News:

Congratulations!! You, yes, YOU, dear user, have been selected for the "You Read This News Item" award! Click here for your prize!!

Main Menu

[SNES] Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War - "Music Box" by Libera

Started by Zeta, August 17, 2021, 10:44:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Fire Emblem
Game: Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War
Console: Super Nintendo Entertainment System
Title: Music Box
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Libera

[attachment deleted by admin]

Libera

It's easier to hear the start of this on the second loop of this video.

Bloop

so cute
A few things I noticed:
-I'm doubting if it could be easier for the player if the L.H. is also played two octaves higher (and notated an octave lower than it is now), so that the distance between the L.H. and R.H. notes are visually the same as they are on the keyboard. I'm not really sure if it's needed though, because I didn't have a problem playing the piece as it is written now. I guess other pros would be having just one marking saying the entire piece needs to be played two octaves up, and thus having extra space to center the dynamic marking under the first note.
-You forgot to hide the pedal marking in m. 3-4
-In the last bar, the Eb is played as a grace note to the C instead of vice versa. Also, maybe you could extend the half note to a whole note? You have the pedal covering the entire piece anyway, so it won't really matter how long the note is played.

Static

In addition to the above:
  • The first measure on the first time through sounds like a 3-beat pickup, something like this:

What you have currently in m1 should be placed at the end instead.
  • m2 RH beat 4: There should be an F here (top of staff).
  • m11 RH beat 1: Bb should be C.

Libera

Quote from: Bloop on August 18, 2021, 03:10:57 AM-I'm doubting if it could be easier for the player if the L.H. is also played two octaves higher (and notated an octave lower than it is now), so that the distance between the L.H. and R.H. notes are visually the same as they are on the keyboard. I'm not really sure if it's needed though, because I didn't have a problem playing the piece as it is written now. I guess other pros would be having just one marking saying the entire piece needs to be played two octaves up, and thus having extra space to center the dynamic marking under the first note.

I'm not sure centring the dynamic is that important but I think it's nice to have the distance between notes on the staff reflect reality, so I changed it.

Quote from: Bloop on August 18, 2021, 03:10:57 AM-You forgot to hide the pedal marking in m. 3-4
-In the last bar, the Eb is played as a grace note to the C instead of vice versa. Also, maybe you could extend the half note to a whole note? You have the pedal covering the entire piece anyway, so it won't really matter how long the note is played.

Whoops, both of these are fixed now.  Although with respect to extending the note to the end of the bar, I don't want to do that because I want silence at the end before the loop.  I've made that clearer now with a pedal marking.

Quote from: Static on August 26, 2021, 05:49:03 PMThe first measure on the first time through sounds like a 3-beat pickup, something like this:

What you have currently in m1 should be placed at the end instead.

So, the piece starts with a fade-in and so the note that should be at the start (which is written in now) has zero volume.  My thinking was that including this fade-in isn't really important and it's better to just present the whole piece as it is.

Quote from: Static on August 26, 2021, 05:49:03 PMm2 RH beat 4: There should be an F here (top of staff).

Fixed.

Quote from: Static on August 26, 2021, 05:49:03 PMm11 RH beat 1: Bb should be C.

I don't hear this.

Thanks for checking, both of you.  New files are up.

Static

Quote from: Libera on August 28, 2021, 01:21:40 AMSo, the piece starts with a fade-in and so the note that should be at the start (which is written in now) has zero volume.  My thinking was that including this fade-in isn't really important and it's better to just present the whole piece as it is.
I guess that makes sense, but even so I hear some of the attacks at different places - that F pretty clearly plays later than beat 2 for example. I guess that might be due to hardware limitations, maybe starting sample playback in the middle of the sample to create a more convincing fade-in might not have been feasible or something. That's just speculation though, idk for sure
Anyway, it's fine.

Quote from: Libera on August 28, 2021, 01:21:40 AMI don't hear this.
Not sure why I was hearing this before, but either way yeah it's a Bb

Rest looks good, so I'll approve

Latios212

Quote from: Libera on August 28, 2021, 01:21:40 AMI think it's nice to have the distance between notes on the staff reflect reality, so I changed it.
Yep, good suggestion by Bloop - I've tried out some other sheets in the past and continuing to show the proximity between hands can make a pretty noticeable difference in ease of reading.

Everything else checks out too, and I agree with looping the sheet as written right now. I'll accept!
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Zeta