News:

Need help with Finale? Have a question about arranging? NSM Resources is the place to go!

Main Menu

[GBC] Pokémon Card GB2: Here Comes Team GR! - "Duel vs. Team GR" by Olimar12345

Started by Zeta, May 15, 2022, 01:24:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Pokémon
Game: Pokémon Card GB2: Here Comes Team GR!
Console: Game Boy Color
Title: Duel vs. Team GR
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Olimar12345

[attachment deleted by admin]

Olimar12345

Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Static

It's been awhile...
  • m12/48 RH: The grace notes at the end should be Bb-Bn.
  • m20/56 LH beat 2.5 should be a Cn tied to beat 3.
  • m54 RH: Slur colliding with note.
  • m85: I know this sounds like it should be swing, but in the original track I don't think it is. Everything's played straight.
  • m100 LH beats 3-4: The lower triplet voice sounds a little different to me, I'm assuming you moved around the notes for playability? It wouldn't be that much harder if it was the original line but that's fine.
  • m99 LH beat 4: G# should be An.
  • m108/116 LH beats 3-4: I hear these measures as opposites; m108 only has one triplet line (no harmony) + bass line, m116 has the triplet line harmonized.
  • m121 RH beat 4.5: Gb should be Gn.

Olimar12345

Quote from: Static on May 16, 2022, 01:44:52 PMm12/48 RH: The grace notes at the end should be Bb-Bn.
fixed.
Quote from: Static on May 16, 2022, 01:44:52 PMm20/56 LH beat 2.5 should be a Cn tied to beat 3.
fixed.
Quote from: Static on May 16, 2022, 01:44:52 PMm54 RH: Slur colliding with note.
ugh that's an exporting thing (when you hide articulations). Should be fixed now.
Quote from: Static on May 16, 2022, 01:44:52 PMm85: I know this sounds like it should be swing, but in the original track I don't think it is. Everything's played straight.
I did this intentionally. I know it is straight throughout in the original, but the walking bass implies swing. Sometimes up-tempo latin charts to do this in big band lit:
couple of examples that came to mind
https://www.jwpepper.com/Fiesta-Bahia/2480793.item#.YoL2s6jMIuU (not on YT, check out the sax soli 2:20)
[close]
imo It would be more awkward if it was instructed to be played straight, but regardless, at that tempo it wouldn't be very noticeable anyway d:
Quote from: Static on May 16, 2022, 01:44:52 PMm100 LH beats 3-4: The lower triplet voice sounds a little different to me, I'm assuming you moved around the notes for playability? It wouldn't be that much harder if it was the original line but that's fine.
Play it. It's much easier this way d: But yes, that was why I did this.
Quote from: Static on May 16, 2022, 01:44:52 PMm99 LH beat 4: G# should be An.
Check that one again, it's definitely a G# there (it leads to the An on beat 1 of 100).
Quote from: Static on May 16, 2022, 01:44:52 PMm108/116 LH beats 3-4: I hear these measures as opposites; m108 only has one triplet line (no harmony) + bass line, m116 has the triplet line harmonized.
You're hearing it correctly! Funny how this one turned out. I simplified the line at m116 since it has a different harmonic structure and wouldn't have worked the same while keeping the bass line (since it changes here, I wanted to make it very clear). 108 is simply a repetition of a previous idea, so I kept the pianist playing what they had already done rather than have them learn it two different ways. In a prior draft I omitted the harmony from all of the triplet figures, but lxf convinced me to include it d: so we worked out a way to make it more approachable.
Quote from: Static on May 16, 2022, 01:44:52 PMm121 RH beat 4.5: Gb should be Gn.
It might be a GB soundfont issue mucking things up, but it is definitely a Gn there. The Gm9 is being repeated from measure 117.

Everything should be updated.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Static

Quote from: Olimar12345 on May 16, 2022, 06:51:23 PMI did this intentionally. I know it is straight throughout in the original, but the walking bass implies swing. Sometimes up-tempo latin charts to do this in big band lit:
imo It would be more awkward if it was instructed to be played straight, but regardless, at that tempo it wouldn't be very noticeable anyway d:
I get that's what it implies or references (I was thinking of similar examples myself), but it doesn't really sound swing at all in the original track there even with the walking bass. I guess in a performance it wouldn't make that much of a difference, though. Maybe someone else has some opinions on that.

Quote from: Olimar12345 on May 16, 2022, 06:51:23 PMYou're hearing it correctly! Funny how this one turned out. I simplified the line at m116 since it has a different harmonic structure and wouldn't have worked the same while keeping the bass line (since it changes here, I wanted to make it very clear). 108 is simply a repetition of a previous idea, so I kept the pianist playing what they had already done rather than have them learn it two different ways. In a prior draft I omitted the harmony from all of the triplet figures, but lxf convinced me to include it d: so we worked out a way to make it more approachable.
That makes sense to me, but I'd still consider simplifying m108 anyway by just using the bassline there. I don't see the point in adding a more difficult LH part just to make it match m104, since that's arguably more difficult than just writing the actual part.
If you do decide to keep it as-is, I also want to confirm you moved the Bb in m108 LH from beat 2.5 to beat 2 intentionally? That sounds fine, I think.

Quote from: Olimar12345 on May 16, 2022, 06:51:23 PMIt might be a GB soundfont issue mucking things up, but it is definitely a Gn there. The Gm9 is being repeated from measure 117.
...That's what I said? You still have a Gb there. Just to be clear, I'm referring to m121 RH beat 4.5.

The other stuff looks good.

Olimar12345

Quote from: Static on May 16, 2022, 07:11:55 PMI get that's what it implies or references (I was thinking of similar examples myself), but it doesn't really sound swing at all in the original track there even with the walking bass. I guess in a performance it wouldn't make that much of a difference, though. Maybe someone else has some opinions on that.
And you're right, the walking bass is the thing that makes it feel like swing (and it means a thing oh god bad jazz joke aaaaa). If you were playing a Latin number with other musicians and the bass started to walk, there'd be no question that the message being conveyed would be to swing the jazz 8s.

Quote from: Static on May 16, 2022, 07:11:55 PMThat makes sense to me, but I'd still consider simplifying m108 anyway by just using the bassline there. I don't see the point in adding a more difficult LH part just to make it match m104, since that's arguably more difficult than just writing the actual part.
1) That's because in the structure of this piece, this is the shout chorus. This is the climax of the piece; it's loud (the only fortissimo in the entire arrangement) with high energy, and everything has built to this moment. On an acoustic instrument like this, physically adding more notes helps give you a larger, richer sound.

2) The point you may not be seeing about the "difficulty" appears if you approach it from a different angle. If I have the part written at m104 with both voices playing the triplets, that is definitely going to take more practice to play than if I had played it with only the RH. If I did it for m104 and not m108, the performer now has to learn how to play the same figure two different ways (which present their own difficulties, such as the syncopation that would arise). It's also kinder to the performer to keep it consistant: If you're going to make them practice that figure, at least let them play it more than once. d:

Quote from: Static on May 16, 2022, 07:11:55 PMIf you do decide to keep it as-is, I also want to confirm you moved the Bb in m108 LH from beat 2.5 to beat 2 intentionally? That sounds fine, I think.
Yes, that was an intentional simplification.

Quote from: Static on May 16, 2022, 07:11:55 PM...That's what I said? You still have a Gb there. Just to be clear, I'm referring to m121 RH beat 4.5.
Sorry, I misread that as LH beat 4. Fixed.

Static

Olimar12345

Quote from: Olimar12345 on May 31, 2022, 01:46:17 PM
Quote from: Latios212 on May 21, 2022, 03:51:26 PMJust a passing comment as I browse through submissions: I don't recall there being an official soundtrack listing for this game, but if I remember correctly, matches in the game are generally referred to as "duels", not "battles". As such, I think "Normal Duel" or "Duel" would be a better name for the track, although not all YouTube uploads agree. (The same goes for your other submission.)

Good point, I agree. I have updated the titles of this and my other submission accordingly.

Latios212

Cool! Looks good, just a few things to mention:
- Grace notes in general: would recommend flipping the slur upwards where there's a dyad afterwards and it resolves to the upper note (like in m. 30, 50, etc.)
- m. 102-115 section RH: The grace notes are chromatic elsewhere in the piece and I think should be here as well (e.g. Bn in 102, G# in 103, D# in 104 and such)
- m. 118 LH: The LH sounds like it plays Cn instead of C# both times
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Olimar12345

Quote from: Latios212 on May 31, 2022, 06:58:21 PM- Grace notes in general: would recommend flipping the slur upwards where there's a dyad afterwards and it resolves to the upper note (like in m. 30, 50, etc.)

That makes sense. I'll flip those.

Quote from: Latios212 on May 31, 2022, 06:58:21 PM- m. 102-115 section RH: The grace notes are chromatic elsewhere in the piece and I think should be here as well (e.g. Bn in 102, G# in 103, D# in 104 and such)

Good catch, I agree. Fixed.

Quote from: Latios212 on May 31, 2022, 06:58:21 PM- m. 118 LH: The LH sounds like it plays Cn instead of C# both times

Beautiful, great catch. Fixed.

Files should be ready to go.

Latios212

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Olimar12345

Latios212

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Zeta