News:

Need help with Finale? Have a question about arranging? NSM Resources is the place to go!

Main Menu

[N64] Yoshi's Story - "Duel with the Boss" (Replacement) by Bloop

Started by Zeta, December 31, 2021, 05:33:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Super Mario
Game: Yoshi's Story
Console: Nintendo 64
Title: Duel with the Boss
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Bloop

Replacement Information:

Links to Existing Sheet: MUS | MIDI | PDF
Replacement Type: Challenge (new arranger)

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]

Bloop

Another much needed replacement!

I changed the title from 'Boss Fight' to 'Duel with the Boss', which is the title used in this album. The other two soundtrack albums on vgmdb don't list this theme.

Zeila

This looks good c: . Not much to say aside from a few optional things

- Personally I think the timpani part that goes C# -> G# sounds more prominent than F# -> C#, but if you feel the opposite then that's okay
- Maybe you could tremolo between some of the octaves whenever there's a mallet roll (e.g. start of measure 15/17 and beat 2 of measure 18)
- It might look more uniform if you used 4/4 instead of Common time since you switch to 5/4, but this isn't a big deal

Bloop

Quote from: Zeila on January 18, 2022, 06:06:39 PM- Personally I think the timpani part that goes C# -> G# sounds more prominent than F# -> C#, but if you feel the opposite then that's okay
I don't really hear anything going C#-G#, are you sure that's not just some overtone stuff coming from the timpani? Either way, I think F#-C# works better tonally too.

Quote from: Zeila on January 18, 2022, 06:06:39 PM- Maybe you could tremolo between some of the octaves whenever there's a mallet roll (e.g. start of measure 15/17 and beat 2 of measure 18)
Good idea! I used it for the places you mentioned: I didn't use it in the beginning, because I didn't like using the octaves.

Quote from: Zeila on January 18, 2022, 06:06:39 PM- It might look more uniform if you used 4/4 instead of Common time since you switch to 5/4, but this isn't a big deal
Yeah good point, I should be aware of that more :p

Files updated!

Libera

I feel like this soundtrack is trying to give off the impression of young children in music class at school and I guess it succeeds but it doesn't make me enjoy listening to it.  The sheet looks good though.

Quote from: Bloop on January 19, 2022, 05:45:09 AMGood idea! I used it for the places you mentioned: I didn't use it in the beginning, because I didn't like using the octaves.

I was actually going to suggest doing this.  I think it'd sound pretty good and help to differentiate the ends of these phrases, but I guess it's up to you.  The lower octave is still pretty high and so it doesn't make the sound too heavy.

Other things:

-The tie at the start of bar 24 is colliding with the sharp sign.
-I guess technically the Bb in bar 23 should be an A# like the other ones, but maybe the notation looks too horrible.  I'm not even sure how to present that myself.  If they were in the same voice you would do a split stem but here...
-I think the stemming and the layering (and the rests, although I'll say something separately about that in the next point) get a little confusing in bars 21-24.  I feel like morally I would be more comfortable if the 'offbeat' stabs were always in the same layer, and I don't think you actually gain much notational clarity by swapping them around.  I think especially in bar 24 where the layer swaps halfway through the bar is unnecessarily confusing. 
-With regards to the rests, I think some additional consistency could be achieved, and maybe some clarity as well.  In bar 21 all of these layer 1 rests can be placed in the usual position and it might help when reading that bar.  In bar 23, the second layer 2 rest is slightly lower than the others (although it matches the swapped layer 1 rest heights in the second half of bar 24).  You could also combine the rests in bar 23 on beat 3.

The notes look good, and I agree on the F# -> C# pattern in the left hand.

Bloop

Quote from: Libera on January 21, 2022, 12:21:50 PMI feel like this soundtrack is trying to give off the impression of young children in music class at school and I guess it succeeds but it doesn't make me enjoy listening to it.  The sheet looks good though.
Yeah some tracks are like this, I kinda like the goofiness tbh. Other tracks are surprisingly jazzy or well written though.

Quote from: Libera on January 21, 2022, 12:21:50 PMI was actually going to suggest doing this.  I think it'd sound pretty good and help to differentiate the ends of these phrases, but I guess it's up to you.  The lower octave is still pretty high and so it doesn't make the sound too heavy.
I tried it out with the higher octave, and I do like how that sounds, so I did it with that ^^ I feel taking the octave below goes a bit too much into the stronger register of the piano.

About m21-24, I rewrote it a bit so everything is in the same layer and all rests are at the same height, I think this seems to work pretty nicely (i've never done this much note/dote/tie moving in such a small section). On m23 beat 3 I still left the 8th rests in separate layers, as combining them in only one layer seems empty, and moving both to the standard position seems a bit distracting. I also left m23 beat 3.5 as a Bb instead of an A#: the An and A# would have to be next to each other with the accidental before each notehead, but that just takes too much horizontal space.

Files are updated, thanks for checking!

Libera

Quote from: Bloop on January 22, 2022, 10:28:25 AMI tried it out with the higher octave, and I do like how that sounds, so I did it with that ^^ I feel taking the octave below goes a bit too much into the stronger register of the piano.

This sounds good too.

I think 19-24 looks a lot cleaner now and easy to follow.  Nice.

I'll approve.

Latios212

Quote from: Libera on January 21, 2022, 12:21:50 PMI feel like this soundtrack is trying to give off the impression of young children in music class at school and I guess it succeeds but it doesn't make me enjoy listening to it.  The sheet looks good though.
Yep... I'm on the same page (pun intended) here :P

Overall this looks good - although m. 21-24 are certainly strange at a glance, particularly the B above the An and A# in m. 23. But... given that the A/A# is the split third (I think?) and the Bb forms a minor second with the An... I don't see a really nice way of writing it (or a better place to put the note). I think it works.

I think the main thing that got my attention was the one beat insertion in m. 10. I think that would be better written as a 1/4 bar to really signify it's an interjection, as it's not really an extension of either the previous or next phrase.

Also perhaps consider bumping a few measures to the next system (maybe starting with m. 7) to make the second system on page 2 three measures?
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Bloop

Done! I think having the interjection as a 1/4 bar has crossed my mind sometime ago, but I didn't do much with it apparently.

Latios212

My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Latios212.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot