News:

Congratulations!! You, yes, YOU, dear user, have been selected for the "You Read This News Item" award! Click here for your prize!!

Main Menu

[ARCADE] Street Fighter - "Continue" by Fantastic Ike

Started by Zeta, February 28, 2022, 06:13:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Other
Game: Street Fighter
Console: Arcade
Title: Continue
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Fantastic Ike

[attachment deleted by admin]

Fantastic Ike

Just starting a new job so starting off with (at least one) easy and short sheet. Please let me know if I should have any specific markings for the crosshead notes rhythm at m1, or just delete them altogether!

Also believe it or not, the reason I'm submitting a Street Fighter sheet this time is because Street Fighter 6 just got announced. So why not go back to the beginning? Apologies in advance, the original video got deleted and I can't find the track anywhere else. Feel free to let me know if there's a better alternative than this:

https://downloads.khinsider.com/game-soundtracks/album/street-fighter-arcade-1987

UPDATE: Found a video here:

Track can be found at 37:23.

Static

• Maybe put this in D# minor to avoid all the double flats.
  • This is very nitpicky, but Italian classical-style tempo markings I don't really think fit well in jazz/funk/rock/etc.-style sheets, in the same way I wouldn't label an traditional orchestral piece as "funky." Feel free to disagree though, at the end of the day it doesn't really make much of a difference and would be performed identically.
  • The drum fill in m1 sounds like it shouldn't have the 3rd and 4th notes, more like this:
    Nvm the youtube video doesnt have this, but the khinsider link does, so I'll just go with that.
  • The melody is harmonized in all 4ths, not 5ths (except beat 3.5 of m2, that should stay the same), but I'd actually recommend not putting harmony for every single dyad since this is quite demanding to play at this tempo. Instead, I would pick notes that accent the melody, something like this:
  • When the new voice comes in at m4, I'd suggest not using 8va - the extreme high register on piano sounds considerably less full especially when you have to take out the lower layer harmony voices for playability.

Fantastic Ike

QuoteThis is very nitpicky, but Italian classical-style tempo markings I don't really think fit well in jazz/funk/rock/etc.-style sheets, in the same way I wouldn't label an traditional orchestral piece as "funky." Feel free to disagree though, at the end of the day it doesn't really make much of a difference and would be performed identically.

Fair, I just put down those kind of tempo markings when I can't think of any other performance direction.

QuoteThe melody is harmonized in all 4ths, not 5ths (except beat 3.5 of m2, that should stay the same), but I'd actually recommend not putting harmony for every single dyad since this is quite demanding to play at this tempo. Instead, I would pick notes that accent the melody, something like this:

Gotcha, still have a bit of issue figuring out playability since I'm dreadful on piano and don't have easy access to one. And I still get my 4ths and 5ths confused in transcriptions sometimes lol

Everything should be fixed now though.

Static

Quote from: Fantastic Ike on March 18, 2022, 06:28:41 AMFair, I just put down those kind of tempo markings when I can't think of any other performance direction.
Makes sense yeah, really it's just kind of a personal preference so don't feel like you have to always write things in one way or another. As long as the performer can tell what's going on, that's what matters most

Anyway, this looks great, the only couple things I have left to add are:
  • m6 RH: the dot is touching the natural sign
  • m7 RH beat 2.75: I think this note is an A# (above the staff).
  • m7 LH beat 3.75: Since the other layer is hidden, you can flip the staccato up.
  • If you want, you can move the right margin of the last system over so it doesn't fill up the entire page width (Page Layout Tool > right click on top right handle of system > Edit Margins > edit value for right margin)

Fantastic Ike

Quotem6 RH: the dot is touching the natural sign
m7 RH beat 2.75: I think this note is an A# (above the staff).
m7 LH beat 3.75: Since the other layer is hidden, you can flip the staccato up.

Done!

QuoteIf you want, you can move the right margin of the last system over so it doesn't fill up the entire page width (Page Layout Tool > right click on top right handle of system > Edit Margins > edit value for right margin)

Honestly I'm not a fan for the way this looks. I prefer the slightly stretched out system look if that's okay.

Static

Quote from: Fantastic Ike on March 19, 2022, 06:58:02 AMHonestly I'm not a fan for the way this looks. I prefer the slightly stretched out system look if that's okay.
Fair enough, definitely not a required change but I figured I'd suggest it if you wanted even measure lengths. It looks fine as is though for sure.

I'll approve

Fantastic Ike

Bloop

This is the only notation thing I could find:
-m7: The F# in the L.H. on beat 2.75 should be an E#

Aside from that, technically all Dn's in the L.H. on beat 4.5 of m1, 2, 4 and 6 should be Cx's, and the An-Dn dyad in the R.H. on beat 4 of m5 should be Gx-Cx, since these chromatically approach the next note. The naturals work too though, so just choose whatever you prefer ^^ (it's probably not as much double sharps than there were double flats originally)

Also, maybe you could use the Page Layout Tool to shorten the last bar a bit, so it's not as stretched out?

Fantastic Ike

Bloop

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Bloop.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot