Series: Mario Kart
Game: Mario Kart: Double Dash!!
Console: Nintendo GameCube
Title: Rainbow Road
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Latios212

Replacement Information:

Links to Existing Sheet: MUS | MIDI | PDF
Replacement Type: Challenge (new arranger)

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]

Latios212

A bit late for the colors project, but it is finally time to replace this :)
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

LeviR.star

Oh boy! This sheet looks really good (now, the original, on the other hand... :-\)

Thanks for replacing this!
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

Zeila

Nice job

- m13-18 I think it's worth adding the harmonies to select notes here. Most of the intervals are consistent so it wouldn't be that much harder to incorporate them
- m20 there's an A here like in m4
- m21-26 I think including some chord hits would be nice. It's pretty funky here and the current sheet is missing out on that. You could experiment with mixing up the chords w/ either the right hand or the left hand. Even doing something like m23 for all of those measures instead of incorporating octaves would be better imo. Here's a sample mock-up of modifying the LH instead of the RH, and feel free to do whatever with it. If you think keeping it the way you have it right now is better, then that's okay too
You cannot view this attachment.
- m23 LH beat 1.5 it sounds like there's a C playing here just like in m24 (also similar to m27/28 w/ the F instead)
- m32/40 LH beat 3.75-4.5 has a tied C

Dekkadeci

I should have listened to this transcription back in your thread, Latios212.
  • I agree with Zeila on adding the harmonies to Bars 13-16. I actually think the harmonies get dropped in Bars 17-18, so I don't think those 2 measures need to be adjusted similarly.
  • Bar 20 actually mirrors Bar 4 less than you'd think - I don't hear the G above Middle C in the original for Bar 20 - the F above Middle C is a lot more prominent there.
  • I don't know whether your current set-up in Bar 40 is for ease of playing, but the "brass" harmonies actually start in Beat 4 there in the original, not Beat 4.5 like you currently have it.
  • Whenever I sing Bar 47, I sing the melody's (right hand) C note an octave above what you have written there (probably influenced by the high glissando there). While I do hear a lower C in Bar 47 in the original, it's actually a Middle C so I don't think you need to respect it. I'd also appreciate any nod towards the high glissando in Bars 47-48 - even substituting Bar 47's melody C note with the first part of the glissando would be enough.

Latios212

Ahh sorry for being late it's been something of a wild month for me @_@

Quote from: Zeila on October 11, 2021, 04:11:51 PMNice job
Quote from: Dekkadeci on October 12, 2021, 08:33:16 AMI should have listened to this transcription back in your thread, Latios212.
;) and thanks for the feedback

Quote from: Zeila on October 11, 2021, 04:11:51 PM- m13-18 I think it's worth adding the harmonies to select notes here. Most of the intervals are consistent so it wouldn't be that much harder to incorporate them
Quote from: Dekkadeci on October 12, 2021, 08:33:16 AM
  • I agree with Zeila on adding the harmonies to Bars 13-16. I actually think the harmonies get dropped in Bars 17-18, so I don't think those 2 measures need to be adjusted similarly.
Yep, added to 13-16

Quote from: Zeila on October 11, 2021, 04:11:51 PM- m20 there's an A here like in m4
- m23 LH beat 1.5 it sounds like there's a C playing here just like in m24 (also similar to m27/28 w/ the F instead)
- m32/40 LH beat 3.75-4.5 has a tied C
  • I don't know whether your current set-up in Bar 40 is for ease of playing, but the "brass" harmonies actually start in Beat 4 there in the original, not Beat 4.5 like you currently have it.
Good catches, fixed

Quote from: Zeila on October 11, 2021, 04:11:51 PM- m21-26 I think including some chord hits would be nice. It's pretty funky here and the current sheet is missing out on that. You could experiment with mixing up the chords w/ either the right hand or the left hand. Even doing something like m23 for all of those measures instead of incorporating octaves would be better imo. Here's a sample mock-up of modifying the LH instead of the RH, and feel free to do whatever with it. If you think keeping it the way you have it right now is better, then that's okay too
You cannot view this attachment.
I think I would prefer not to, at the risk of deviating from the overall left hand pattern and making it suddenly much more difficult. It could be a bit empty with just the bass and melody, but the RH already does a good job of outlining the syncopated rhythm and major seventh in the chord so I think it's fine as is

• Bar 20 actually mirrors Bar 4 less than you'd think - I don't hear the G above Middle C in the original for Bar 20 - the F above Middle C is a lot more prominent there.
I definitely still hear the G there, and while it might not be the same voice as the next 3 notes I put it in the upper layer to have the lower layer resolve on the F you pointed out. I think that makes the most sense to me...

• Whenever I sing Bar 47, I sing the melody's (right hand) C note an octave above what you have written there (probably influenced by the high glissando there). While I do hear a lower C in Bar 47 in the original, it's actually a Middle C so I don't think you need to respect it. I'd also appreciate any nod towards the high glissando in Bars 47-48 - even substituting Bar 47's melody C note with the first part of the glissando would be enough.
I'm fairly certain the C (above middle C) that I wrote is there in the original, and I don't think the glissando works super well on piano. That said, I'm more than happy to octave double it and I think this is a good nod to that voice.

Files updated, thanks again![/list][/list]

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Static

Hey, sorry for the wait on this one. It looks good, so I just have a few details to point out:
  • m7/15 RH beat 2: This 8th note sounds more staccato-y compared to the surrounding ones.
  • m12 RH beat 1: The melody is rearticulated on the downbeat here.
  • m16 RH beat 4.5: Any reason the A isn't tied over?
  • m17 RH: Beat 1 should be an 8th note/staccato quarter, and beat 2.5 should be tied to beat 3 (m17 and 18 have swapped note lengths).
  • m24 RH beat 4: This note should be slurred/tenuto.
  • m30/38 RH beat 2.5: This is actually tied, even though the MK64 original has it rearticulated there.

In general, I think you could try to include some more of the colorful (pun intended) harmonies in this piece on pages 1-2, either through varying up the LH accompaniment, or maybe removing the bottom RH octaves and putting stuff in Layer 2, etc. If you want any ideas on specific spots lmk, I just thought it sounded a little sparse at times.
I'd also vary the dynamics throughout the piece, since it's not just forte throughout. m21 for example is a noticeable drop coming from before, and then that lets you crescendo over bars 27-28 into 29.

Latios212

Quote from: Static on November 21, 2021, 05:22:46 PM
  • m16 RH beat 4.5: Any reason the A isn't tied over?
To expose the G in the other layer, but it's totally fine to keep the A and play both with the RH, so I put the tied A in

Quote from: Static on November 21, 2021, 05:22:46 PM
  • m24 RH beat 4: This note should be slurred/tenuto.
I just removed the staccato since it doesn't sound toooo heavily held or anything

I think I got the rest of the stuff above including dynamics. It doesn't feel like there's much variation to me, but I agree with the changes to make 21-28 softer.

About the accompaniment - had a quick chat on Discord. I added some harmonies to m. 17-18 as whole notes, since the melody plays single notes there I wanted to keep the octaves as is. The rest I think I wanted to mostly leave as is. In particular I could probably have went in a different direction for the entire arrangement to make the LH accompaniment more chordy and less bassy... but that'd be a different arrangement :) I think what I have here works as is, but lemme know if you think anything else really should be changed.

Files updated, thanks for the feedback!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Static

Looks good, the more I listen and play this sheet the more I'm understanding the arrangement choices here. I think what you have works perfectly fine.

Libera

This looks solid so I don't have much to add.  Just a couple of points I noticed.

-In bar 31/39 the arrangement has a C/E chord which is hiding the fact that the C isn't really a chord tone here since it's over an Em chord.  I think you could add a Bn in on beat 1 in the second layer (lower) to rectify this and it wouldn't get confused with the melody (as might happen if you added in at the top).  It's also not going to sound too dissonant since the C and the Bn aren't being struck at the same time.  Something to consider anyway.
-The bass in the final bar sounds like it ends with a short low C on beat 4, rather than a G on beat 4.5 like everywhere else.  It gives the loop a little bit of finality to it.

Latios212

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Libera

Zeta