Game: Mario Party 2
Console: Nintendo 64
Title: Western Land
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Nine Lives

[attachment deleted by admin]

NineLives

Static

• General comment about articulations: I think in general it's probably best to not over-articulate, but there are some spots that could use some extra definition. m43-44 and 51-53 have all-staccato quarters in the RH, so the lack of articulation in the LH on beats 2/4 might get overlooked. It's a hard balance between writing in too many markings vs. not giving enough information for the performer, but try to look for spots like this that you think could be easily overlooked when sightreading.
  • m2 RH beat 3: There's an A in the middle here
  • m11-12 RH: If you want, you could just put the melody G in its own layer, since it's not gonna get obscured by the trumpets like the B was in m7-8.
  • m28/32/etc. RH beat 3: Since both layers share the same quarter rest, it can be moved to the middle of the staff. m40 is missing a rest entirely though.
  • m36 RH beat 4: Normally grace note slurs in the lower layer should be flipped, but I think it looks fine in this sheet. However, I'd still adjust the curve on this particular slur in m36 so it isn't so close to the note above it.
  • m36 LH: You've got a rogue quarter rest here
  • m43-46 RH: There's some additional harmony here (unison rhythm with the melody); it's not just octaves.
  • m50 RH: Maybe add the banjo lick here since nothing else is going on.
  • m51 RH: Dbs should be C#s, to keep the parallel 4ths motion.

NineLives

Well, I should have everything above accounted for, but if I missed something, give me a holler. I fiddled with the articulations a bit as well, so let me know how you feel on those too.

Static

Quote from: Static on May 23, 2022, 01:32:45 PMGeneral comment about articulations: I think in general it's probably best to not over-articulate, but there are some spots that could use some extra definition. m43-44 and 51-53 have all-staccato quarters in the RH, so the lack of articulation in the LH on beats 2/4 might get overlooked. It's a hard balance between writing in too many markings vs. not giving enough information for the performer, but try to look for spots like this that you think could be easily overlooked when sightreading.
Sorry if I was unclear, but I didn't mean that you should change the articulations in those spots; m51-53 RH should be staccato as you had previously. I meant that you should add tenutos to beats 2/4 in the LH there so that it's more clear to the performer that the LH is different from the RH. Likewise for 43-44.

Quote from: Static on May 23, 2022, 01:32:45 PMm11-12 RH: If you want, you could just put the melody G in its own layer, since it's not gonna get obscured by the trumpets like the B was in m7-8.
The G is held here (dotted half tied to a whole), not restruck. That's why I suggested putting in the other layer in the first place.

- m2 RH: Grace note can be flipped upwards here, might look better
- m46 RH: Gn should be G# (E chord).

NineLives

Sorry I misunderstood the first time! Everything's hopefully been updated accordingly.

Static

My bad on m2 - I meant that only the slur should be flipped, so you should flip the grace note back. Grace note step up, slur above.

Just a few more details:

- Slur in m15/17 RH should also be flipped.
- Staccato in m42 RH beat 2 should be flipped.
- m48 RH beat 3 quarter rest should be moved down.
- Ending numbers above m54-55 should be moved left, like on pages 1-2.

Latios212

I uploaded new files with the above changes along with the v26 articulation reset. If they look okay to you then it's accept time!
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

NineLives

Quote from: Latios212 on June 14, 2022, 04:19:23 PMI uploaded new files with the above changes along with the v26 articulation reset. If they look okay to you then it's accept time!
They look good to me.  :)

Static

Bloop

-In general, I feel like the first-second ending repeats are a bit overkill, since you're really just saving 11 measures of information. Removing them all will cause you to have a 4th page though, but you could at least remove the last one (where you only save 3 measures), since there's at least room for one more system.
-m3-6 and 15-18: I hear all quarter notes here as staccato, not just the ones on beat 1 and 3. You could do the same thing with adding tenutos the L.H. in these bars like you did in m51-54.
-m4, 6, 16, 18: There shouldn't be a staccato on the L.H. note on beat 3 I think (if you were adding tenutos, you could either add a tenuto to these notes too, or leave them all untenutoed, or add a slur instead)
-m5, 6 and 17: I don't really hear the grace notes here, at least not as pronounced as the other places in the sheet.
-m19: The R.H. dyad on beat 1 shouldn't have a staccato
-m26: The L.H. notes in this bar should both have the same length, so both either with or without staccato.
-m29-30: I believe the second layer in the R.H. here is a half note triplet.
-m29: L.H. E on beat 3 should be Eb.
-m32, 36, 40: The staccato on beat 1 should be flipped (above the note)
-m35: R.H. beat 4 should have a staccato
-m37 and 41: R.H. beat 2 should have a staccato
-m39: R.H. beat 4 should have a staccato
-m42: Top note in the R.H. on beat 2 should be a G.
-m50: R.H. A on beat 2 should be A#.

NineLives

Quote from: Bloop on June 16, 2022, 01:30:53 PM-m5, 6 and 17: I don't really hear the grace notes here, at least not as pronounced as the other places in the sheet.
I agree that there doesn't sound like there's a grace note in measure 6, but the other two I hear for certain.
Everything else should be accounted for. I also tried to make the articulations(mainly tenutos) more consistent throughout the piece.

Bloop

After adding some more details over discord, I'll accept!
You cannot view this attachment.

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Bloop.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot