[Wii] Rhythm Heaven Fever - "Dreams of Our Generation (Night Walk)" by Latios212

Started by Zeta, June 16, 2022, 04:26:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Rhythm Heaven
Game: Rhythm Heaven Fever
Console: Wii
Title: Dreams of Our Generation (Night Walk)
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Latios212

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]

Latios212

Not to be confused with...

There's also an instrumental version here which was very helpful when arranging, but for some reason it doesn't match up with the original in at least one place - m. 41, at around 1:29 in the videos, the accompaniment is syncopated from beat 1 in the instrumental, as if to imply the music starts on beat 1.5, which isn't the case in the full English version at least. So feel free to use with a grain of salt.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Static

Looks pretty good
  • When writing in swing 16ths, you may want to consider splitting the sextuplets into two triplets, with a single beam connecting them, since that's how it's felt. A sextuplet is more ambiguous, but at the end of the day I suppose it's not a big deal either way.
  • m12 LH beat 4.25: Should be dotted 8th
  • m18 beat 3.5: This note sounds longer to me, and there's an additional bass note on beat 4.
  • m26 LH beat 4.75: I think I hear a Db here
  • m46 LH beat 4.25: I also hear a Db here
  • m48 beat 2.25: This sounds longer in the original track, like slightly longer than the note on beat 1.5. Maybe write it as an 8th or dotted 8th.

Latios212

Quote from: Static on July 15, 2022, 12:32:45 PMWhen writing in swing 16ths, you may want to consider splitting the sextuplets into two triplets, with a single beam connecting them, since that's how it's felt. A sextuplet is more ambiguous, but at the end of the day I suppose it's not a big deal either way.
Normally I agree, but to me the sextuplets in this piece feel more like full runs rather than how they would look like split up, since there's no other rhythm juxtaposed against them. So I'd prefer to keep them as is here!

Quote from: Static on July 15, 2022, 12:32:45 PMm18 beat 3.5: This note sounds longer to me, and there's an additional bass note on beat 4.
Removed the staccatos on beat 3.5, and added a Db on beat 4 in the left hand.

Thanks for checking! The rest of the stuff you mentioned has been fixed too. New files up :)

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Bloop

UNH!  YEAH!  LET'S GO!

-m1: Did you consider adding in those (synth-ish) brass hits on beats 2.5 and 4.5? I'm hearing something like this:
You cannot view this attachment.
-m2: This run is probably easier to play switching between R.H. and L.H. (especially for the jump to beat 4), you could add some L.H. markings or just leave it to the player to decide
-m12: I hear a low Ab on beat 3.25 in the L.H.
-m16 and 17: The bass goes down in the original in beat 3 instead of up, I think it's not too low to implement that here as well.
-m18: Maybe you could add a Gb and F on beat 1 and 3 respectively in the R.H., to add in that sus4 that's in the background? Also, the line from "day" should probably stop before the 8th notes, maybe even before the grace notes. (also LET'S GO!)
-m22: The "But don't you know" has a second voice up a third, which you could also add down a sixth if you wanna keep the melody in the upper voice.
-m31, 35 and 39: Maybe you could add some of the background voices in beats 3-4 to fill up the bar? It's a bit empty with just the bass.
-m42: The "tion" of generation is at beat 4.5 (instead of 3.75)
-m47-48: Maybe you could add some staccatos and/or accents to the chords in these bars, as well as a slur to the sextuplet at the end of m47? Also, you could move the chords in m48 one inversion higher, to emphasize the F's more that come from that run.

COME ON! THAT'S RIGHT!

Latios212

Quote from: Bloop on July 21, 2022, 06:53:01 AMUNH!  YEAH!  LET'S GO!

(also LET'S GO!)

COME ON! THAT'S RIGHT!
I love that about this song xD I did consider writing them in the sheet, but I felt they might crowd the sheet a bit more than I'd like :P

Quote from: Bloop on July 21, 2022, 06:53:01 AM-m1: Did you consider adding in those (synth-ish) brass hits on beats 2.5 and 4.5? I'm hearing something like this:
I hadn't actually, but playing around with what you suggested I'm not a huge fan of how it sounds as solo piano and would probably prefer to leave it empty.

Quote from: Bloop on July 21, 2022, 06:53:01 AM-m12: I hear a low Ab on beat 3.25 in the L.H.
Hm I'm not soo sure about this one... but I think I want to leave it as is to parallel the rest of the section which has the rhythm of 8th rest on beat 3 + eighth on beat 3.5?

Quote from: Bloop on July 21, 2022, 06:53:01 AM-m16 and 17: The bass goes down in the original in beat 3 instead of up, I think it's not too low to implement that here as well.
Ah yes I like that, the high-ness of it was bothering me a bit before :P I changed 16-17 as well as 15

Quote from: Bloop on July 21, 2022, 06:53:01 AM-m18: Maybe you could add a Gb and F on beat 1 and 3 respectively in the R.H., to add in that sus4 that's in the background? Also, the line from "day" should probably stop before the 8th notes, maybe even before the grace notes. (also LET'S GO!)
I think I'd prefer to not write in the Gb/F here though since the sus4 resolution is somewhat subtle in the background here and I'd rather draw more attention to the melody's resolution to Db. (That, and they'd be a bit low... audially and on the staff.)
Fixed the line! (Interesting question of how far it should extend... I stopped it before the grace notes since I think it looks a bit nicer even if it's not rhythmically accurate when comparing to the LH)

Quote from: Bloop on July 21, 2022, 06:53:01 AM-m22: The "But don't you know" has a second voice up a third, which you could also add down a sixth if you wanna keep the melody in the upper voice.
Ah good catch, I like that. I also wrote in the sixth for the "You" in m. 23... not 100% if it's there prominently like the previous notes but I think it fits.

Quote from: Bloop on July 21, 2022, 06:53:01 AM-m31, 35 and 39: Maybe you could add some of the background voices in beats 3-4 to fill up the bar? It's a bit empty with just the bass.
Thought about this a bit... I'm not finding something that'd be easy to pick up and insert from the background voices that exist right now. I've also playtested it a bit and it sounds not nearly as empty on actual piano compared to Finale... so I think the couple of beats rest is okay!

Quote from: Bloop on July 21, 2022, 06:53:01 AM-m42: The "tion" of generation is at beat 4.5 (instead of 3.75)
Oops, fixed!

Quote from: Bloop on July 21, 2022, 06:53:01 AM-m47-48: Maybe you could add some staccatos and/or accents to the chords in these bars, as well as a slur to the sextuplet at the end of m47? Also, you could move the chords in m48 one inversion higher, to emphasize the F's more that come from that run.
I thought about staccatos when writing it out originally, but couldn't really come up with a configuration I was satisfied with. I could put accents, but all these chords are accented... could I interest you in a dynamic change? :P I put ff at 47. I added the slur as well. For the last chords, I'd still prefer to keep them in root position just to have a more "final"/"resolved" sound.

Thanks for checking! Files updated ;D

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Bloop

Looks good! I agree with the stuff you left as well ^^

I'll accept!

Zeta