News:

We seem to have trapped one of the mods within the forum's code... and we're not sure how to get him out. Oh well, he'll figure it out!

Main Menu

[NES] Little Nemo: The Dream Master - "Dream 1 - Mushroom Forest" by Yug Guy

Started by Zeta, April 06, 2022, 06:05:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Other
Game: Little Nemo: The Dream Master
Console: Nintendo Entertainment System
Title: Dream 1 - Mushroom Forest
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Yug Guy

[attachment deleted by admin]

Yug_Guy

I was thinking to myself, "Man, I have a perfectly good transcription that I could easily turn into a piano arrangement"

...so I did.

XiaoMigros

• I remember checking the notes when I watched the video, provided they're the same as in the sheet they should be good. I'll check over it just to be sure once I can find my headphones.
  • While some of your courtesy accidentals are useful, they are inconsistently placed and some seem excessive. Can you go over those?
  • m. 20: Using a double-dotted half note here is unconventional, generally one would write it as an 8th tied to a single-dotted half note (or: a dotted 4th note tied to a half note)
  • The "Piano" instrument label should only be visible in the first system
  • And lastly, your footer: If the two different years you put are for varying Famicom/NES release dates, I'd choose the earlier one. Also, your URL is missing an s in https.

Yug_Guy

Quote from: XiaoMigros on April 06, 2022, 10:57:42 PM
  • I remember checking the notes when I watched the video, provided they're the same as in the sheet they should be good. I'll check over it just to be sure once I can find my headphones
I sure hope they're the same, otherwise I have a lot of questions I need to ask myself...

• While some of your courtesy accidentals are useful, they are inconsistently placed and some seem excessive. Can you go over those?
With all the mode mixture in this piece (I-II-bII-I, etc.), I figured it'd be better if I went a bit over than under.

• m. 20: Using a double-dotted half note here is unconventional, generally one would write it as an 8th tied to a single-dotted half note (or: a dotted 4th note tied to a half note)
Personally, I like using it. Using ties can make things seems cluttered.

• The "Piano" instrument label should only be visible in the first system. Also, your URL is missing an s in https.
Fixed. (I just used Finale's defaults, and just changed stuff since that's what I effectively do for all my transcriptions.

...it's been a while, don't judge me)

• And lastly, your footer: If the two different years you put are for varying Famicom/NES release dates, I'd choose the earlier one.
I don't remember there having to be only one copyright date? I usually just put all years a given game released for a system. (in this case, Japan & the US in 1990 and Europe in 1991)

XiaoMigros

Quote from: Yug_Guy on April 09, 2022, 01:32:09 PMI sure hope they're the same, otherwise I have a lot of questions I need to ask myself...
I checked now, you're good. One small thing to consider would be adding staccato markings to the 4th notes in ms 10 and 12? However, the track seems to play with volume changes a lot rather than releasing notes, so I think keeping them as you have it would work too.

Quote from: Yug_Guy on April 09, 2022, 01:32:09 PMWith all the mode mixture in this piece (I-II-bII-I, etc.), I figured it'd be better if I went a bit over than under.
Looking at them again now they seem acceptable, I think I saw a couple errors when I first reviewed the seet but I cant find them anymore now ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote from: Yug_Guy on April 09, 2022, 01:32:09 PMPersonally, I like using it. Using ties can make things seems cluttered.
Using ties helps expose the beats and make rhythmic figures more readable. According to this guide you should use ties, since your figure uses 16ths.
Side note: I've only really encountered double dots in centuries-old classical music, and on musescore sheets made by middle schoolers. As far as I can tell, there isn't really a good reason to use them nowadays.

Quote from: Yug_Guy on April 09, 2022, 01:32:09 PMFixed. (I just used Finale's defaults, and just changed stuff since that's what I effectively do for all my transcriptions.
You're good haha, it seemed like something that resulted from using a dated template but it's something that had to be said ;)

Quote from: Yug_Guy on April 09, 2022, 01:32:09 PMI don't remember there having to be only one copyright date? I usually just put all years a given game released for a system. (in this case, Japan & the US in 1990 and Europe in 1991)
I've only ever seen one year used, except for Undertale, now that I think about it. So I guess this would be acceptable? I'm not sure how consistent it would be with the rest of the NES section, so I'll say leave it and wait for an updater's input.

Maelstrom

I've used multiple dates for games that were re-released with identical OSTs (e.g. Wii vs 3DS xenoblade), but it's not something required. Not something we'll discourage either.

edit: that's a bad example because I don't think I've ever done that lol

Latios212

Quote from: XiaoMigros on April 06, 2022, 10:57:42 PMWhile some of your courtesy accidentals are useful, they are inconsistently placed and some seem excessive. Can you go over those?
Quote from: Yug_Guy on April 09, 2022, 01:32:09 PMWith all the mode mixture in this piece (I-II-bII-I, etc.), I figured it'd be better if I went a bit over than under.
Quote from: XiaoMigros on April 09, 2022, 02:02:49 PMLooking at them again now they seem acceptable, I think I saw a couple errors when I first reviewed the seet but I cant find them anymore now ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I think the one on the Ab's in m. 3/7/15/19 are good, as well as the Ab in m. 12. The courtesy Bb in m. 10 seems unnecessary to me though since the Bb is in a place different from the Bn in m. 9, and you also have Bb's in the left hand preceding the strike on beat 3.75.

Other than that, the footer text is outside the page margins (see here). Everything else looks good!
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Yug_Guy

Latios212

My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Bloop

I don't have much to say, just one minor thing I wanted to ask:
In m14 and m18 you wrote the F in the second voice in the R.H. to play along with the first voice rhythm, but in your transcription (and the original in general) it's just a held note until the A. Is there a particular reason you chose to not write it as such in a different layer?

Everything else looks good though ^^

Yug_Guy

Quote from: Bloop on April 21, 2022, 12:30:40 AMIn m14 and m18 you wrote the F in the second voice in the R.H. to play along with the first voice rhythm, but in your transcription (and the original in general) it's just a held note until the A. Is there a particular reason you chose to not write it as such in a different layer?
I just figured it'd be easier to play. If you don't think there would be much of a difference if I used the held note, I can always change it.

Bloop

Yeah I think it's not much more difficult to use the held note, so it comes down to whatever your prefer ^^

Yug_Guy

I've gone ahead and changed it back to being a held note - I figure if it doesn't ultimately matter, then I'll strive for accuracy to the original piece.

Bloop

Zeta