Game: Tomodachi Life
Console: Nintendo 3DS
Title: Mii Edit
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Nine Lives

[attachment deleted by admin]

NineLives

Code_Name_Geek

Yay it's nice to see someone doing Tomodachi Life music!! I love this game and this looks like a really fun arrangement to play, nice job :)

I noticed a few issues with the eighth note beaming:
-Split the beams where you have 8th notes on beats 3.5-4 in m. 6/10 in the RH (this makes it clearer that it starts off the beat).
-Same as above, except this time on beats 1.5-2 in m. 19/25/33 in the RH.
-I would also recommend splitting the beams between beats whenever you have three 8th notes beamed together (for example 2nd half of m. 8/14 and 1st half of m. 12/16 in the RH, but there are lots of other spots). This is less of a hard rule than the above, but three 8th notes beamed together looks very similar to a triplet so splitting them makes it easier to read imo.

I'm also wondering about the notes with both staccatos and slurs - are those meant to be played differently in some way? Just curious what you were going for since they still sound pretty separated to me in the original.

Anyways hope that helps!

NineLives

Quote from: Code_Name_Geek on December 05, 2021, 10:05:11 PMI'm also wondering about the notes with both staccatos and slurs - are those meant to be played differently in some way? Just curious what you were going for since they still sound pretty separated to me in the original.
Those are mostly to separate the lead voice from the parts where it's mainly the accompaniment. I've had that illustrated before in a couple other sheets as it was a proposed a few times. For the most part, it's for the harp notes when the lead's silent.
For the other stuff, I think I split up all the beams in the ways you suggested. If I missed something, let me know!

Code_Name_Geek

Quote from: NineLives on December 06, 2021, 12:53:17 PMThose are mostly to separate the lead voice from the parts where it's mainly the accompaniment. I've had that illustrated before in a couple other sheets as it was a proposed a few times. For the most part, it's for the harp notes when the lead's silent.
Gotcha, makes sense.

Quote from: NineLives on December 06, 2021, 12:53:17 PMFor the other stuff, I think I split up all the beams in the ways you suggested. If I missed something, let me know!
Looks mostly good! Just a few more of the 3 note ones - I see one in the RH in m. 20 and then some in the LH in m. 22/26/30/34. I think that's it though.

NineLives

Whoppybones

This song sounds super fun, and I love the way you managed to incorporate both voices into the right hand! One note of my own:
-m20-21, I hear more notes than just the octaves. True, they're beneath the octaves in the original, but you could probably place them in the middle of the octaves without much trouble, kinda like how you moved the electric piano voice up an octave.

I'm super excited to play this one! :D Great work!

NineLives

Quote from: Whoppybones on December 30, 2021, 10:09:27 AM-m20-21, I hear more notes than just the octaves. True, they're beneath the octaves in the original, but you could probably place them in the middle of the octaves without much trouble, kinda like how you moved the electric piano voice up an octave.
I think I got it. Should be all updated!

Bloop

Cute elevator-music-ish piece! :D

-m4: I hear something else:
You cannot view this attachment.
-m13: I think I hear a Bb instead of a C in the L.H. on beat 3.
-m16: It think you should write the C# as a Db, because of the Bbm chord here (also makes it a bit clearer that this is a perfect 5th down from the melody). I also believe there's not a Dn on beat 3 either, but also a Db.
-m24 and 32: In the lower R.H. voice on beats 1.5 and 2, I hear D-C instead of F-Eb.
-m25 and on: In the L.H. you sometimes use staccato+tenuto markings, but I think it may be better to just cut off an 8th of these note lengths (like you did in page 1 anyway). You sometimes have these markings on the ends of ties too, but that's not necessary either; articulation markings for piano sheet music should never go on the ends of ties. For the staccato+tenutos on the ends of ties that are 8th notes, you can just remove the articulations without changing the lengths of the notes. This also applies to the R.H. from m37 and on too.
-m25 and 33: In the R.H., the C#'s should be Db's (Bbm chord again), and in the L.H. I hear a G on beat 2 instead of an Ab.
-m28: I hear this in the L.H. on beats 3-4:
-m43: All Bn's in this bar should be Cb's (bVI (or Cbj chord) in the key of Eb major, instead of #V)
-m44: Maybe you could add a courtesy accidental to the Bb at the end: it's not needed theoretically, but it might be helpful, because the song is very much based around chords which might confuse players thinking this is a Bn instead (because of the G major chord).

NineLives

Quote from: Bloop on January 10, 2022, 09:18:22 AM-m25 and on: In the L.H. you sometimes use staccato+tenuto markings, but I think it may be better to just cut off an 8th of these note lengths (like you did in page 1 anyway). You sometimes have these markings on the ends of ties too, but that's not necessary either; articulation markings for piano sheet music should never go on the ends of ties. For the staccato+tenutos on the ends of ties that are 8th notes, you can just remove the articulations without changing the lengths of the notes. This also applies to the R.H. from m37 and on too.
I've reworked some of the tenuto stuff, but I do believe during the sections with the big chords that a few of them deserve the articulation, 'cause they do sound longer than just eighth notes alone and slightly shorter than quarters.
All other changes should all be implemented too.

Bloop

Quote from: NineLives on January 10, 2022, 04:59:07 PMI've reworked some of the tenuto stuff, but I do believe during the sections with the big chords that a few of them deserve the articulation, 'cause they do sound longer than just eighth notes alone and slightly shorter than quarters.
Yeah that sounds good too ^^ Only the one in the R.H. in m39 sounds like it just stops after exactly two 8th notes, so maybe you could write that one as quarter note + 8th rest instead? All others look fine!

The rest looks good too, you only missed this thing:
Quote from: Bloop on January 10, 2022, 09:18:22 AM-m25 and 33: ..and in the L.H. I hear a G on beat 2 instead of an Ab.

NineLives

Bloop

Great! Then I'll approve!

Latios212

Nice sheet! Some details:

- Performance directions don't need to be capitalized all the way through like titles; you can just use "Laid back, yet inspirational".
- m. 1/2/3 RH beat 1: These first chords are missing an Eb above the D.
- m. 2 RH beat 1.5: You could do without the lower harmonies here, since they're not restruck
- m. 1/3 LH beat 4.5: These 16th notes should just be a single 8th note, the bass does not rearticulate there.
- m. 5/9/29 RH: Slurs on staccato phrases are okay, but I don't think slurring over rests makes any sense here - would suggest removing the slurs.
- m. 24: This is crushed a bit for some reason, click it again with the Note Entry Tool (maybe other measures in the system too) and it should respace itself
- m. 29 beat 1.5 LH: I don't hear this G there
- m. 25/29/33 LH: I would recommend writing beats 1, 2, and 3 as regular quarter notes; the way they are written now as eighth+rest makes them look like the syncopated rhythms elsewhere, and the notes aren't particularly shortened there. You could use the staccato/tenuto marking if you want.
- m. 29 RH beat 4: I think it would be better to put a F instead of G underneath the Ab
- m. 36 beat 2 LH: I hear an F instead of a rest here
- m. 42 beat 2.5 RH: Fix the middle tie so it doesn't overlap the note on the right
- m. 44 beat 2 LH: I hear Ab (lower) instead of Db
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

NineLives

Okay, I think I got it. If I missed something or misinterpreted, let me know!