News:

Rest in pepperoni, Mario Mario, 1981 - 2021
He will be missed by all, except for me! WARIO, NUMBER ONE!

Main Menu

[SW] Animal Crossing: New Horizons - "K.K. Fugue (Aircheck)" by Purple1222119

Started by Zeta, November 04, 2021, 04:02:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Animal Crossing
Game: Animal Crossing: New Horizons
Console: Nintendo Switch
Title: K.K. Fugue (Aircheck)
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Purple1222119

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]

Purple1222119

Uhhhh spoilers for Update 2.0 I guess lol?? Once I saw there was a new fugue I just had to arrange it!
- I wasn't sure whether to list the copyright year as 2020 or 2021, since this piece wasn't introduced to the game til today, but the year the game itself released was 2020. Not sure what the preferred option is here. It's 2021 on the sheet for now.
- I put dashed lines for middle voice staff crossing similar to the DAN DON FUGA arangement, but I'm not sure if they're quite necessary here since the arrangement is much simpler than the aforementioned piece. I think they're nice to show which hand the middle voice is going to but I don't know if it causes too much visual clutter.
- Same with the separate rests for two voices in one staff (m. 14-15), I've seen it done this way on a couple Bach WTC versions, and I think it serves the purpose of showing there's two separate voices both resting there, but again, not sure if visual clutter is an issue.
- Oops, I just realized I didn't add a dynamic marking at the beginning lol. Hopefully by the time anyone sees this I will have already gone in, fixed that, and updated the files! (Edit from like 1 minute later: yep, already done!)
As usual I'll keep an eye out for any feedback and make changes promptly!
My Youtube! Featuring Orchestrations of Nintendo music and more!
Latest Tracks: Super Mario RPG & Superstar Saga HD ReMIX

Bloop

such a cute lil fugue
Nice work! About your own comments: I think having the year as 2021 is fine. Checking through some Urtext WTC fugues, I can see a few doubled rests, so I'm fine with those (edit: Gould mentions strict contrapuntal writing as an exception to the rule of sharing rests, so it's double fine :p). As for the dashed lines, in this case it's not that necessary, because it's pretty clear what the middle voice is (it's either the top voice of the L.H. or the bottom voice in the R.H.).

And for my own comments:
-If you wanna be really technical with the rests for voices, you could add a whole bar rest above the R.H. for m1-4, as this is technically the alto voice, while the soprano starts in m5.
-m1: You could put the f under the first note instead of the first rest
-I don't think the tenuto marks in m9 and m18 are that necessary, as these notes don't seem much longer than other quarter notes that are followed by rests.
-In m13-14 and m17, you could write the 8th note+8th rest parts as staccato quarter notes.
-m13: I hear all soprano 8ths as staccato in this bar
-m14: I hear the bass staccatos as not staccato :p
-m19: I think the L.H. C on beat 4 should be staccato too
-Lastly, you could fit all systems on one page if you decrease the staff system size to 90% and move them a bit closer together. It may be a bit cozy, but it does save paper :p

Purple1222119

Thanks for the feedback! Yeah, okay agreed on the dashed lines, I'll take those out.

- Oooh, I'm really conflicted about adding the whole rests above m. 1-4, I think I will think about those a little longer to see if I like them there or not haha.
- Adjusted the dynamic marking placement.
- Removed the tenuto markings.
- m. 13, 14, 17, changed eighth rhythms to staccato quarters. I really debated which of the two rhythms to use here, I wasn't sure if staccato quarters would convey the correct duration at first, but I do agree it is the cleaner option!
- m. 13, 14, 19 staccato articulations: yes I completely agree. Admittedly when I was transcribing this, I had it at a slower speed for this section and forgot to do a listen pass at full speed so I had a very skewed perception of the articulations here lol. These have been adjusted.
- Adjusted staff size to fit everything onto one page!

Thanks again for all these suggestions!

Bloop

Awesome! I don't mind if you include the whole rests in m1-4 or not: I'm currently also looking at a Bach fugue that has left out the whole rests because the soprano voice doesn't start until m13. So in that case, I'll approve!
You cannot view this attachment.

Purple1222119

Great! Given that a Bach fugue demonstrates leaving out the whole rests, I'll opt to do the same. Thanks again for all your help!

Latios212

This looks great! I'm not super familiar with what sheets for fugues traditionally look like, but this sheet is clear and sensible.

Notes all look good, just a few minor comments about the visuals before I accept:
- Have you given the staccato placement any thought?
- In m. 7 I would suggest raising the quarter rest to normal mid-staff height on the bottom later - the notes are around that horizontal level. You may want to move all the LH rests in m. 8 and 10 up as well? In particular besides putting the lower rests at normal height raising the top one would make it a bit more apparent that the voice is moving upwards to the top staff.
- The very last LH note sounds more like a half note than a whole note.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Purple1222119

- I didn't realize staccato placement settings were something that were changed by default in the new version! I kinda like them over the stems aesthetically, but I strongly agree with all the arguments for them being notehead centered, so I've adjusted that setting!
- Adjusted the last LH note.
- Moved the suggested LH rests up to normal height. Just want to make sure, are the adjusted quarter rests in the top LH voice at m. 8 and 10 spaced well? Wasn't sure how far above the staff they should be.

Latios212

Alrighty! Yeah those rests in m. 8/10 look good. As does everything else :)
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Zeta