News:

Congratulations!! You, yes, YOU, dear user, have been selected for the "You Read This News Item" award! Click here for your prize!!

Main Menu

[GB] The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - "Wind Fish's Egg" by Nine Lives

Started by Zeta, October 14, 2021, 04:10:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: The Legend of Zelda
Game: The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
Console: Game Boy
Title: Wind Fish's Egg
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Nine Lives

[attachment deleted by admin]

NineLives

Just finished the remake and the game in general for the first time today. There were a good chunk of songs already up on the site, but I'm glad to have found this one wasn't taken yet.

Bloop

What a crazy song lol, nice work though!

Here are my comments:
-There's an 8th note pick up measure at the start (a low 8th note E in the L.H.)
-The parts in m1, 3 and 7-8, and a lot of other places are all an octave up in the original: did you choose to do them an octave lower?
-m10: You could write the Eb in the L.H. as D# (Emmaj7 chord, kinda like in m5)
-m15-21: I hear this R.H. melody an octave down
-m17: I'd write this as either a Db-F dyad with a Db bass (and maybe a courtesy accidental on the D in m18), or a C#-E# dyad with a C# bass, so the dyad looks like a third instead of a fourth.
-m24: The A on beat 2.75 should be a Bb (or, you could change the F-Bb to E#-A#, so you don't have to natural the B on beat 3)
-m23-26: You could maybe write the C-Fn dyads as B#-E# dyads (and the Fn's in m26 as E#'s), as that would technically be the correct way to chromatically rise to the F#, but if you prefer what you have, that's fine too! It's possible the B#-E#'s saves some of the naturals, but it does add other ones.
Another thing is that I think m23-25 is in 3/4: the bass pattern will stay the same throughout the (now) 4 bars, and the E-Fn-F# (or E-E#-F#) figure will always start on the first beat.
-m27 (or m28 if you go 3/4): you don't need double barlines after time signature changes, unless you really want to signify a new section of the song. Double barlines do appear after key signature changes, though.

As for the structure, this song is really weird, lol. In the link you provided, the first 8 measures don't repeat the first time around, but on all subsequent repeats it does. Do you know what happens exactly in-game?
Also, as m28-41 are the same as m1-14, I think you could do something like this:
-m1-8 :ll (maybe with "Only repeat on D.C.", if it really does only play once the first time around)
-m9-14 with a Fine and ending barline at the end of m14 (maybe m9-11 in one system and m12-14 in another system, so the fine is at the end of a system)
-m15-27 (or 28 with the 3/4 time signature), with a "D.C. al Fine" at the end.

I'm personally not too worried if you keep it at that, but you could put a performance note somewhere to explain that the performer has to play the whole thing again after finishing at Fine.

NineLives

All right, so I updated the sheet. I also updated the reference. I didn't know it was any different from the one I used before, so I sort of just put up the one that was easier to find. The one above is now the one I used to arrange the sheet before and it's accurate to how it starts in-game, which doesn't include the 8th note pickup and has the first 8 measures repeated both times.

Bloop

Alright, that makes things easier, haha! Nice work!
Just a few little things:
-About the 8va markings, I think it looks a bit more natural to break up some of the 8va markings so they don't go over longer periods of rests (mostly m1-3 and m9-11, ). I don't know if there are strict rules for it though. Also, the start of the 8va in m1 should be nudged a bit to the left, so it's in the same place as the start of other 8vas.
-m24: I didn't notice this at first, but the A in beat 3.75 should actually be an A#.
-m26: I see you changed the Cn to B# in beat 2.5, but I think it's better to leave this one at Cn, so it's clearer that this is a perfect fifth

NineLives

Bloop

Great! Then this'll get an abloopval! You cannot view this attachment.

Latios212

Looks great! A few comments from me:
- I think the tremolo lines are a bit too close to the stems in m. 8/12/13, they're also right up against the A sharps. The last measure looks a bit more normal. You can use the Beam Extension Tool to fiddle around with the endpoints.
- You have more space on page 2, so you don't have to put 5 systems on page 1. In particular, the 8va above m. 9-10 is closer to the second system right now than the third system. Moving the last system down to the last page would also put the page break at a section change and put the Fine nicely at the end of the first page. Make sure you respace the systems on page 1 to look nice and space the systems on page 2 evenly if you do this.
- All of the E's in m. 9 LH beats 2-3 should be Fn's instead.
- The 8vas in m. 7 and 11 start a bit too far to the left - notice how they hang above the previous eighth rest. They should be extending just over the first note they apply to.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

NineLives

Mkie dokie! I believe I got everything! If there's anything else or I missed something, let me know!

Latios212

Great! I think the only minor comment I have remaining is about the 8vas, the first one still starts too far to the left and some of them are a bit high above the notes.

I've poked those around a bit as part of doing the articulation reset anyway, so will accept now :)
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Zeta