Series: Other
Game: Terranigma
Console: Super Nintendo Entertainment System
Title: Town
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Static

Replacement Information:

Links to Existing Sheet: MUS | MIDI | PDF
Replacement Type: Challenge (new arranger)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Static

Another replacement initiative sheet...
Title should be "Town", composer/title info here as usual.

Kricketune54

Grand Piano
Grand Piano

-m20 RH beat 1 sounds a bit longer than staccato, though I understand it also sort of mirrors m60 (and to be consistent with the LH)

One thing I am wondering about is m21 to m36 - I feel almost like the wrong part is being emphasized given the more melodious part is put into the LH for the most part in order to accommodate those higher runs (which are pulled down an octave in this arrangement). It seems like a tough balance to make this one work at least for that section

Static

Quote from: Kricketune54 on June 08, 2022, 01:09:00 PMm20 RH beat 1 sounds a bit longer than staccato, though I understand it also sort of mirrors m60 (and to be consistent with the LH)
Still sounds more staccato-ish to me, more specifically it sounds the same length as the other bass notes in that section, so yeah it's for consistency.

Quote from: Kricketune54 on June 08, 2022, 01:09:00 PMOne thing I am wondering about is m21 to m36 - I feel almost like the wrong part is being emphasized given the more melodious part is put into the LH for the most part in order to accommodate those higher runs (which are pulled down an octave in this arrangement). It seems like a tough balance to make this one work at least for that section
I didn't want to have multiple 8th note lines in one hand since it can get kind of unwieldy to play, so I moved around parts to accommodate that. In the original track, the melody is not the highest voice in that section, so it still works out for the most part, at least I think so. I could remove the top voice and put the melody in the RH, but I don't think it flows as well.
I'm actually a bit more stumped on m37-44, still trying to figure out a good way to balance that out since some chords (e.g. m42) don't speak as well as I'd like. Maybe something like this:
Spoiler

[close]

Latios212

I think your way of arranging it works pretty well overall. I agree with what Static mentioned about m. 20-32 about there being lines above the melody anyway, and pulling it apart like this allows the arrangement to lay everything out without too much difficulty.

For m. 37-44, I prefer what you already have in the sheet vs. your screenshot above. In measure 37-40 you keep that overlapping call-and-response between the two lines without ever confusing them or omitting part of them, and the left hand part is pretty easy to play. In your screenshot above, the melody in m. 41 gets obscured in m. 42-43, and it's much more apparent where the layers are differentiated when they're far apart.

In regards to how some of the chords sound ("vertically"), I think 42 sounds fine personally. The one place that does bother me is m. 24/32, the Ab/G/D/F sounds rather dissonant, and probably part of that is because the Ab on bottom is sustained as the harmony changes but is restruck at each measure here. Maybe it doesn't sound as weird when played at full speed, though.

Unrelated, m. 31 sounds rather empty compared to the more colorful chords around it, with only the root and fifth. Might be worth making a small adjustment to fill that out even if the original just plays those notes?

That's all I had really, I looked it over and everything seems fine accuracy and presentation wise :)
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Static

Quote from: Latios212 on June 18, 2022, 01:25:24 PMIn regards to how some of the chords sound ("vertically"), I think 42 sounds fine personally. The one place that does bother me is m. 24/32, the Ab/G/D/F sounds rather dissonant, and probably part of that is because the Ab on bottom is sustained as the harmony changes but is restruck at each measure here. Maybe it doesn't sound as weird when played at full speed, though.
The Ab is restruck in the original too, an octave lower though. I like the slight dissonance there so I'd rather keep it.

Quote from: Latios212 on June 18, 2022, 01:25:24 PMUnrelated, m. 31 sounds rather empty compared to the more colorful chords around it, with only the root and fifth. Might be worth making a small adjustment to fill that out even if the original just plays those notes?
I actually ended up changing m30-34 to match 22-26, since a lot of those chords don't sound as full as I'd like. In the original track, the voices do change there, but I think this works out better for my arrangement, and it also helps the upper RH layer stay out of the way (no restruck notes anymore).

New files are up

Latios212

Cool, that all sounds good and I agree with the choice to make the harmonies consistent in 30-34. I will approve~
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Libera

I think the only comment I really had to make was about the harmonies in 30-34 but since you already discussed those and Latios was fine with them, I think it's probably ok.

I guess some of the dynamics could be centred a little cleaner, like in bar 21 and 41, but it's nothing major.

Static

Quote from: Libera on July 10, 2022, 01:37:27 PMI guess some of the dynamics could be centred a little cleaner, like in bar 21 and 41, but it's nothing major.
Fixed

Libera

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Libera.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot