Fantastic Ike's Space Travel Project Sheets

Started by Fantastic Ike, April 24, 2022, 07:21:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fantastic Ike

I do not care for Destiny's story. I do not care for Destiny's gameplay. I especially do not care for Destiny's incessant loot grind. But sweet space Jesus is this soundtrack incredible. In particular I love this song so much that I was ready to submit it for next month even before I found out about this project. The whole series is set in space so I don't think we should have a problem with theming but if I need to replace it with something more appropriate please let me know.

Destiny 2 [MUL]

Guardian's SacrificeMUSMIDIPDFOriginal

A Star Wars sheet is in the works as well. Will update if/when I finish on time.

Fantastic Ike

And here's my Star Wars sheet

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic [MUL]

The Unknown WorldMUSMIDIPDFOriginal

Bloop

The Unknown World
-m4: The tie of the Eb on beat 3 should be flipped
-m8: The G# in the L.H. on beat 3 should be an Ab (like in the R.H.)
-m15-17: I'd unhide the half rests in the L.H. in these bars: it's derivable where the second layer falls, but it's a bit less clear than just having the half rest before to help out.
-m15-16: In these two bars, the upper voice can't be held while playing the lower voice, unless the player uses a pedal. I'm not sure if you intended the player to use a pedal though, so I'd either move the second layer up an octave, change the first layer to a half note, or add pedal markings to these bars (and maybe others before and after these few bars, so there's some continuity in this section)
-m22-23: I hear the lower voice doubled an octave below too. I'd suggest moving the upper voice to the R.H. and have the L.H. play those octaves.

Fantastic Ike

Bloop

Fantastic Ike

Static

The Unknown World
  • m16 LH beat 3: This should be a G instead of C
  • m17 LH beat 1 Layer 1: This should be F instead of D
  • m18 LH beat 1: There should be a D whole note (middle of staff) in an upper layer, like the F in m17.
I think that's it. Nice arrangement

Fantastic Ike

Static

Fantastic Ike

Latios212

Guardian's Sacrifice

This looks good overall! And not often we get a piece that's just brass :P

- This piece is in Eb minor (6 flats). Changing that should clear all the accidentals from the sheet (including the Bn's in m. 8 which should be spelled Cb)
- Some of the things between systems, particularly between the second and third, are very close together. You have some extra white space above the footer, so use the Staff Tool to space them out a bit more.
- I think the Gb you wrote in the left hand on beat 1.5 of m. 3 is just sustained from the one on beat 1, and doesn't need to be restruck. I would suggest indicating pedal usage for this piece instead (just something like "con pedale" should be fine).
- Typically, dotted quarter rests (m. 7) are just written as quarter + eighth when in 4/4
- I feel like the texture isn't quite right in m. 7-8, and I'm having a hard time following the movement of the melody. It feels like there's too many notes in the right hand chords. Would you mind taking another look at that section? Also similarly, the RH chord in m. 10 sounds like it should have Db, instead of F, on top.
- I'd suggest removing the half notes in m. 11, since the original doesn't sustain those notes until the next phrase.
- I would recommend writing the LH of m. 13 in one layer; the Bb whole note shouldn't carry through the chord change on beat 3 (to Db where it doesn't fit). Same for m. 15-16.
- m. 16 needs to be respaced (just click on it with the note entry tool) since the clef is too close to the last note
- I think m. 19-20 sound like Db and Ebm chords respectively and would suggest writing the left hand with the root note on bottom.

Also, the pickup measure should be written as a pickup measure in Finale instead of a relabeled 1/4 measure. Change the timesig to 4/4, then go to Document > Pickup Measure. Make sure to do this at the end of the rest of the above edits though, otherwise the measure numbers will be off.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Fantastic Ike

I think that should be it. Although the last note might be a bit difficult to figure out how to voice. I don't think what I have is really playable, but updated anyway to see feedback.

Latios212

Guardian's Sacrifice

Quote from: Fantastic Ike on May 16, 2022, 10:44:29 AMI think that should be it. Although the last note might be a bit difficult to figure out how to voice. I don't think what I have is really playable, but updated anyway to see feedback.
Ah yeah whoops, I think I meant a Eb-Bb-Eb power chord but I forgot about the Bb continuation of the previous voice. You can either do this, or just omit the Eb on bottom. I don't think the Gb is necessary in the chord.
You cannot view this attachment.

Quote from: Latios212 on May 15, 2022, 12:00:42 PM- I feel like the texture isn't quite right in m. 7-8, and I'm having a hard time following the movement of the melody. It feels like there's too many notes in the right hand chords. Would you mind taking another look at that section? Also similarly, the RH chord in m. 10 sounds like it should have Db, instead of F, on top.
I still feel like this isn't quite right; the moving melody is hard to follow between the lower chords and the upper harmonies, of which I think there are too many. How about something like this which keeps the melody on top while making sure all the harmonies are still there:
You cannot view this attachment.

Quote from: Latios212 on May 15, 2022, 12:00:42 PMAlso, the pickup measure should be written as a pickup measure in Finale instead of a relabeled 1/4 measure. Change the timesig to 4/4, then go to Document > Pickup Measure. Make sure to do this at the end of the rest of the above edits though, otherwise the measure numbers will be off.
Don't forget this!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Fantastic Ike

Okay, think it's all fixed. Updated on Dropbox

Latios212

Spoiler
[close]
turtle