[NES] Bomberman - "Stage Theme" (Replacement) by LeviR.star

Started by Zeta, June 19, 2022, 05:49:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeviR.star

Quote from: Libera on July 28, 2022, 01:40:31 AMJust to be clear, if you think something is wrong with a sheet currently on-site and the arranger is still around, you should not just submit a replacement to their sheet.  It's quite frankly, rude.  Reach out to them: it can probably be sorted out with minor edits.  I would also like to add that while I understand there is something of a language barrier, I don't appreciate the way that you have ignored Jacopo in this thread, Levi.  It is not hard to be civil.  The easiest way to navigate these slight grey areas of the submissions process is by talking to each other.

If this were anyone else's sheet, I would have felt inclined to reach out first, but Jacopo has had a history of ignoring my input on submissions, and I don't appreciate it. I also don't think it's a language barrier problem as much as a general disregard for my opinions because I'm not part of the updater team, though it's clear I'm more knowledgeable about these particular games than anyone else here. Had the on-site version been of higher quality, I'd have asked for permission to include him and his student's names in the arranger credits, but that was not the case here. Jacopo's sheets should have been given proper updater attention at the time of their submission, but instead, I feel many of them have been rushed out to meet our arbitrary quota, which probably wouldn't be happening if communication wasn't such an impeding factor. I did not anticipate having to explain myself in such detail, but here we are. I'll apply those edits to the sheets later today, Libera.
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

Static

Quote from: Libera on July 28, 2022, 01:40:31 AMDespite what Static has said, everyone's sheets are not 'fair game' for replacement; replacements should really be focused on before our quality control was tightened (i.e. ~ pre .org).
My apologies as well to Jacopo for my rather cold response here, I was genuinely under the assumption that anything could freely be replaced (though it's quite rare). This is probably because I had a few of my own sheets replaced years ago, though these were changed to edit replacements... probably what this should've been, too.

Quote from: LeviR.star on July 28, 2022, 03:25:30 AMIf this were anyone else's sheet, I would have felt inclined to reach out first, but Jacopo has had a history of ignoring my input on submissions, and I don't appreciate it. I also don't think it's a language barrier problem as much as a general disregard for my opinions because I'm not part of the updater team, though it's clear I'm more knowledgeable about these particular games than anyone else here. Had the on-site version been of higher quality, I'd have asked for permission to include him and his student's names in the arranger credits, but that was not the case here. Jacopo's sheets should have been given proper updater attention at the time of their submission, but instead, I feel many of them have been rushed out to meet our arbitrary quota, which probably wouldn't be happening if communication wasn't such an impeding factor. I did not anticipate having to explain myself in such detail, but here we are. I'll apply those edits to the sheets later today, Libera.
What you said was very rude, Levi, and disrespectful to both Jacopo and the updaters. If you take even a cursory glance through Jacopo's subs, you'll find he sometimes doesn't implement our own feedback at first either - this is very much a language barrier thing. No one is purposely ignoring your feedback. Secondly, I find it a bit pretentious for you to claim Jacopo's version was so far below your standards that you couldn't possibly contact him... especially considering you made an error in "Stage Theme" that he did not make. And thirdly, while we do try to get a decent number of subs in per update, we do not force sheets through to meet an arbitrary quota. As I'm sure you've noticed, many submissions linger around for 2-3 sub cycles (or more) based on extended feedback, arranger inactivity, etc. The reason why we left Jacopo's sheets as they were is because 1. we have (and have had) short fanfare/theme sheets already and 2. requiring an arranger to basically make a new sheet is something that should be done outside of submissions anyway. In my opinion, I think it is acceptable to have each individual theme as a separate sheet for these short OSTs. A compilation is fine as well.

LeviR.star

Quote from: Libera on July 28, 2022, 01:40:31 AM-Maybe place one of the harmony notes on beat 4 of bar 4 in title screen?  Kind of like what you do elsewhere in this piece.
-Beat 2 in bar 1 of stage theme sounds like a Dn, and this should probably be written in Bm.  This was correct on Jacopo's sheet.
-The bass in bar 1 of stage clear/ending doesn't sound like it jumps up an octave on beat 4, and the C# on beat 1 sounds like it should be an octave lower as well.
-Maybe a courtesy accidental on the C on beat 1 of bar of Game Over?  There are a lot of accidentals here so I can see someone easily misreading this.
-The bar numberings are off in Game Over.

- good call, did that
- huh, so it is. I've been hearing it wrong all these years, then, this is quite humbling
- Static and I already discussed this, I bumped up the beat 4 note so that the player can reach the C-sharp more comfortably (and yes, that second note is in the right octave.) That said, given that two updaters have already suggested I change it, I had better (not the C-sharp, though, that is correct)
- I'll assume you mean bar 2's beat 1, and add that courtesy natural. Do I need a courtesy sharp for bar 2, beat 1 RH of "Miss"?
- I think the custom numberings got adjusted when I removed the time signature change in "Miss", and I didn't notice. Fixed

Quote from: Static on July 27, 2022, 05:46:19 PMLooks good, though maybe keep the tenuto in Stage Clear, since all the other notes are staccato. Might be overlooked or played shorter than you intended

Was going to put it back until Libera's feedback, so now it won't be necessary.

Quote from: Static on July 28, 2022, 09:41:50 AMSecondly, I find it a bit pretentious for you to claim Jacopo's version was so far below your standards that you couldn't possibly contact him... especially considering you made an error in "Stage Theme" that he did not make.

Normally I'd be cheeky enough to ask why you didn't notice my error yourself, but it's a moot point and I've already admitted to my fault.

If this wasn't made clear already, the only reason I submitted this as a replacement was out of convenience, not out of spite towards Jacopo and his student. And it wouldn't have been fair of the staff to ask him to arrange the entire OST just so he can have the stage theme on the site, so I took this into my own hands. I could root through old forum messages to support the claim that my feedback has been actively ignored to meet deadlines, but I'm not that petty. All I wanted was act on what I thought was in the site's best interest, communication barrier or not. I apologize for being pretentious and rude in my previous post, but I don't believe I needed permission from anybody to submit this sheet.
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

Latios212

Quote from: LeviR.star on July 28, 2022, 01:17:56 PMI apologize for being pretentious and rude in my previous post, but I don't believe I needed permission from anybody to submit this sheet.
I think we've already run the topic of the replacement into the ground and are all on the same page that the replacement is justified, but some more courtesy would be nice in the future, so I'll not dwell on that.

About your apology - have you read your own most recent post?
Quote from: LeviR.star on July 28, 2022, 01:17:56 PMNormally I'd be cheeky enough to ask why you didn't notice my error yourself, but it's a moot point and I've already admitted to my fault.
I'd like to remind you to please keep your attitude in check... you're continuing to be snarky and disrespectful to the people who are only trying to help you.

As for this:
Quote from: LeviR.star on July 28, 2022, 03:25:30 AMJacopo's sheets should have been given proper updater attention at the time of their submission, but instead, I feel many of them have been rushed out to meet our arbitrary quota, which probably wouldn't be happening if communication wasn't such an impeding factor.
Quote from: LeviR.star on July 28, 2022, 01:17:56 PMI could root through old forum messages to support the claim that my feedback has been actively ignored to meet deadlines, but I'm not that petty.
I've mentioned to you in the past - if there's something you're dissatisfied with about the updating process, bring it up with me and the updaters to discuss instead of complaining that we're not doing our job right. I don't agree with these claims that you've made from the submissions I remember looking over lately, but perhaps I missed something. If you feel strongly about this, please DO provide us with examples where we can do better.

All that said, I don't see any reason to continue this discussion in this submission thread when the sheet's just about ready to go. Let's get this submission wrapped up and I'd be happy to take this to a private or small group discussion with the updaters elsewhere.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Libera

I'm going to refrain from commenting on the behaviour here as I believe it has escaped the scope of this thread.

Quote from: LeviR.star on July 28, 2022, 01:17:56 PM- I'll assume you mean bar 2's beat 1, and add that courtesy natural. Do I need a courtesy sharp for bar 2, beat 1 RH of "Miss"?

I don't think so.

Stage Theme should still be in Bm, not B.

LeviR.star

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Libera.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot