News:

Local man invests life savings into turnips. When asked whether it was a wise decision he responded, "Eh. I'm sure someone will buy them."

Main Menu

[NDS] The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks - "Tower of Spirits Staircase" by TwinAdam

Started by Zeta, March 18, 2022, 08:19:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: The Legend of Zelda
Game: The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks
Console: Nintendo DS
Title: Tower of Spirits Staircase
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: TwinAdam

[attachment deleted by admin]

TwinAdam

Here's a sheet I've been sitting on for a while. Let me know if you see anything that needs some attention (I could use another set of eyes on m. 49-64). Thanks!

Static

Hey, welcome to NinSheetMusic! You got the formatting down and you seem to know what you're doing with piano arranging, so I'll get right into the details:
  • Pickup measure: In x/4 time signatures, generally dotted quarter (and dotted half) rests are not used, so I'd recommend splitting this into an 8th+quarter rest.
  • You have repeats on all the sections, but the recording you linked doesn't have them. I haven't played the game, so I'm assuming these are variations that play as you climb the tower and can loop independently? If so, the repeats are fine.
  • Instead of "Repeat forever", maybe "Repeat indefinitely" or "Repeat and fade out" would look/sound better? Up to you, you can just leave it if you want.
  • The notes/chords you have in m49-64 are all correct, but I think it would be clearer to read if you kept the moving layer completely independent from the chord layer. Right now, each layer ties across into others. Here's how I might write that out:
    m49-56

- In general, I think this looks cleaner with the moving line on the righthand side of the chords, so the dots don't have to get so close to anything.
    - You can flip ties by selecting a note and pressing Ctrl+F, and adjust tie, dot, and note placement using the Tie, Dot, and Note Position Tools (all under Special Tools).
    - Editing different layers together may cause them to shift over too much (look at m59-60, where the LH beat 1 is not aligned vertically with the RH). The easiest way to fix this is just by deleting and re-entering the notes.
    - Use this approach to finish up m57-64
    [close]
  • Most of your systems have 6-7 measures, which is a good fit, but the last one only has 3. You can adjust the measure distribution by highlighting any group of measures, clicking Utilities at the top, and selecting Fit Measures. I think, for the last four systems, a distribution of 6-5-6-6 looks pretty good, but adjust it as you see fit.
    m42-64
    [close]
That's all I got for you, nice work.

TwinAdam

Great, thanks for the feedback! I've made the changes you've noted.

• The variations do repeat as you climb the tower in the game, so I left the repeats in for each section. I also changed the text to "repeat indefinitely"
  • I've adjusted m. 49-64 so the moving note is in one layer and the chords are in another. I hope it looks right with the ties and adjusting - let me know if it needs some more work.

Separating the moving layer and the chord layer means you repeat the C in the LH in m. 53 and the D in the LH in m. 60 - I think they technically tie in from the previous measure in the recording. I don't mind repeating those notes, but if that's something that needs to be changed, let me know.

Thanks!

Static

Looks great!
Quote from: TwinAdam on March 21, 2022, 11:29:33 AMSeparating the moving layer and the chord layer means you repeat the C in the LH in m. 53 and the D in the LH in m. 60 - I think they technically tie in from the previous measure in the recording. I don't mind repeating those notes, but if that's something that needs to be changed, let me know.
I forgot to mention this in my first post, but if you don't mind, I think this ends up working better anyway, since the C and D are part of the chords there (in the string voices). Since notes on the piano generally don't sustain as well as on wind/string instruments, I think rearticulating them helps the chords there sound more full. Just my thought there, at least, if you disagree though feel free to edit it.

The last two points I have would be to move the dot in m56 LH to the right just a bit (next to the C), and flip the bottom tie up in m61 LH, since the following measure contains an added layer (similar to m63-64).

These are tiny adjustments though, so I'll approve pending those changes.

TwinAdam

Awesome! I don't mind rearticulating those notes in the chords.

I've updated with the changes. Thanks for your help!

Static

Bloop

Looking pretty good, I don't think I have much to add! The only thing you could think about is maybe writing the 8th note runs in the R.H. under one beam per bar, like this:
You cannot view this attachment.
It makes the sheet look a little less busy, and indicates more of a slower "one.. one.. one.." beat than a quick "one-two-three one-two-three" beat (if that makes sense :p). Just compare and see what you like more!

TwinAdam

I don't really have a preference about how the 8th notes are beamed, so I went ahead and changed it to the beaming you suggested. I'm all for anything that helps readability.

Thanks!

Bloop

Zeta