News:

Iron gates are a thing of the past! Now, you can access your yard with the all-new NinSheetMusic-brand Teleportation Technology!

Main Menu

[GBC] Pokémon Trading Card Game - "Duel" by Olimar12345

Started by Zeta, May 15, 2022, 02:16:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Pokémon
Game: Pokémon Trading Card Game
Console: Game Boy Color
Title: Duel
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Olimar12345

[attachment deleted by admin]

Olimar12345

Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Kricketune54

This seems like a fairly long loop for the console, though admittedly not too familiar with this game's music or most music outside a few series on Game Boy Color haha

Not too much to say but here is some feedback

- Personal question on my part were sixteenth grace notes chosen over eighths for a reason?
- m15 and m23 RH beat 1 and other couple instances like this the note length seems shorter than a dotted eighth in my opinion, but I can see the case for keeping as is given it can contrast to the the wide usage of accents on dotted eighths in this arrangement
- m18 RH beat 3 this also sounds more like a tenuto than staccato. I would say the same of m34 RH beat 3
- m23 RH beat 1 this does sound like a staccato
- m40 beat 3.25 both hands - not sure a tenuto is warranted here for these notes as there is some audible space before beat 4 in the original
- I've personally never seen a cresc. written as is in m50 - is that an uncommon space saving method?
- m62 LH beat 4.5 this should be F#
- m69 LH beat 4.5 is there a point to having a tenuto on a tied note?

Olimar12345

Thanks for taking a look! I sort of responded to these out of order:

Quote from: Kricketune54 on May 15, 2022, 05:27:49 PM- Personal question on my part were sixteenth grace notes chosen over eighths for a reason?
I prefer my grace notes to look like smaller note values, so I usually use 16ths. Although, 8ths as grace notes are common in other styles and genres. That'd be an interesting thing to look up.
Quote from: Kricketune54 on May 15, 2022, 05:27:49 PM- I've personally never seen a cresc. written as is in m50 - is that an uncommon space saving method?
It can be, lol (and is in this instance).
Quote from: Kricketune54 on May 15, 2022, 05:27:49 PM- m62 LH beat 4.5 this should be F#
Sorry, that's supposed to be an E (as written).
Quote from: Kricketune54 on May 15, 2022, 05:27:49 PM- m69 LH beat 4.5 is there a point to having a tenuto on a tied note?
Yes, but there is an error in this measure. the RH and LH should both have tenuto marks, so I added the missing one in the RH. It is to indicate that the note should be held its full value, until it touches either a note or rest. It may also be played with more weight (think less than an accent).

On the topic of articulations, there are several factors at play working against us. In the source material the exact note lengths can sometimes be ambiguous due to things like reverb, the tone of the Game Boy's chiptune, and even the particular recording/rip. The method in which we listen to them can also shroud things considerably (speakers, head/earphones, etc.). My objective here was to try to make things as clear to a performer as possible while being as authentic as possible, which as you noticed has some drawbacks. (not everything "fits" into a nice, easy-to-read format d: )
Quote from: Kricketune54 on May 15, 2022, 05:27:49 PM- m15 and m23 RH beat 1 and other couple instances like this the note length seems shorter than a dotted eighth in my opinion, but I can see the case for keeping as is given it can contrast to the the wide usage of accents on dotted eighths in this arrangement
Precisely. I left this note as full value with the intent that the staccato in the LH would create that illusion.
Quote from: Kricketune54 on May 15, 2022, 05:27:49 PM- m18 RH beat 3 this also sounds more like a tenuto than staccato. I would say the same of m34 RH beat 3
While I agree that it is not quite the same as the quarter note that follows, it is considerably different from the second two repetitions in that sequence, and I wanted that to be clear to the performer.
Quote from: Kricketune54 on May 15, 2022, 05:27:49 PM- m23 RH beat 1 this does sound like a staccato
Same reasoning as m15.
Quote from: Kricketune54 on May 15, 2022, 05:27:49 PM- m40 beat 3.25 both hands - not sure a tenuto is warranted here for these notes as there is some audible space before beat 4 in the original
While yes, the original has a clear short separation between these and the following notes, since it is happening so considerably quickly, I opted to emphasize the "fullness" of that note. If it touches the next note I don't think listeners will be off-put by it!
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Latios212

Just a passing comment as I browse through submissions: I don't recall there being an official soundtrack listing for this game, but if I remember correctly, matches in the game are generally referred to as "duels", not "battles". As such, I think "Normal Duel" or "Duel" would be a better name for the track, although not all YouTube uploads agree. (The same goes for your other submission.)
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Olimar12345

Quote from: Latios212 on May 21, 2022, 03:51:26 PMJust a passing comment as I browse through submissions: I don't recall there being an official soundtrack listing for this game, but if I remember correctly, matches in the game are generally referred to as "duels", not "battles". As such, I think "Normal Duel" or "Duel" would be a better name for the track, although not all YouTube uploads agree. (The same goes for your other submission.)

Good point, I agree. I have updated the titles of this and my other submission accordingly.

Latios212

Quote from: Olimar12345 on May 31, 2022, 01:46:17 PMGood point, I agree. I have updated the titles of this and my other submission accordingly.
Great!

Quote from: Kricketune54 on May 15, 2022, 05:27:49 PMThis seems like a fairly long loop for the console, though admittedly not too familiar with this game's music or most music outside a few series on Game Boy Color haha
Definitely one of the my favorite GBC tracks out there <3

My feedback:
- Have you thought about lowering beat 1-2 of the LH of m. 9-16 (and similar) by an octave? I feel like the pattern right now is a bit high and I've always been drawn to the lower D's when listening. In particular, it feels like somewhat of a jump in m. 16 to play the accompaniment lower.
- Same comment as in your other submission about flipping the slurs up when there's a dyad
- Also similar to your other submission, all of the grace notes in this piece approach the melody chromatically. For m. 58, the notes are B-Cn instead of A-B.
- The end of m. 24/28 RH should be all parallel fourths
- Last bass note in m. 46 should be D#
- I would recommend not writing in the slur in the lower layer between m. 49-50 and 56-58, as they're so close to horizontal they could easily be mistaken for ties.
- The second to last bass note in m. 54/62 should be F#
- Just a thought, if you make m. 41-46 three-measure systems since they're a bit denser then surrounding parts, that'd both fill in the 2-measure gap at the end of the sheet and align the hypermeter with system breaks on the last page!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Olimar12345

Quote from: Latios212 on June 01, 2022, 06:47:01 PM- Have you thought about lowering beat 1-2 of the LH of m. 9-16 (and similar) by an octave? I feel like the pattern right now is a bit high and I've always been drawn to the lower D's when listening. In particular, it feels like somewhat of a jump in m. 16 to play the accompaniment lower.

I considered it but decided not to. The chord sounds too muddy down low, and if I move just the Ds down that leap would increase the demand of the pianist more than I would like to.

Quote from: Latios212 on June 01, 2022, 06:47:01 PM- Same comment as in your other submission about flipping the slurs up when there's a dyad

I adjusted these, but I will be leaving the ones in m 53 and 61 as-is since they are between beamed notes and would look really bad flipped.

Quote from: Latios212 on June 01, 2022, 06:47:01 PM- Also similar to your other submission, all of the grace notes in this piece approach the melody chromatically. For m. 58, the notes are B-Cn instead of A-B.

Thank you, I've edited this accordingly.

Quote from: Latios212 on June 01, 2022, 06:47:01 PM- The end of m. 24/28 RH should be all parallel fourths

Fixed.

Quote from: Latios212 on June 01, 2022, 06:47:01 PM- Last bass note in m. 46 should be D#

It's kind of hard to tell, but eh, I'll change that over.

Quote from: Latios212 on June 01, 2022, 06:47:01 PM- I would recommend not writing in the slur in the lower layer between m. 49-50 and 56-58, as they're so close to horizontal they could easily be mistaken for ties.

I would prefer to have them, but I can offset them more if it helps. 56-58 isn't as bad as the first one though.

Quote from: Latios212 on June 01, 2022, 06:47:01 PM- The second to last bass note in m. 54/62 should be F#

...no, it shouldn't. That's a G as written (sounding pretty clearly). Slow it down/adjust the eq if you need to. Are you listening to the one I posted?

Quote from: Latios212 on June 01, 2022, 06:47:01 PM- Just a thought, if you make m. 41-46 three-measure systems since they're a bit denser then surrounding parts, that'd both fill in the 2-measure gap at the end of the sheet and align the hypermeter with system breaks on the last page!

Sure, any excuse to use more of the empty page. d:

Files are up-to-date.

Latios212

Quote from: Latios212 on June 01, 2022, 06:47:01 PM- Have you thought about lowering beat 1-2 of the LH of m. 9-16 (and similar) by an octave? I feel like the pattern right now is a bit high and I've always been drawn to the lower D's when listening. In particular, it feels like somewhat of a jump in m. 16 to play the accompaniment lower.
Quote from: Olimar12345 on June 02, 2022, 02:09:31 PMI considered it but decided not to. The chord sounds too muddy down low, and if I move just the Ds down that leap would increase the demand of the pianist more than I would like to.
Sure thing, sounds good

Quote from: Latios212 on June 01, 2022, 06:47:01 PM- Also similar to your other submission, all of the grace notes in this piece approach the melody chromatically. For m. 58, the notes are B-Cn instead of A-B.
Quote from: Olimar12345 on June 02, 2022, 02:09:31 PMThank you, I've edited this accordingly.
Ah, to clarify that first part, I meant that all the single grace notes should be chromatically adjacent to the melody throughout the whole piece - making them all sharp if they aren't already. E# in m. 9, D# in m. 10, etc.

Quote from: Latios212 on June 01, 2022, 06:47:01 PM- The second to last bass note in m. 54/62 should be F#
Quote from: Olimar12345 on June 02, 2022, 02:09:31 PM...no, it shouldn't. That's a G as written (sounding pretty clearly). Slow it down/adjust the eq if you need to. Are you listening to the one I posted?
I did double check on the source you posted, and it definitely sounds like an F# to me, slowed down both at original pitch and raised an octave.

Everything else looks good!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Olimar12345

Quote from: Latios212 on June 02, 2022, 02:54:28 PMAh, to clarify that first part, I meant that all the single grace notes should be chromatically adjacent to the melody throughout the whole piece - making them all sharp if they aren't already. E# in m. 9, D# in m. 10, etc.

My fault, I read that wrong. This should be fixed now.

Quote from: Latios212 on June 02, 2022, 02:54:28 PMI did double check on the source you posted, and it definitely sounds like an F# to me, slowed down both at original pitch and raised an octave.

My guess is that the other voices moving downward on that beat might be persuading your ear to hear a lowering F# there (which isn't too hard to believe. The "fa mi re do" scale pattern is incredibly common d: ). Maybe listening more to the intervals will help make this more clear? I definitely hear a minor third between the G and E and I think it would be more apparent if it was supposed to be a major 2nd. Those things considered, Idk what else to say other than I just definitely hear that G in those places, and don't want to change it to what I'm sure it isn't. *shrugs*

Files are up-to-date.

Latios212

Grace notes look good! I also don't know what to say other than I still hear an F# in that part even after triple checking again.

Anyway, I'll approve and whoever next can offer a third opinion on that note!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Olimar12345

You know, I had a hunch of what might had been happening regarding this:

When I use Youtube to listen to this, the F# is clear. I've been using Windows Media Player (don't judge!) and for some reason it sounds like a G when it plays... So I have promptly changed it to an F#. Sorry for dragging this on. :c

Latios212

No worries! I wonder why that might cause it to be heard differently...

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Static

Looks great! I don't really have much to say except that you're missing a grace note in m65 RH beat 4.5.

Olimar12345

Quote from: Static on June 14, 2022, 09:18:53 AMLooks great! I don't really have much to say except that you're missing a grace note in m65 RH beat 4.5.

Thank you. I've added the missing grace note, and the files are now updated.