Series: Other
Game: GoldenEye 007
Console: Nintendo 64
Title: Bunker
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Kricketune54

Replacement Information:

Links to Existing Sheet: MUS | MIDI | PDF
Replacement Type: Challenge (new arranger)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Kricketune54

XiaoMigros

• You have a double barline between m58-59, did you mean to put that between m56&57?
  • There should also be a double barline before the key change in m41
  • I tampered with the spacing somewhat and I think consistently having 4 measures per system works fine here.
  • There is generally a lot of empty space at the bottom of the pages, and the distance to the top of the page is inconsistent.
As for the notes themselves, at a quick glance they all seem good :)
One thing to consider might be to incorporate more of the percussive sounds, you did that well in the Dm section but the Cm sections sounds a bit empty at times.

Kricketune54

Quote from: XiaoMigros on June 11, 2022, 05:26:27 AM
  • You have a double barline between m58-59, did you mean to put that between m56&57?
  • There should also be a double barline before the key change in m41
  • I tampered with the spacing somewhat and I think consistently having 4 measures per system works fine here.
  • There is generally a lot of empty space at the bottom of the pages, and the distance to the top of the page is inconsistent.
As for the notes themselves, at a quick glance they all seem good :)
One thing to consider might be to incorporate more of the percussive sounds, you did that well in the Dm section but the Cm sections sounds a bit empty at times.

Admittedly, I was a little lazy with the formatting on this one as I based this arrangement on my previous Goldeneye file. So that double bar line for one was a leftover I missed when making edits

The mixed amount of measures per system was a judgement call though, and although I thought it was a bit squished at first in parts I have gone back to 4 per system (measures)

I'm curious as to what you think would be a good incorporation of the percussion in the Cm section, I don't think the RH has a lot of flexibility here for a consistent pattern but I could see something maybe working in the left. This is what I came up with after thinking about a little (ignore formatting)
Spoiler
[close]

XiaoMigros

Quote from: Kricketune54 on June 13, 2022, 08:22:43 AMThis is what I came up with after thinking about a little (ignore formatting)
Spoiler
[close]
Something like this would work, I think it makes sense to add it in the left hand regardless. Formatting aside I'd watch the adjacent 16th note preceding the C3 in m1 b2, I think leaving the one on b2 out entirely would be fine.

Libera

The notes look good to me.  The presentation is a little rough in places though, so I'll go through that.

-I'm really not a big fan of the 8va marking between the staves as it looks cluttered and is easy to misread.  I would recommend just writing those low notes as a separate layer in the left hand with something saying 'RH' if you really want to mandate the hand swap, but you could also do other things instead of the 8va.
-The staff separation seems a bit random.  Most of the time its 1" but sometimes it changes for no apparent reason, particularly on the last page.
-I don't think the repeat is necessary.  You can write this out fully without increasing the page count, and this will get rid of the overly spaced out systems on the last page as well.
-Double barline at the keychange.
-Could we try and get the systems distributed a little more consistently on each page?  Page 3 starts significantly higher up than pages 2 or 4.
-We probably should have discussed this to begin with, but none of the other GoldenEye submissions seem to credit Monty Norman, so maybe it's not necessary.  I don't really mind either way but it feels like it should be consistent.

Quote from: XiaoMigros on June 11, 2022, 05:26:27 AMOne thing to consider might be to incorporate more of the percussive sounds, you did that well in the Dm section but the Cm sections sounds a bit empty at times.

Actually I quite like the way it is currently with the contrast between the sections, so I'd be perfectly fine with this staying as is.  That said, if you really want to add in more stuff in the first section then that's probably fine (but then it should also probably be added to 57+ for consistency).

Kricketune54

Forgot I had done a lot of work with the spacing and never uploaded the files  :P, well made things go a little faster on my end lol

-8va removed, put the notes in the bass clef lower layer, added a RH marking
-Fixed a bunch of spacing stuff, removed the repeat section and copied the 8 bars
-double barline at key change

Monty Norman is on here because I noticed when making my first GoldenEye sub Yug Guy used this same credit a few years ago. So I was aiming for consistency with that

I had added Xiao's recommendations but after seeing your comment I decided to remove them

Libera

This looks a lot better.  Some final suggestions from me presentation-wise:

-I think the tie in bar 13 looks kind of ugly at the moment.  Have you considered something like this (with or without the collision)?
Spoiler
You cannot view this attachment.
[close]
-The overall distribution on pages 2-4 is quite top heavy, with a lot of white space left at the bottom of every page.  Could we make this a little more uniform?  Compare left and right in this:
Spoiler
[close]
I've included your margins in the picture so that you can (hopefully) see the distance between the top system margin and the top page margin is vastly smaller than the distance between the bottom system margin and the bottom page margin in the right picture, where these are roughly even in the left picture.  (That's not the only thing that matters about system distribution, but it illustrates the point I'm trying to make here).

Kricketune54

Spoiler
-I think the tie in bar 13 looks kind of ugly at the moment.  Have you considered something like this (with or without the collision)?
[close]

I've switched to what you have pictured; Is this what to do typically when it comes to ties cutting through other layers?

Spoiler
-The overall distribution on pages 2-4 is quite top heavy, with a lot of white space left at the bottom of every page.  Could we make this a little more uniform?  Compare left and right in this:
[close]

Thank you for including screenshots, fixed this as well

Libera

Quote from: Kricketune54 on July 24, 2022, 11:50:02 AMI've switched to what you have pictured; Is this what to do typically when it comes to ties cutting through other layers?

There are lots of things you can do.  If it's only just colliding then the best thing is probably to move it out of the way, but sometimes moving it away looks way worse than just allowing a (modified) collision to remain.  This look better, but your tie is off-centre.

The distribution looks better as well, although maybe the second page could finish a little lower.

Kricketune54

Okay, I fixed up that tie some more, as well as the second page spacing. Thanks!

Libera

Bloop

Yeah this looks pretty good, just a few tiny things:
-Throughout m1-40, anytime the L.H. doesn't have a second layer above it, the stems of the 16th notes at beat 1 should be flipped.
-You can write the two 8th rests in m73 beat 3-3.5 and m74 beat 2-2.5 as a quarter rest

Kricketune54

Quote-Throughout m1-40, anytime the L.H. doesn't have a second layer above it, the stems of the 16th notes at beat 1 should be flipped.

Huh. I would've thought that this would've defaulted correctly

Quote-You can write the two 8th rests in m73 beat 3-3.5 and m74 beat 2-2.5 as a quarter rest
Fixed

Thanks!

Bloop

Awesome, then I'll accept!