News:

Don't forget to submit your daily replacement!

Main Menu

Atcero's Halloween Sheet

Started by Atcero, September 30, 2021, 03:51:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atcero

Oh boy spoopy month, that means its Castlevania season.

[NES] Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse
Mad Forest: [PDF] [MIDI] [MUS] [MUSX] [MSCZ]
Quote from: Dudeman"When Atcero and Dudeman are busy whooping Maelstrom's ass, Alfonzo mans the Spirit Train."

Spoiler
[close]

Zeila

Out of curiosity, are you able to create new files with the regular Maestro font instead of Finale Maestro? I'm wondering if those would open properly in older versions so that the mus files aren't messed up. Anyways, this is a nice song :3

• some places could use staccato markings like m2 beat 1.5, m3 beat 3 and 3.5, nearly all of the eighth notes in m5 (both RH and LH), etc. Although in m5, you could make beat 2.25 in the RH a sixteenth note instead to be more consistent
  • m3-4 RH idk if this was intentional but the top notes should be lowered an octave. Also, the B on beat 4.75 sounds like a B#
  • m4 RH maybe you could change the Eb to a D# and Ab to G# so that it ascends as sharps and avoids having to cancel out accidentals with a proceeding natural; same goes for changing the Db to a C# in the LH
  • m5/9 RH the harmony notes sound like A instead of C
  • m6/10 RH when you have a tie on a note right when another layers comes in like on beat 2, then I think it would look nicer if you flipped the tie so that it points up and away from the newly introduced layer. In this case though, it sounds like there should be a tie between beats 1.75 and 2 of the middle layer, so that would happen naturally anyways (if you were to split beat 1 into two layers too so that it ties properly)
  • m8/12 RH there's a D playing on beat 2.75, and you could bring it up an octave so that there's not such a big jump to the arpeggios
  • m12 LH it might be better to write the Ab's as G#'s
  • m13-15,17-19 you wrote this differently from m5 by having a dotted eighth note extend past a beat when it shouldn't
  • m13/14/17/18 it sounds like these briefly crescendo up until the end of the measure before returning back to the previous dynamic volume, so you can incorporate that if you'd like
  • m18 LH you wrote beat 4 differently from m14, and I think sharps make more sense

Atcero

Got that all fixed, thank you! I will say for beat 4.75 in measure 3, its actually a C. Idk why I have it in my original split file but not in the merged, same with the A's in m5 and m9, dont know why I made those Cs. I did not do the crescendo up because i honestly dont know how to implement that properly but yes that would be awesome to have.

Also i changed the font but I have no idea if it worked, we'll see i guess
Quote from: Dudeman"When Atcero and Dudeman are busy whooping Maelstrom's ass, Alfonzo mans the Spirit Train."

Spoiler
[close]

Static

Quote from: Atcero on October 06, 2021, 08:31:10 AMAlso i changed the font but I have no idea if it worked, we'll see i guess
Looks the same as before on my end. Until Finale resolves this issue with a later update (well, if they do), I think you should just use an older version for now. If you're able to export the MuseScore file again and put it in v26 or older, that would be very helpful for all of us I think.
Anyways, I'll just be looking at the PDF for now.

• This piece is in D minor, so change the key signature to 1 flat. To avoid changing accidentals, check "Hold notes to original pitches chromatically" in the keysig dialog box.
  • m1-2 RH should be an octave lower, so I'd recommend putting it in bass clef there, and changing clefs at m3. The 16th note pickup to m3 can be played in the LH instead.
  • m3 RH beat 4.5: Change the Cn to B# in the lower voice to keep the parallel 6ths and to lead chromatically to C# in m4.
  • m4 beat 2: Use a staccato 8th note instead of a 16th note. This looks cleaner (no 16th rest), takes up less space, and, at this tempo, will be performed identically anyway.
  • m4 LH beat 4.75: Change Db to C# since it goes chromatically up to D (similar to the RH).
  • Anytime you have that 16th-16th-(16th rest)-16th rhythm (such as m7 RH beat 2, m11 RH beat 2, m12 RH beat 1, etc.) you can rewrite those with staccato 8th notes, as you did in m5/9 RH. Like with m4, it just helps clean up the sheet visually by reducing 16th note rest clutter.
    Alternatively, make the staccato 8th note rhythms into 16th notes instead, and leave the rest as-is. If you do this, you should beam across the 16th rest (m7 for example isn't beamed; you can press "/" on the 16th rest to automatically beam it).
  • m5/9 RH: Unlike m7-8/11-12, there is no lower voice here (at least not one that lines up with the melody). I would either include it in a 2nd Layer like you did in m10, or leave it out (since it doesn't sound like it would really be feasible with one hand there).
  • m5/9 RH beats 3-4: These 8th notes should be staccato (unlike m6/10).
  • m6/10 RH beats 3: The tied D in the lower layer is held for all of beat 3, so you can make that a quarter note instead of an 8th note.
  • m7/11 RH: Have you tried testing this out on a keyboard? There's some spots that I think are a bit of a stretch to play, these measures being one of them. If you want to keep the dyads on beats 3-4, I would leave out the offbeat 16ths. If you want to keep the offbeat 16ths, I would raise them up an octave and remove the lower note on each dyad preceding it (beats 3.5, 4, 4.5). Let me know if you have any confusion here.
  • m8/12 RH beats 3-4: For similar reasons to the above, consider leaving out the bottom 16th notes here.
  • m13: It gets to a piano level immediately with the bass, not when the melody enters. You can move the p left so it's aligned with beat 1 instead of 1.5.
  • m16 RH: There are some additional 16ths in the lower voice you could add here if you want.
  • m19 RH beat 4: Lower note should be E instead of D.
  • m20 RH: This is another spot that I think is almost impossible to play accurately at this tempo. Consider the hand jumps necessary to play the downbeat, rush down to that arpeggio, then jump back up - 4 times in one bar. Instead of transcribing the lower voice arpeggio, consider adjusting it by moving the notes around so they span an octave or less, but still keeping the chords the same. If you need help or suggestions, let me know.
    For example, on beat 1, you could write C#-A-C#-E.
  • m22/24 RH beat 1: The Ab half note in the lower voice should be G# (E7 chord, E-G#-B-D).
  • m22/24 LH beat 2.75: Ab should be G# since it goes chromatically up to A.
  • m24 RH beats 3-4: Like with m8/12, consider removing the lower 16th notes for playability.

I was going to comment on how you could include some of the added harmonies of the VRC6 version - however upon further listening, there are actually quite a few substantial differences with regards to the bassline, rhythm, and melody, enough to warrant it's own sheet perhaps. You could also add it to this sheet as a variation if you want (see the Animal Crossing hourly theme sheets for an example). Up to you though.

Atcero

Updated, thank you! And yes, for all the CVIII it would be worth considering a Japanese section if the CV nerd group wants to do those cause there are a quite a few differences imo for all the songs if i remember correctly.

The one thing I did not fully change were the runs in m8/12/24 though i removed a note in m24 for playability. I think its playable with practice, albeit maybe slightly tricky (people can omit the notes they dont like tho too)

Please try the mus file cause it seems to now be working (in the folder)

Spoiler
[close]

Static

Whatever you did with the .mus, it was a success! I can see the notes.

Some extra things:
  • m3 LH beat 2: Change the 16th to a staccato 8th to match the RH.
  • m6/10 RH beats 1-2: Flip the tie here since it's in the upper layer (you can select the first note of the tie and press ctrl+f).
  • m7 RH: You can delete the Layer 2 rest since there isn't anything there anyway. Should look like m11 RH.
  • m8/12 RH beat 4: I would consider moving the B here (under the E) to a G instead, to avoid having to repeat the B with one finger between beat 3.75 and 4.
  • m16 RH: These were the extra 16ths I mentioned. Up to you if you want to add them or not, but it doesn't make it too much harder to play imo:
  • m20 RH beat 3: To avoid the repeated A across beats 3-4, consider swapping the C and A on beat 3. So, in other words, the 16th notes on beat 3 would go Eb-A-Eb-C.
  • m22/24 LH beat 2.75: Ab should be G# since it goes chromatically up to A.
  • m24 RH beat 4.5: Similar to what I said about m8/12 RH, I would probably remove the A on beat 4.5 to avoid the repeated A. You could change it to F, but that's already in the LH, so I think it would be better to just have the one note here.

Atcero

Should be all updated and ready to go, thank you!

Spoiler
[close]

Static

Looks good! Just make sure to get this last bit when you can:

Quote from: Static on October 15, 2021, 08:16:16 PMm3 LH beat 2: Change the 16th to a staccato 8th to match the RH.
My bad here, I meant m4.

Bloop

Nice work on this one (and glad you could figure out the font stuff :p)

-m5 and 9: I think the stems of the dyads in the R.H. on beat 1.5 should point upwards instead of downwards: I believe the tie doesn't really influence that. Moreover, you could change the C# in the L.H. to Db as a chromatic descending line from D.
-m6 and 10: I hear the A in the R.H. on beat 1.75 being held onto beat 2 instead of restruck, which would mean moving the A's in beat 1 to the second layer two. It also helps a bit with the playability of these two beats.
-m7, 11, 13 and 17: You could change the Ab's in these bars to G#'s, as they're used as a leading tone to the A in the next bar (technically these are German augmented sixth chords, which is a term I wasn't expecting to use outside of music theory classes). If you wanna keep them as Ab's, that's fine too: in that case, you could add a courtesy accidental to the first A in m14 and 18 (8 and 12 are a bit less ambiguous in this case)
Talking about courtesy accidentals, you could add one to the first Bb in the L.H. in m7 and 11 too. And lastly about these two measures: the Ab-Bb (or G#-Bb) dyad in beat 1.5 could use a staccato dot too.
-m19: The Ab in the R.H. on beat 3.5 should be a G# (chromatic line to the A in m20, and you have G# in the bass too)
-m20: You could move the L.H. 16ths in beats 3.25 and 3.75 up an octave, if you want, as a tremolo-kind of figure is a bit easier to play while the R.H. is doing the crazy arpeggios. You could also change the Eb in the R.H. on beats 3 and 3.5 to D#, as a leading tone to the E.

Atcero

Got that all updated, thank you so much!

Spoiler
[close]

Bloop

With this:
Quote from: Bloop on October 18, 2021, 07:25:34 AM-m5 and 9: I think the stems of the dyads in the R.H. on beat 1.5 should point upwards instead of downwards: I believe the tie doesn't really influence that.
I meant the F-A dyad after the first 8th rest, not the 16th-8th-16th beam afterwards. It should look like this:
You cannot view this attachment.

You also forgot the R.H. Ab's in m7-11, but aside from that, it looks good!

Atcero

Oh gotcha, sorry about that! Should be all updated now

Spoiler
[close]

Bloop

Great! I've made a few final little changes with Atcero's consent, so this is accepted! You cannot view this attachment.