Submission Information:

Series: Xeno
Game: Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Console: Nintendo Switch
Title: One Last You (Piano Arrange)
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: JZ

XiaoMigros

Beautiful track, turned into a beautiful sheet! Here's some points I found you could improve on:

• I think some of the notes written, especially near the beginning, might just be overtones, though it's hard to hear. I also think there are some instances where you may have missed some harmonies in the RH, though I'll leave an updater to sort that out (sorry updaters)
  • One of the main aspects I feel would improve this sheet is articulation and dynamics. Articulation in particular would contribute towards a sense of direction, so it might be worth adding accents in certain places.
  • You have a lot of space at the bottom of each page. You could probably have 5 systems on each page instead of 4, but this is something best decided once the other changes have been made.

Latios212

Whoo nice to see this at last :D (I've actually been playing this sheet a lot since you've posted it, I suppose it's time to actually check it...)

Quote from: XiaoMigros on March 31, 2022, 12:01:18 PMI think some of the notes written, especially near the beginning, might just be overtones, though it's hard to hear. I also think there are some instances where you may have missed some harmonies in the RH, though I'll leave an updater to sort that out (sorry updaters)
Yeah I think so too - most notably the dyads in the left hand on beat 1 of m. 1 and 3 - don't think the upper notes should be there. Would need to look a bit closer at others but feel free to have a skim first.

Quote from: XiaoMigros on March 31, 2022, 12:01:18 PMOne of the main aspects I feel would improve this sheet is articulation and dynamics. Articulation in particular would contribute towards a sense of direction, so it might be worth adding accents in certain places.
Mhmm - a slight aside, but one thing I've been thinking about regarding this sheet is how almost everywhere the right hand is condensed into one layer. It looks fine but makes it a bit difficult to tell where the melody and countermelodies are at times. That said, the way this piece is arranged, there isn't a super obvious differentiation between what's the melody and what's just accompaniment. The verse in m. 18+ works best in one layer I think, although maybe some accents might help highlight the melody. Some other places though like m. 34-35 would almost certainly be better off as two layers. Give it some thought and play around with it and let me know what you think :P

Quote from: XiaoMigros on March 31, 2022, 12:01:18 PMYou have a lot of space at the bottom of each page. You could probably have 5 systems on each page instead of 4, but this is something best decided once the other changes have been made.
Yes for sure. This is a trivial change to do now, don't need to wait. There are also some rather spread out systems on the first few pages so I feel like we can tweak the measure distribution a bit too. I can make suggestions or help edit the files if you want. This can definitely fit on 7 pages or less.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Libera

I'd like to say that I'm not entirely comfortable with this going onto the site.  This piano arrangement was potentially commissioned (?) and never appears anywhere in-game.  It feels a bit like putting up sheet music for one of the Final Fantasy piano albums, which hopefully we can all agree is a bad idea.  I know that it is present on some of the OSTs, but I'm guessing that its absence of the main digital release is a licensing issue.  I've definitely seen this a lot before where digital releases have tracks omitted due to the license not being entirely held by the license of the publisher, which suggests that potentially the arranger has withheld some of the rights, or maybe it's held with a different company.  I feel like from a legal (moral?) perspective, we should be putting up our own arrangement of One Last You, rather than the sheet music for someone else's arrangement.

Maybe other people feel differently about this, but those are my thoughts on the situation.

XiaoMigros

To my knowledge, the "Piano Arrange" tracks from XC2 are made by a separate musician (Ivan Linn), however they are included in the soundtrack's release, as you mentioned. I'm not going to take a legal stance on this, all I have to say is that creating sheet music is already in a legal gray area, whether the site hosts 'external' sheets or not. Morally, I think this track is a piece of VGM, included in a game's soundtrack, so I'd say go for it. If I remember correctly there are already other arrangements on site that can't be heard in-game (example). There are also other Xenoblade arrangements up that are basically transcriptions of OST piano arrangements (Zeila's 3 Xenoblade X sheets for instance), but I think those might actually appear in game.

Personally I'm leaning towards letting the sheet onto the site, though I can understand why one might think differently.

MomoQca

Libera—your thoughts are completely valid. Thank you for voicing your concern. Though XiaoMigros brings up a good point. To be completely honest, I'm unsure what to do in this scenario. I'm going to leave it up to the community to decide what's best.