News:

Local man invests life savings into turnips. When asked whether it was a wise decision he responded, "Eh. I'm sure someone will buy them."

Main Menu

Th3Gavst3r's Space Travel Project Sheets

Started by Th3Gavst3r, May 05, 2022, 04:43:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Th3Gavst3r

[XB360] Halo 3

Never Forget
[musx]

Static

• m12: I know this is nitpicky, but the diminuendo here is ever so slightly not aligned with the crescendo in m10-11
  • m32 LH beat 3.5: There is a low C# here
  • m34 RH beat 3.5: There's an E under the G# here
  • m44 RH beat 3.75: There are some additional notes (C# and F#) under the A#
  • m48 RH beat 2.5: I think there's a C# under the F#
  • m67 RH beat 2.5: I'm not hearing the high Eb here
  • m69 LH beat 3: There should be a Db here
  • m74 LH beat 1: I think there's an additional Bb an octave above the low one.
  • m81-81: Maybe put a crescendo here like in m76-77.
  • If you want, you can disable all those natural signs in the key changes by doing to Document > Document Options > Key Signatures > uncheck "Cancel outgoing key signatures". Unfortunately, this also includes key changes from more to less sharps/flats, but luckily you don't have that here so it won't be an issue. I just think doing this eliminates unnecessary visual clutter.
  • Also nitpicky, but Halo 3 was published by Microsoft Game Studios specifically, not the company as a whole... it's probably fine either way though.
Great arrangement

Th3Gavst3r

Quote from: Static on May 09, 2022, 10:19:05 AMm12: I know this is nitpicky, but the diminuendo here is ever so slightly not aligned with the crescendo in m10-11
Thanks for being nitpicky, I spend hours pixel-perfecting sheets myself lol. I used the align dynamics tool this time so it should be right

Quote from: Static on May 09, 2022, 10:19:05 AMm32 LH beat 3.5: There is a low C# here
Yup I hear it, added

Quote from: Static on May 09, 2022, 10:19:05 AMm34 RH beat 3.5: There's an E under the G# here
I hear a D natural in the piano actually. I think the timpanis are tuned to E, but the D natural chromatic approach seems more in line with the low C# you mentioned in m32. I added it instead.

Quote from: Static on May 09, 2022, 10:19:05 AMm44 RH beat 3.75: There are some additional notes (C# and F#) under the A#
I don't hear any new notes, all I hear is the sustained F#M in the chorus with those pitches. If anything I might barely hear an anticipatory F natural on beat 3.75, but I don't think it sounds very good played there since F natural would be immediately reiterated on the next bar. Speaking of, I removed the lower G# octave from m45 because I didn't notice it's kind of an awkward position coming from the 16th A#.

Quote from: Static on May 09, 2022, 10:19:05 AMm48 RH beat 2.5: I think there's a C# under the F#
I don't hear this one either. I'd rather keep the clarity in the melody line anyway, like it does in m54

Quote from: Static on May 09, 2022, 10:19:05 AMm67 RH beat 2.5: I'm not hearing the high Eb here
I hear it pretty clearly myself, and I'm pretty sure it isn't an overtone or anything. Even though it's kind of weird palcement, I think the regular ascending scale sounds kind of bland leading into the most complex voicing of the song. I think adding the octave helps a bit.

Quote from: Static on May 09, 2022, 10:19:05 AMm69 LH beat 3: There should be a Db here
Yeah I hear that too. Added it

Quote from: Static on May 09, 2022, 10:19:05 AMm74 LH beat 1: I think there's an additional Bb an octave above the low one.
I think you're right that there's an octave, but I think an A1 is too low. The tone down at the bottom of the piano doesn't sound delicate enough to me, so I added an upper octave instead.

Quote from: Static on May 09, 2022, 10:19:05 AMm81-81: Maybe put a crescendo here like in m76-77.
I left it out on purpose just like in m21. Most of the phrases in this song fade out at the end, and I don't want the energy to increase into a rallentando/smorzando

Quote from: Static on May 09, 2022, 10:19:05 AMIf you want, you can disable all those natural signs in the key changes by doing to Document > Document Options > Key Signatures > uncheck "Cancel outgoing key signatures". Unfortunately, this also includes key changes from more to less sharps/flats, but luckily you don't have that here so it won't be an issue. I just think doing this eliminates unnecessary visual clutter.
That's a great tip, I had no idea you could do that! Thanks, looks a fair bit nicer without those accidental clusters

Quote from: Static on May 09, 2022, 10:19:05 AMAlso nitpicky, but Halo 3 was published by Microsoft Game Studios specifically, not the company as a whole... it's probably fine either way though.
I was going off the copyright credit on the soundtrack boxart. Bungie isn't actually even credited as copyright holders but it feels like they should be on there too ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote from: Static on May 09, 2022, 10:19:05 AMGreat arrangement
Thanks! :D

Static

Quote from: Th3Gavst3r on May 11, 2022, 04:54:15 PMm34 RH beat 3.5: I hear a D natural in the piano actually. I think the timpanis are tuned to E, but the D natural chromatic approach seems more in line with the low C# you mentioned in m32. I added it instead.
I meant an E in the RH. Although, now that I'm listening again I hear that D in the LH too.

Quote from: Th3Gavst3r on May 11, 2022, 04:54:15 PMm44 RH beat 3.75: I don't hear any new notes, all I hear is the sustained F#M in the chorus with those pitches. If anything I might barely hear an anticipatory F natural on beat 3.75, but I don't think it sounds very good played there since F natural would be immediately reiterated on the next bar. Speaking of, I removed the lower G# octave from m45 because I didn't notice it's kind of an awkward position coming from the 16th A#.
Quote from: Th3Gavst3r on May 11, 2022, 04:54:15 PMm48 RH beat 2.5: I don't hear this one either. I'd rather keep the clarity in the melody line anyway, like it does in m54
I was hearing those extra notes in the piano part specifically (along with that E in m34). It might not hurt to transcribe those parts as they were performed, even if it is a bit more awkward to play (I think this was a live recording, wasn't it? maybe not, idk).

Quote from: Th3Gavst3r on May 11, 2022, 04:54:15 PMm67 RH beat 2.5: I hear it pretty clearly myself, and I'm pretty sure it isn't an overtone or anything. Even though it's kind of weird palcement, I think the regular ascending scale sounds kind of bland leading into the most complex voicing of the song. I think adding the octave helps a bit.
Ah yeah I hear it now. Idk why I wasn't hearing it earlier

Quote from: Th3Gavst3r on May 11, 2022, 04:54:15 PMm74 LH beat 1: I think you're right that there's an octave, but I think an A1 is too low. The tone down at the bottom of the piano doesn't sound delicate enough to me, so I added an upper octave instead.
Yeah, that's what I meant anyway, sorry if I confused you there

Everything else looks good!

Th3Gavst3r

Quote from: Static on May 11, 2022, 06:59:57 PMm34 RH beat 3.5: I meant an E in the RH. Although, now that I'm listening again I hear that D in the LH too.
Oh right, I totally misread and missed that. Added it

Quote from: Static on May 11, 2022, 06:59:57 PMI was hearing those extra notes in the piano part specifically (along with that E in m34). It might not hurt to transcribe those parts as they were performed, even if it is a bit more awkward to play (I think this was a live recording, wasn't it? maybe not, idk).
m44 RH beat 3.75: I think I can make out an F# in m44 but I can't hear anything resembling a C# and it would be difficult to play anyway, so I added just an F#.
m48 RH beat 2.5: I can't hear anything extra in m48 though no matter how hard I try so I'm leaving that one alone.

Static

Looks and sounds good then. I think it's fine to leave out those notes, and after reviewing the original track again I'm having a hard time hearing that C# in m48 too, so yeah. This one's approved

Bloop

-m32: Maybe you could add a courtesy accidental to the An in the R.H. here, as it could be accidentally mistaken for an A# (you also added one in m42 it seems)
-m37-38: I think I hear a C# on beat 1.5 of these two bars in the L.H., but I'm not 100% sure.
-m66: Maybe instead of tying the R.H. note to that 8th note, you could just change it to an 8th rest, so it doesn't look like there's a connection between that note and the next line.
-m67: I don't hear the high Eb on beat 2.5 of the R.H., I'm pretty sure that's just an overtone.

Th3Gavst3r

Quote from: Bloop on May 21, 2022, 05:39:54 AM-m32: Maybe you could add a courtesy accidental to the An in the R.H. here, as it could be accidentally mistaken for an A# (you also added one in m42 it seems)
Yeah that's a good spot for one, added it

Quote from: Bloop on May 21, 2022, 05:39:54 AM-m37-38: I think I hear a C# on beat 1.5 of these two bars in the L.H., but I'm not 100% sure.
It's definitely a bit difficult to pick apart from the F#M vocal chords in m37. That said, including both notes together on beat 1.5 sounds too rich, and I like the sound of an F# better than a C# because it creates a stronger separation from the C# on beat 4.5 of the measure before and avoids carrying over the C#M sound. I can hear an F# much more clearly in m28 though, so I'm more convinced that's what's really played.

Quote from: Bloop on May 21, 2022, 05:39:54 AM-m66: Maybe instead of tying the R.H. note to that 8th note, you could just change it to an 8th rest, so it doesn't look like there's a connection between that note and the next line.
Oh yeah, I think that's a good idea! Gets rid of that super tall stem too

Quote from: Bloop on May 21, 2022, 05:39:54 AM-m67: I don't hear the high Eb on beat 2.5 of the R.H., I'm pretty sure that's just an overtone.
I still hear it really clearly, at about the same volume as the E from m66 in fact. It's clear enough that in my ears it overpowers what would be the fundamental lower octave if it were an overtone, and I don't think that's characteristic of piano timbre is it? There aren't really any comparable overtones in the adjacent notes either, so I'm convinced the higher octave is well-defined enough that it must've been played intentionally, and I've still left it in.

Bloop

Quote from: Th3Gavst3r on May 25, 2022, 07:41:10 PMI still hear it really clearly, at about the same volume as the E from m66 in fact. It's clear enough that in my ears it overpowers what would be the fundamental lower octave if it were an overtone, and I don't think that's characteristic of piano timbre is it? There aren't really any comparable overtones in the adjacent notes either, so I'm convinced the higher octave is well-defined enough that it must've been played intentionally, and I've still left it in.
Oh yeah, I hear what you mean now (I see now that Static mentioned it too, haha). Slowed down it's a lot less noticeable at least, which still makes me question if it's really there or not, but I'll give you the benefit if the doubt and accept!
You cannot view this attachment.