[Wii] Super Mario Galaxy - "Final Battle with Bowser" (Replacement) by XiaoMigros

Started by Zeta, November 08, 2021, 04:15:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Super Mario
Game: Super Mario Galaxy
Console: Wii
Title: Final Battle with Bowser
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: XiaoMigros

Replacement Information:

Links to Existing Sheet: MUS | MIDI | PDF
Replacement Type: Challenge (new arranger)

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]

Latios212

Helped XiaoMigros make edits to this sheet (we need this replacement :) ) -
Quote from: Latios212 on May 31, 2021, 01:53:27 PM- The "gliss." text on the glissandos isn't necessary, the way line is indication enough to play a glissando
- The last system sounds like it should be one sudden dynamic change past the last chord strike instead of a slow diminuendo across the entire system so I'd suggest just putting a mf in m. 45 instead. (That chord could also use an accent+staccato articulation.)
- I'm not too sure about the need for that RH marking in measure 2. Firstly, do you want pedal in the first four measures? I would suggest yes - in doing so you can make the powerful strikes ring out more. If you use pedal, you could simply have the RH play the C#/G# line and leave the left hand where it was to avoid any hand crossing.

Other stuff as I check the whole thing:
- Rests in m. 2 LH should be moved down (top layer to normal rest height, lower layer further below the staff)
- I'd suggest removing the courtesy accidentals in m. 13 and 21. They're playing the same chords as the other similar measure in their sections and happen to also be after a system break right next to the keysig, so I don't think those would be misread.
- Last LH note of m. 24 sounds like Eb (same one as on beat 3) rather than Bb
- Would suggest adding in an A to the chord in m. 25 to fill it out a bit more (Dsus4). Similar to above, I don't think the courtesy natural is really needed here.
- Lower layer beat 1 of m. 26 is misaligned (Special Tools > Note Position Tool > right click and Remove Manual Adjustments)
- You could remove the bottom A in the chord in m. 27-28 since the A is already present in the lower layer (if you do so, make sure that re-align that A in the lower layer)
- It's a bit tricky to hear, but I think m. 30-32 LH would be better in fifths rather than octaves, like the previous new measures?
- I think the second chord in m. 29 has a D instead of Eb in it
- The last octave in m. 40 LH sounds like Bb rather than Bn
- Dynamics in m. 33 and 41 could be nudged left a bit to be centered around the noteheads

The last thing I have to do is check the chords in m. 41-44 but I'm getting a bit tired... so I'll come back to that later

I got everything above plus:
- a few miscellaneous poking/prodding of some spacing
- tempo is 152 instead of 145 I think
and I'm pretty much done checking at this point. For whoever checks this next, a look at the bottom layer in m. 2 and the chords in m. 41-44 would be appreciated - as I wasn't super sure about those.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Bloop

Quote from: Latios212 on November 08, 2021, 04:19:38 PMa look at the bottom layer in m. 2
I think it's correct, though the timpani part makes the A sound a bit more jarring than it should. Maybe moving that A or adding an A down an octave separates it from that part enough so our ears don't think of the two notes as an interval, but leaving it as is work too.

Quote from: Latios212 on November 08, 2021, 04:19:38 PMand the chords in m. 41-44
It's really hard to hear what's in between the octave doubled melody: I edited the files with something else, which I think is a bit closer to what's happening. I'm pretty sure it's not just minor chords though.
Along with that, I edited the files with the following changes:
-m1-4: The tempo here is q = 76, it's half time from the part that starts in m5. The end of m4 also has the same rhythm as the following bass pattern. I added a staccato at this last note too.
-m27-28: I don't think it's possible to hold the chord in layer 1 (except maybe for the very big handed). Using a pedal wouldn't work either because of the bassline, so I reduced the length of the chord. This allowed me to add the second trumpet voice in too, so there's some variation after the two bars before.
-m31: Added cautionary accidentals on the En's
-m33-40: Added accents in the R.H.
-m45: Moved the mf a bit to the left, so it's above the E

Latios212

Quote from: Bloop on November 29, 2021, 09:47:59 AMI think it's correct, though the timpani part makes the A sound a bit more jarring than it should. Maybe moving that A or adding an A down an octave separates it from that part enough so our ears don't think of the two notes as an interval, but leaving it as is work too.
Ooh I really like octave doubling it below. It definitely helps to differentiate it from the upper layer, and makes it sound more powerful too.

The chords for 41+ sound fine at a quick play, no issues from me there. The other changes look good - for the tempo marking I'd suggest maybe a (quarter = half) marking after the new 152 tempo mark in m. 5.

If those couple of things sound good to you Bloop, you can make those last couple of edits and accept? :P
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Zeta