though she doesn't change syllables, she moves down to D on beat 4.5 of those measures.

Quote from: Static on September 26, 2021, 03:12:09 PMAll the other changes you made (or didn't make) look good. Regarding the piano solo, I hear beat 1.5 of m75 tied to beat 2 (i.e. as a quarter note). I also hear some additional/different notes in m77:

Makes sense, except I don't hear the A on beat 1; I think you might be getting that from the strings.
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Static

Looks good! We had a little chat on the guitar solo, as well as a few other chord voicings, and... I believe that's all I really have to say for this one. Accepted