Series: Other
Game: Street Fighter IV
Console: Arcade
Title: Snowy Rail Yard Stage - Russia
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Fantastic Ike

[attachment deleted by admin]

Fantastic Ike

Submitting this for a vaguely Christmas/winter related tie-in. Also wasn't sure whether or not to surround Russia with parentheses or dashes. VGMdb lists it as dashes but I dunno if that's proper NSM format. Anyway here's the OG track:

Static

VGMdb is generally what we go by (with several exceptions), so using dashes is fine. I would go with the official English album (here) and use "Snowy Rail Yard Stage - Russia".

Also, the console for this should be [ARCADE], since it was released only for arcades about a year before being ported to consoles - we can change that for you later, just wanted to point that out.

Fantastic Ike

Static

Sorry for the wait on this one. This song is sick, really cool sheet too. The notes are mostly accurate, so I'm just gonna go over some arrangement ideas and aesthetics.
  • m3: Missing a slur on beats 3-4 (same in m7, 19, etc.).
  • After the first 4 bars, you could add 16th notes to mimic the drums if you want. It's not too hard to play:
  • m9: mezzoforte should be moved left a bit so it lines up with the center of the notes.
  • m35 RH: You can't really do a long glissando like that with so few notes between the Bb and G. Grace notes would convey the idea better.
  • m36-37 RH: There's a missing Bb in both of these chords.
  • m39 (and similar) LH beat 3.75, 4.5: These accented notes should just be Ebs, there's no Ab in the middle. This would also make it a lot easier to play jumping from that low Ab on beat 3.5, though I'd also recommend moving that Ab up an octave or omitting it.
  • m39-45 RH: All of the Cbs should be Bbs.
  • m39-45 LH: I think this section would have a lot more drive if you incorporated some more of the bassline:

Also, I'd maybe recommend including the heavy damage variation in the sheet. It's included in the official OST well I think, though I might be wrong. Then again, Guile's theme from SF2 has it separated both in the OST and on-site, so I guess it's up to you.

Fantastic Ike

Should be all fixed! And also I want to keep with the format onsite, even if there's only two Street Fighter sheets haha. Heavy Damage can be its own sheet.

Static

Yep, looks good to me. Just adjust that grace note slur in m35 so it ends on the whole note.

Fantastic Ike

Done! And you said the updaters are going to change the [MUL] tag to [ARCADE] right?

Latios212

Quote from: Fantastic Ike on January 13, 2022, 10:09:22 AMDone! And you said the updaters are going to change the [MUL] tag to [ARCADE] right?
Changed it :)

This is a really cool piece. Though, is it just me or is there a completely new section of the track at 2:38?
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Fantastic Ike

QuoteThis is a really cool piece. Though, is it just me or is there a completely new section of the track at 2:38?

Thanks! So I'm not 100% certain on this, but I'm pretty sure that this is the "Heavy Damage" variation of the track as mentioned below in the thread. Static and I had discussed this, and I wanted to keep with the other Street Fighter sheet and put the Heavy Damage as its own sheet (well, in theory at least.) Although, if the updaters find it best then I'll add this section to this sheet (dunno if that would apply to the other Street Fighter sheet as well)

Fantastic Ike

Huh, could've sworn I'd had this in before. Thanks for the heads up! I'll change it.

Latios212

Quote from: Fantastic Ike on January 14, 2022, 06:28:50 AMThanks! So I'm not 100% certain on this, but I'm pretty sure that this is the "Heavy Damage" variation of the track as mentioned below in the thread. Static and I had discussed this, and I wanted to keep with the other Street Fighter sheet and put the Heavy Damage as its own sheet (well, in theory at least.) Although, if the updaters find it best then I'll add this section to this sheet (dunno if that would apply to the other Street Fighter sheet as well)
Ah, okay. Yep that's fine, just wanted to make sure that wasn't left out unintentionally~

Anyway this looks good! Here's some feedback before we finish up with this one:
- Out of curiosity, is there any reason you have this in Ab minor (7 flats) instead of G# minor (5 sharps)?
- There's a space missing after the = in the tempo marking
- Measures 24-32 are super spaced out right now at 3 measures per system since they're relatively empty - especially when looking at m. 33 which has 6 measures in one system. I'd recommend adjusting the measure distribution a little bit accordingly - let me know if you want any suggestions.
- Pages 2 and 3 have the top system rather close to the header while there's extra room at the bottom. You can use the Staff Tool and drag the top staff on those pages down to give the header a bit more space by moving the music closer to the bottom of the page.
- I think for the 16th note groups in the right hand of m. 39-45, it would make more sense to have just one slur covering the whole thing.
- The quarter notes in m. 48 beats 3-4 should be Db-Eb (instead of Cb-Db).

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Fantastic Ike

QuoteOut of curiosity, is there any reason you have this in Ab minor (7 flats) instead of G# minor (5 sharps)?

I don't have a definitive answer, just when I was originally arranging this song my mind went to the root as Ab instead of G#. It could also be that the Ab minor "feels" more "Russian" to me instead of the G#? Like I said, don't have particularly strong reasoning. I can always just change the key signature if needed.

All the others should be fixed!

Latios212

Quote from: Fantastic Ike on January 24, 2022, 06:31:04 AMI don't have a definitive answer, just when I was originally arranging this song my mind went to the root as Ab instead of G#. It could also be that the Ab minor "feels" more "Russian" to me instead of the G#? Like I said, don't have particularly strong reasoning. I can always just change the key signature if needed.
I can't say I really understand that reasoning, but it's fine as long as it's still easily readable. There aren't really any extra flats here that would result in awkward double flats so it works. I'll accept!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle