Game: Animal Crossing: New Horizons
Console: Nintendo Switch
Title: Tournament (Joining)
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Kricketune54

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]

Kricketune54

Had Sports been the project theme, I would've definitely put this in, but I think it's also a good song for the current time of year  :)

I've made a lot of small changes from my original go at this one, but I wanted to note the tuba in the original song is moved around a bit octave-wise throughout my arrangement, in order to accommodate some chords and just so the LH isn't leaping from the depths to well within the lower staff.

Static

Good stuff, just some small details to sort through:
  • m1/5/9 RH beat 1: Missing Ab and D underneath the F
  • m7 LH beat 1: This note is played long, not short
  • m11 RH beat 1: I don't hear a grace note here
  • m12 RH beat 3: I hear a grace note here (G)
  • m18 RH beat 3: The guitar plays a D here
  • m20 RH beat 1: I don't think there's a C# here, I hear just the Bb-D dyad. It sounds rolled/arpeggiated though. Also, beats 1-2 should be beamed across (grace notes in Finale like to break beams for some reason) and flipped downward since there's no lower layer.
  • m23 LH beat 3.5: Eb should be tied to m24
  • m24 RH beat 1: Missing grace note (Eb)
  • m26 RH beat 4: I'm not hearing the high Eb in the original
  • m28: When you have parallel chords like this, keep the accidentals parallel too - the Db on beat 2 should be C# (A7 chord)
  • m29/33 RH: Layer 2 tie should be flipped up
  • m32: Same as m28, beat 2 RH should be B#-D#-G# (G#7 chord)
  • m33 RH: The guitar plays a C# here, it almost sounds like a triplet rhythm or something. It isn't the same as m29.
  • m36: Consider adding in the missing 3rds of these chords, it doesn't have to be in the original octave, but it'll make it sound more full:
  • obligatory statement about how I like slurs on grace notes, but it's optional so you don't have to

Kricketune54

• m1/5/9 RH beat 1: Missing Ab and D underneath the F
    • m7 LH beat 1: This note is played long, not short
    • m11 RH beat 1: I don't hear a grace note here
    • m12 RH beat 3: I hear a grace note here (G)
    Fixed
    • m18 RH beat 3: The guitar plays a D here
    I think you meant beat 2.5, and I still hear as an F

• m20 RH beat 1: I don't think there's a C# here, I hear just the Bb-D dyad. It sounds rolled/arpeggiated though. Also, beats 1-2 should be beamed across (grace notes in Finale like to break beams for some reason) and flipped downward since there's no lower layer.
    I think I was hearing that roll as a grace note. I added the roll and fixed the beaming

• m23 LH beat 3.5: Eb should be tied to m24
    Fixed this
    • m24 RH beat 1: Missing grace note (Eb)
    I think this sounds more like m20 as in it's rolled rather than an Eb gracenote

• m26 RH beat 4: I'm not hearing the high Eb in the original
    It's there, it's the trumpet's note after it plays F on beat 3 (trumpet G) and is really almost muted

• m28: When you have parallel chords like this, keep the accidentals parallel too - the Db on beat 2 should be C# (A7 chord)
    • m32: Same as m28, beat 2 RH should be B#-D#-G# (G#7 chord)
    Oh I did not recognize this! Was just doing the ole descending/ascending accidentals lol

• m29/33 RH: Layer 2 tie should be flipped up
    Fixed

• m33 RH: The guitar plays a C# here, it almost sounds like a triplet rhythm or something. It isn't the same as m29.
    I went with a triplet here, but I hear it as C# then holding on D

• m36: Consider adding in the missing 3rds of these chords, it doesn't have to be in the original octave, but it'll make it sound more full:
    My initial reason for exclusion was I wasn't sure if the hand could actually do that spread for beats 2-3, but I've added them.
    • obligatory statement about how I like slurs on grace notes, but it's optional so you don't have to
    Sorry I always mean to do this and I think I just forgot with this one, added those slurs

Thanks for checking! Files updated

Static

Quote from: Kricketune54 on May 11, 2022, 08:53:35 AMFixed I think you meant beat 2.5, and I still hear as an F
    No, I hear an additional note on beat 3. But it's faint so maybe it's better not to include it.

Quote from: Kricketune54 on May 11, 2022, 08:53:35 AMIt's there, it's the trumpet's note after it plays F on beat 3 (trumpet G) and is really almost muted
    I'm still not hearing it there in the original track. It sounds right in the sheet though... Maybe we can get some other opinions on that.

The grace note in m14 is missing a slur still, but otherwise this looks great! I'll approve

Kricketune54

Bloop

-I actually don't think I hear the Ab's in m1, 5 and 9 that Static mentioned, it sounds just like a straight Bb major chord to me.
    -m19 and 23: These chords should fall on beats 2 and 4, not on 1.5 and 3.5
    -m22: I hear another F in the R.H. on beat 2
    -m24: All 8th note beams and stems here in the R.H. should be flipped downwards
    -m26: I do think I hear the Eb in beat 4, but I feel like that might be an overtone from the Ab? But I'll admit it doesn't clash as hard as I expected it to.
    -m27: The quarter rest on beat 3 should be one tick lower
    -m29: I hear a Bb on beat 2 in the R.H. sliding to a Bn, kinda like in m32
    -m34: I hear an Ab in the R.H. too on beat 4, tied to the next bar.

Kricketune54

Quote from: Bloop on June 03, 2022, 10:05:30 AM-I actually don't think I hear the Ab's in m1, 5 and 9 that Static mentioned, it sounds just like a straight Bb major chord to me.
    Yeah I was honestly not hearing it either but I thought I might be missing it because it seemed to fit. I have reverted to no Ab.

Quote-m19 and 23: These chords should fall on beats 2 and 4, not on 1.5 and 3.5
    Ah good catch

Quote-m22: I hear another F in the R.H. on beat 2
    A bit unsure of this one - I guess if I understand your feedback correctly, it's a three eight note rhythm instead of note rest note. I hear the F down an octave on that beat 2, and also can hear it in m18.

Quote-m24: All 8th note beams and stems here in the R.H. should be flipped downwards
    This must've been due to how I had this before (two layers), but it hid in plain sight, fixed.

Quote-m26: I do think I hear the Eb in beat 4, but I feel like that might be an overtone from the Ab? But I'll admit it doesn't clash as hard as I expected it to.
    I think you're right in that it's an overtone. It took listening some more and listening to m34 before I realized the Ab in the original is not a second trombone, but is actually the trumpet coming down from the F. I have removed the high. Eb part
    Spoiler
    [close]

Quote-m27: The quarter rest on beat 3 should be one tick lowe
    Fixed
    Quote-m29: I hear a Bb on beat 2 in the R.H. sliding to a Bn, kinda like in m32
    Yeah I think this snuck by initially but I have fixed
    Quote-m34: I hear an Ab in the R.H. too on beat 4, tied to the next bar.
    Is this not the same Ab that is in the LH (i.e. trumpet)? I am not hearing a second one in the RH.

I have updated, thanks for feedback!

Static

Quote from: Kricketune54 on June 06, 2022, 12:09:20 PMYeah I was honestly not hearing it either but I thought I might be missing it because it seemed to fit. I have reverted to no Ab.
    I'm still hearing the Abs in those spots. In the original, it's played by the guitar an octave down from where you put them, though it is pretty quiet compared to the other notes.

Bloop

Quote from: Static on June 06, 2022, 12:23:02 PMI'm still hearing the Abs in those spots. In the original, it's played by the guitar an octave down from where you put them, though it is pretty quiet compared to the other notes.
    I really can't hear them myself either, even when using audiostretch :p I can kinda hear one in m5 from something trombone-like, but that might as well be an overtone from the tuba. I definitely don't hear them in the guitars though.

Quote from: Kricketune54 on June 06, 2022, 12:09:20 PMA bit unsure of this one - I guess if I understand your feedback correctly, it's a three eight note rhythm instead of note rest note. I hear the F down an octave on that beat 2, and also can hear it in m18.
    Yeah I meant it as the three 8th note rhythm, though I think it should still be the same octave as the other 2? At least I'm hearing the attack of the note with the plectrum more than the actual note.

Quote from: Kricketune54 on June 06, 2022, 12:09:20 PMI think you're right in that it's an overtone. It took listening some more and listening to m34 before I realized the Ab in the original is not a second trombone, but is actually the trumpet coming down from the F. I have removed the high Eb part
    That's how I heard it too yeah, great ^^

Quote from: Kricketune54 on June 06, 2022, 12:09:20 PMIs this not the same Ab that is in the LH (i.e. trumpet)? I am not hearing a second one in the RH.
    I'm slightly hearing an Ab an octave higher than the Ab in the L.H., but it could be overtone troubles again too actually.

Also, don't know if this was like this before, but in m20 the 8th notes should be beamed downwards but with the staccatos still placed above the notes. Or did you forget to tie over the Ab of the previous bar?

Kricketune54

QuoteI really can't hear them myself either, even when using audiostretch :p I can kinda hear one in m5 from something trombone-like, but that might as well be an overtone from the tuba. I definitely don't hear them in the guitars though.
    I'm going to opt to leave out then

QuoteYeah I meant it as the three 8th note rhythm, though I think it should still be the same octave as the other 2? At least I'm hearing the attack of the note with the plectrum more than the actual note.
    I did the old pitch it up an octave, slow it down, and I still hear it the way I had it

QuoteI'm slightly hearing an Ab an octave higher than the Ab in the L.H., but it could be overtone troubles again too actually.
    Perhaps it's overtones, I've decided to change the rhythms and notes a bit so the tuba is more it's own low note and the upper notes are held for a little less and in the RH.

QuoteAlso, don't know if this was like this before, but in m20 the 8th notes should be beamed downwards but with the staccatos still placed above the notes. Or did you forget to tie over the Ab of the previous bar?
    I thought I got this before, but must not have. I have fixed the directions (no ties missed)

Bloop

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Bloop.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot