[MUL] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - "Divine Beast Vah Rudania" by Bloop

Started by Zeta, June 18, 2022, 03:27:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: The Legend of Zelda
Game: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Console: Multiplatform
Title: Divine Beast Vah Rudania
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Bloop

[attachment deleted by admin]

Bloop

it's that time again

Divine Beast Dungeon themes change depending on how many of its terminals are activated. When you enter the Divine Beast and none of the terminals are active, "Enter Divine Beast" plays (which is always my favorite part of the tracks :p). When the first terminal is activated, a new track starts playing (at 0:42 in video). With each terminal that's activated, some instruments get added, but I decided to leave those out as they don't add much new stuff to the arrangement, or appear in a similar way once all terminals are activated. In this version, the track changes to a faster-paced version in 4/4 time (at 5:15 in video).
Little note: I don't think there are official titles for the different versions within this track, so I gave them my own titles.

XiaoMigros

• I think some of the dynamics in "Enter Divine Beast" could use some position adjusting.
  • m32&49 b3 doesn't sound staccato to me.

Bloop

Fixed! I probably was a bit careless with checking the dynamics after shrinking the staff size a bit :p

Whoppybones

- I'm curious as to your decision to leave out the first few notes (a bunch of C's and G's, it sounds like) in "Enter Divine Beast" and "One Terminal Active". Would you mind explaining for me?
 - m29 b1.5, m31 b2, m33 b1.5, m34 b2, and m35 b1.5 all sound like they have a grace note before them (I think on most of them it's the C above?). For m35 it would be fine to leave out cuz the octaves, but I feel like it would be good to include them on the rest of the notes. "All Terminals Active" is also missing these same ornamentations.
 - m36 I personally disagree with having the repeat here. I feel you need at least one extra measure because I hear an En right above middle C in the chord immediately following (along with a couple of grace notes), but that En isn't in the chord on the first go.
 - m54 I feel like you could keep the 3/4 time sig for the next two measures and end with a 4/4 measure instead of a 2/4 one. If you do decide to stick with the current timing though, make sure you add in a 4/4 time sig right before the repeat.

Thus are my thoughts; I hope they help! :D

Bloop

Quote from: Whoppybones on August 24, 2022, 10:59:40 AM- I'm curious as to your decision to leave out the first few notes (a bunch of C's and G's, it sounds like) in "Enter Divine Beast" and "One Terminal Active". Would you mind explaining for me?
You mean the morse-code like beeps right? I didn't think they'd add much to the arrangement, and they quickly get drowned out by the other voices anyway.

Quote from: Whoppybones on August 24, 2022, 10:59:40 AM- m29 b1.5, m31 b2, m33 b1.5, m34 b2, and m35 b1.5 all sound like they have a grace note before them (I think on most of them it's the C above?). For m35 it would be fine to leave out cuz the octaves, but I feel like it would be good to include them on the rest of the notes. "All Terminals Active" is also missing these same ornamentations.
Hm yeah, it sounds like it's a separate flute-like instrument that accents those notes with a C-G-C run down. I did some creative stuff with grace notes and holding the G during that run down ^^

Quote from: Whoppybones on August 24, 2022, 10:59:40 AM- m36 I personally disagree with having the repeat here. I feel you need at least one extra measure because I hear an En right above middle C in the chord immediately following (along with a couple of grace notes), but that En isn't in the chord on the first go.
Good point! I left out the mordent in the flute voice though, as it's pretty uncomfortable/nearly impossible for the R.H. to play smoothly (I considered removing the bottom C in the chord, but I'd prefer leaving that in for a stronger resolution on the tonic)

Edited the time signatures at the end too, files are updated!

Static

Not too much to say, this looks very nice
  • m32/49 RH beat 3 should be legato (Xiao had mentioned this too).
  • I'm just going off the video you linked, so correct me if I'm wrong about the in-game version, but the loop point in "One Terminal Active" sounds different than what you have in the sheet. For example, it sounds like m40 goes back to m13 rather than 17. m40 itself also sounds shorter (I think it's a 3/8 bar).
  • I think I said this on your previous Divine Beast sheet, but the "One Terminal Active" section has a lot more variance in it compared to the other sections. For example, that chime you wrote in "All Terminals Active" also appears in "One Terminal Active." I understood your rationale for writing it this way last time, but I still can't help but feel the arrangement is a little incomplete. Up to you if you wanna change it though.
  • The top of page 4 looks a little cramped
  • Maybe put a louder dynamic at m50, since the decrescendo before it is in the middle this time. The percussion builds to m50, so I'd argue it should sound louder/more intense than the previous measures.

Bloop

Quote from: Static on August 27, 2022, 06:36:12 PM
  • m32/49 RH beat 3 should be legato (Xiao had mentioned this too).
Huh, I thought I had fixed that, fixed though!

• I'm just going off the video you linked, so correct me if I'm wrong about the in-game version, but the loop point in "One Terminal Active" sounds different than what you have in the sheet. For example, it sounds like m40 goes back to m13 rather than 17. m40 itself also sounds shorter (I think it's a 3/8 bar).
I think that's an error I hadn't noticed in the video. When I arranged the track, I used another video, which has been deleted in the meantime, probably because of copyright stuff. In-game the repeat happens as I have written it, and the song doesn't restart when another terminal activates.

• I think I said this on your previous Divine Beast sheet, but the "One Terminal Active" section has a lot more variance in it compared to the other sections. For example, that chime you wrote in "All Terminals Active" also appears in "One Terminal Active." I understood your rationale for writing it this way last time, but I still can't help but feel the arrangement is a little incomplete. Up to you if you wanna change it though.
[/quote]
I actually added the chime from "All Terminals Active" a while later, after I first posted the sheet in my arrangement thread. My reasoning here was that I didn't feel the need to arrange a separate "Four Terminals Active" section just to add in the chimes, when they also appear in "All Terminals Active". As for the polyrhythmic voice around 2:00 in the video, I didn't think it as enough of a variation to justify a whole new section of two pages. Both are mostly a drone-like background addition, that don't add much more melodic or harmonic information.

• Maybe put a louder dynamic at m50, since the decrescendo before it is in the middle this time. The percussion builds to m50, so I'd argue it should sound louder/more intense than the previous measures.
I don't think it necessarily gets stronger after the build-up, the percussion just goes back to its original vibe. I did add another forte between parentheses though, so it's clear it's at least not a softer dynamic.

Fixed the top of page 4 too, files updated again! Thanks for taking a look ^^

Static

Libera

Not much for me to say here really.  I think the actual soundtrack version loops as you have it here but I have no idea what it is like in-game.  I will take your word for it.

-The little flourishes in bar 2/6 etc. sound a bit more like this to me:
Spoiler
You cannot view this attachment.
[close]
It definitely sounds like it has both Bbs and Bns, and I don't really hear the Gbs.
-I'd suggest splitting the whole + quarter in bar 31/52 as dotted half + half.  I think it looks neater/more aesthetic but also matches with how you split up bar 34/55.
-Could we tidy up a few visual things like the pp in bar 6, the natural in bar 42, the brackets on the f in bar 50 and the end of the dim in bar 59?

Bloop

Quote from: Libera on August 31, 2022, 09:28:19 AM-The little flourishes in bar 2/6 etc. sound a bit more like this to me:
Spoiler
You cannot view this attachment.
[close]
It definitely sounds like it has both Bbs and Bns, and I don't really hear the Gbs.
I added the Eb's before the high A's and changed the low Bb's to Bn's, but I hear the rest as I had written it. The C-Eb-Gb at the start is a bit covered by other voices the first time around, but I can hear them in other iterations. There's a delay effect on these flourishes from which I think the last D-Bn in your version is from, but I'd rather keep the flourishes without that delay effect to keep the general contour: repeating the last two notes gives a bit too much focus on these I feel.

Everything else should be fixed though!

Libera

Zeta