News:

oh god how did this get here I am not good with computer

Main Menu

Cashwarrior1's Space Travel Project Sheet(s)

Started by cashwarrior1, May 04, 2022, 12:29:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cashwarrior1

Alright here's one, I may do a second one if I can find time before the deadline.

Halo: Combat Evolved - Halo [musx]

I am unsure about the notes for measure 31, I was trying to follow the upper string line but I can't exactly tell what it's doing.

Libera

I remember trying to play the old version of this on-site and it being a bit of a mess haha.  Would be nice to have a decent version back on site after all these years.

-I feel like the key signature should be Em (1 sharp) with the C#s being more like a dorian thing.  Usually we try to denote the tonal centre with the key signature, and E is the definitely the tonic for this piece.
-I'm not a huge fan of the way these cross-staffed Es are presented in bars 6-9.  I might look neater with the beam reversed so that it is between the two staves, like it is in bar 9.  That way you don't get this lop-sided look.
-Losing the bass in the second half of bars 16-17 is a little underwhelming, but I don't know if I have any specific suggestions beyond moving those sections down an octave.  That might sound a little uneven though.  Something to think about anyway.  (Repeat this comment for all the other similar places e.g. 25, 42-43 etc.)
-The double eighth rests in bars 22-24 should be quarter rests.
-The RH in bar 31 sounds like you've written in a mixture of two different parts, along with some stuff that I can't hear at all.  I agree it's pretty hard to make out but this is a rough guess as to what I can hear:
Spoiler
You cannot view this attachment.
[close]
which I might combine something like this:
Spoiler
You cannot view this attachment.
[close]
But there are other options, like staying on the D for beats 5-7.  Again, something to think about.
-You could try include the extra string part in bars 34-35/46-47, but maybe you already tried it and it didn't work out that well.
-There is a lot more harmony going on in the choir in bars 49-54.  I'd suggest having another listen and trying to pick out some more of it.
-Why does the second layer A come off early in bar 51?  I can't really tell any difference in the original.
-Missing a B in bar 55 RH (you wrote it in for bar 14).
-I'd highly recommend moving one bar from the second system of bar page 4 to the third system.  Bars 52-54 look very squished at the moment, but there is plenty of space in bars 56-58.
-There seem to be some disparate selection of pedal markings throughout the sheet that aren't hidden.  I assume this is a mistake.
-I think in general the dynamics could be centred (vertically and horizontally) a little more carefully.
-I don't remember this piano piece at the end of the sheet, and on vgmdb it says that this is actually a hidden track on the album i.e. not from Halo.  Based on this, I think it should be removed.
-I can't remember whether the cadenza should be included in the bar numberings.  It is probably fine either way but we can check.

Hopefully that helps.

cashwarrior1

Quote from: Libera on May 07, 2022, 07:34:57 AM-Losing the bass in the second half of bars 16-17 is a little underwhelming, but I don't know if I have any specific suggestions beyond moving those sections down an octave.  That might sound a little uneven though.  Something to think about anyway.  (Repeat this comment for all the other similar places e.g. 25, 42-43 etc.)
I have experimented with it and I figured it would just be best to let there be a moment of air, since it does feel a little more impactful when the bass comes back in.

Quote from: Libera on May 07, 2022, 07:34:57 AM-You could try include the extra string part in bars 34-35/46-47, but maybe you already tried it and it didn't work out that well.
Yeah I tried this too, my best option having the left hand play those notes but holding the pedal for all of that got kinda messy.

Quote from: Libera on May 07, 2022, 07:34:57 AM-There is a lot more harmony going on in the choir in bars 49-54.  I'd suggest having another listen and trying to pick out some more of it.
I'll have to take a look later when I have time, so this one is left undone for now.

Quote from: Libera on May 07, 2022, 07:34:57 AM-Why does the second layer A come off early in bar 51?  I can't really tell any difference in the original.
I only did that to indicate the rh should not hold onto that note (also the pedal will hold that note) because the left hand plays it on beat 3.

Quote from: Libera on May 07, 2022, 07:34:57 AM-I don't remember this piano piece at the end of the sheet, and on vgmdb it says that this is actually a hidden track on the album i.e. not from Halo.  Based on this, I think it should be removed.
I never played the original halo so I just thought this was a unique part of the theme never used again lol

Updated.

cashwarrior1

Quote from: cashwarrior1 on May 08, 2022, 10:11:39 AMI'll have to take a look later when I have time, so this one is left undone for now.
Sorry it took me a while to add a few harmonies, jobs had me working extra because people quit lol

Libera

Quote from: cashwarrior1 on May 08, 2022, 10:11:39 AMI only did that to indicate the rh should not hold onto that note (also the pedal will hold that note) because the left hand plays it on beat 3.

You don't need to bring it off for that (it will be clear what to do because the left hand has to play the As later) but it will look a lot more consistent if you write it like in bars 48-50.  Another thing to mention is that because the pedal markings aren't written in, the performer may not pedal the whole bar.

Some other things.

-I don't remember the tie between bars 55-56.  It's clashing a little with the accidental at the moment, and to be honest I think you could just remove it.  It wouldn't hurt to just restrike the F# there.
-There should be a fermata on the left hand in bar 58 as well.

Everything else looks good!

cashwarrior1

Quote from: Libera on May 21, 2022, 01:04:04 PMYou don't need to bring it off for that (it will be clear what to do because the left hand has to play the As later) but it will look a lot more consistent if you write it like in bars 48-50.  Another thing to mention is that because the pedal markings aren't written in, the performer may not pedal the whole bar.
Ah that makes sense

Updated.

Libera

Halo

There are still some unhidden pedal markings hanging around, but I'll approve anyway so another updater can look in the meantime.

Static

• Bungie should be added as the developer (and technically the publisher is Microsoft Game Studios, not Microsoft in general).
  • m21, 22, etc. LH: Those 8th note bass pickups at the end of these measures and many other measures should be D instead of B.
  • m25 RH Layer 2: The A sounds like it should be tied to beat 3, I don't hear it rearticulate.
  • m28 RH beats 2 and 4 (as in, the 2nd/4th dotted quarter beat): Maybe add the lower string voice here (A and B under the D and E; B and C# under the E and F#). Single notes are fine in m29, but I think having those lower notes lead into the C# and D works nicely and isn't too demanding to play at tempo.
  • m28-29 RH: There are some upper As in the strings that you could add if you want.
  • m57-58 LH: There's an F# here between the E and A.

cashwarrior1

Quote from: Static on May 23, 2022, 09:42:35 AM
  • m25 RH Layer 2: The A sounds like it should be tied to beat 3, I don't hear it rearticulate.
I had thought that that line played eighth notes through beat 3 and 4, but listening again I'm not sure if that's what's happening lol

Quote from: Static on May 23, 2022, 09:42:35 AM
  • m28-29 RH: There are some upper As in the strings that you could add if you want.
I added them on the beats mostly.

Updated.

Static