[NDS] Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow - "Pitch Black Intrusion" (Replacement) by Atcero

Started by Zeta, October 03, 2021, 02:30:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Castlevania
Game: Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
Console: Nintendo DS
Title: Pitch Black Intrusion
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Atcero

Replacement Information:

Links to Existing Sheet: MUS | MIDI | PDF
Replacement Type: Challenge (new arranger)

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]

Libera

Quote from: Libera on September 30, 2021, 01:58:12 PMI talked to Atcero and we agreed to not rush Pitch Black Intrusion and move it into subs.

As stated above, I've now pulled this sheet into submissions for Atcero.

Atcero

Quote from: Dudeman"When Atcero and Dudeman are busy whooping Maelstrom's ass, Alfonzo mans the Spirit Train."

Spoiler
[close]

Latios212

What needs to be done next for this one? Are you two still discussing some details / do you want some more input on anything in particular? Happy to weigh in on something if needed.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Static

Quote from: Latios212 on October 07, 2021, 04:17:45 PMWhat needs to be done next for this one? Are you two still discussing some details / do you want some more input on anything in particular? Happy to weigh in on something if needed.
When I was discussing this with Libera the other day, we agreed on a few changes that should be made for sure:
- m18/22 RH beat 4: The C should be moved to A to fit with the Dmaj/A chord.
- m31 RH beat 1: Fn should be F# (Dmaj chord).
- m31-32 RH: The lowest voice (lower octave doubling) should be removed - it's too much of a difference from the previous bars and makes it sound a bit too loud/full there compared to the original which is just three voices upon further listening.

Libera and I had also disgreed on the intervals in m7-8 RH; I still hear those as they're currently written.

And other than that, we were just talking about the accompaniment patterns. I am still fine with the current patterns since they match the chords. However, changing the patterns to something more in line with the original track would be a good idea too.

- My suggestion for m9-24 would be a simple drum-mimicking pattern similar to the one used in your Eneomaos Machine Tower sheet:

- m25-32 sound fine to me, but consider moving the F in m25 to a D to avoid the low-register tritone.

Libera

Quote from: Latios212 on October 07, 2021, 04:17:45 PMWhat needs to be done next for this one? Are you two still discussing some details / do you want some more input on anything in particular? Happy to weigh in on something if needed.

It's just been a busy week, although you're welcome to weigh in on anything if you want to.  Probably most useful would be about the accompaniment pattern in bars 9-24 and the voicings in the chords/melody in bars 7-8.

Other than the specific points that Static outlined, my major concerns were with the accompaniment pattern, particularly in bars 9-24.

I can see that you're trying to mimic somewhat the arpeggio high synth thing that comes in for bar 17, but I think there are some issues with this.  One is that this part isn't present at all for bars 9-16, so it's weird that it's affecting the arrangement there.  Another is that now that the arpeggios change to fit the chords (and also that it's in a much lower register than in the original) it doesn't really come across much like the original arpeggios at all.  The main point is that I think this gives this section of the arrangement a completely different feel/vibe to the original; the flowing accompaniment present just doesn't really reflect the original all that well.

Quote from: Static on October 07, 2021, 05:03:31 PM- My suggestion for m9-24 would be a simple drum-mimicking pattern similar to the one used in your Eneomaos Machine Tower sheet:

This is also what I would recommend, but it probably isn't the only option to give the arrangement more of the rhythmic aspect of the original which is what is missing at the moment.

With regards to the accompaniment pattern in 25-32, I think it's better than the one in 9-24, but it still sounds a little odd in places.  I know that the upper notes are coming from the strings, but when they're moved lower some of these patterns sound quite muddy on the piano.  Especially since the strings are actually pretty minimal in the mix of the original, I think it'd be a good idea to substitute some of these upper notes for ones that sound less muddy.  Particularly changing the Cs to Es in bar 28, and the Es to Gs in bar 30.  You could also go for another percussion inspired accompaniment pattern here, which is probably what I would do, but I figured that you probably wanted to mix things up more here, and this pattern is already pretty rhythmic.

Quote from: Static on October 07, 2021, 05:03:31 PMLibera and I had also disgreed on the intervals in m7-8 RH; I still hear those as they're currently written.

I guess it's still pretty unclear to me which voices go which way here and what should really be on the top, but it's probably fine.

Some other things that weren't mentioned by Static:
-The note on beat 4 of bar 34 (LH) should be an octave E a fourth up from the previous octave B.  At least if you want to be consistent with what you were doing in the rest of the two bars beforehand.
-You could add in the harmonies on these arpeggios in bars 36 and 38 (they're all a minor third below the notes you currently have) and wouldn't be that hard to play.
-Maybe you want to edit the ties in the chords in bars 7-8 so they're not colliding.
-There isn't a bass G# at the end of every four bar phrase in bars 9-24; it's only in bars 16/20.  It should be an E in bars 12/24.

If you need any clarification on anything or help, let me know.

Regarding v27 and this musx being very difficult for me to work with, I should mention that your Platinum Moonlight sheet was completely fine for me to open.  Was there something that you did to that sheet to make it work, because it would be very helpful if we could work out how to make it so we can look at your finale files properly.  I've got the new fonts now installed, but it still throws up a bunch of errors with ties and time signatures.

Atcero

Ok finally able to update.

So, I have not yet changed the bass for m9-24. I'm playing around with a few ideas but nothing yet on that. I did change up the bass in m25-32 but just let me know if this is still not a great bass.
Also updated all the other notes you have. I'll have time hopefully to work on it tonight to see if I can get something done for the bass for m9-24 that works for both of us cause I really do want to keep the arpeggiation. 

Thank you!
Quote from: Dudeman"When Atcero and Dudeman are busy whooping Maelstrom's ass, Alfonzo mans the Spirit Train."

Spoiler
[close]

Static

Quote from: Atcero on October 13, 2021, 09:24:02 AMAlso updated all the other notes you have. I'll have time hopefully to work on it tonight to see if I can get something done for the bass for m9-24 that works for both of us cause I really do want to keep the arpeggiation. 
I was thinking of this part recently, and it struck me - I think there's a way to keep the arpeggios while still providing a more driving percussive sound. I guess it was so simple I didn't really consider it before:

It sounds pretty nice and isn't very hard to play either.

Also, the accompaniment for m25-32 I think sounds better too, though for m25 you might want to consider making the top Bs into As instead. The constant tritones kinda sound weird even though that is technically part of the chord too. Using the 7th (A) helps mellow the sound out a little bit.

Atcero

I love that idea. I think I ignored it as a possibility cause the original arrangement had it and I didnt wanna focus too much on what the original had, so i shoved it in the back of my head as a "do not use" even though its 100% viable. It should be all updated now, thank you!

Spoiler
[close]

Static

Looks good, but be sure to unhide those 8th rests in m36/38 LH. They were visible before, but not now.
Also, try creating the .mus file the same way you did for your Mad Forest sheet - that one looks correct on my end now.

Atcero

Spoiler
[close]

Libera

Quote from: Libera on October 08, 2021, 01:51:21 PM-The note on beat 4 of bar 34 (LH) should be an octave E a fourth up from the previous octave B.  At least if you want to be consistent with what you were doing in the rest of the two bars beforehand.

Maybe you missed this point?  Otherwise this looks good to me.  I'm glad we got to some sort of compromise on the left hand in bars 9-24.

Atcero

Spoiler
[close]

Atcero

Spoiler
[close]