Series: Other
Game: Celeste: Farewell
Console: Multiplatform
Title: Futility + Reconciliation
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: gu

[attachment deleted by admin]

Libera

The notes look pretty good to me, but the presentation needs a little work.

-This the beaming you should use for bar 4:
Spoiler
You cannot view this attachment.
[close]
Notice how all of the beats (1,2,3,4) are now visible.
-There should be something distinguishing these two pieces in the sheet.  A note on the tempo marking saying 'Futility' and on the second tempo marking saying 'Reconciliation' or something like that, as well as a final barline at the end of bar 4.  You probably should also reset the bar numberings between the two pieces.
-I don't really agree with this way of writing out Reconciliation.  It's very confusing to read and given how free the rhythms, I don't see why they should be notated so precisely (and also I don't even think they're accurate).  The left hand here sounds like it is in 3 time, with the right hand melody coming in as a polyrhythm over the top.  You could write this out in two ways:
Spoiler
[close]
On the left: the LH is written using triplets and the RH stays in 4/4.  On the right: the LH is written out in 6/8 and the RH is written in tuplets.  My preference would be for the right picture, as the piece is established first without the melody so it makes more sense to write the time signature like that, but I'm not particularly bothered.
-Never ever ever use an 8 clef in piano sheet music.  Use an 8va.  It is very non-standard and incredibly easy to misread.
-On a similar note, don't use the 15ma, use clef changes instead.  What you have written is not particularly clear and non-standard (i.e. hard to read, especially on a sight read).
-The margins are kind of wacky.  Did you use the template from the formatting guidelines?
-Speaking of the formatting guidelines, I suggest going and having a read of them again.  You have things like the arranger/composer info the wrong way around, elements not aligned properly etc.

Let me know if you have any questions.

gu

Hi Libera, thanks for your corrections!
The files have been updated with the suggestions - great idea on the polyrhythms, wouldn't have thought myself - as well as other improvements.
Although I've been using the template 1.4, I didn't read the Formatting Guidelines, so I ended messing things up. I will be using them as a bible from now on.
(That said, I used the "Staff spacer up" tool in some places, and I hope it didn't scramble the margins or anything else)
One thing I wasn't able to transfer to Notepad even with MusicXML Cleaner, is the parentheses on the bass notes, to indicate a softer dynamic and I would like them to be in the final sheet. I'll be really grateful If anyone with Finale could add them for me.

Libera

-I don't think I've ever seen parentheses to indicate a soft dynamic so I wouldn't really recommend that.  I think the dynamics written in do that well enough.
-Currently the first page is getting very crowded.  The composer/arranger info is stuck up far too high and there's barely any room for the 8vas and the copyright etc.  I would suggest moving one of the systems from the first page onto the second page, as this would allow you to more visually distinguish the two pieces.  (Also, reminder that you should reset the bar numberings and use a final barline at the end of Futility.
-The 8va shouldn't be extended all the way across bars where it isn't needed i.e. cut it off in bar 21 after the RH note.

I've actually made the edits for you (alongside some other miscellaneous edits) since you are working with notepad.  Feel free to use them if you want.

gu

Libera

Bloop

Futility looks good!

For Reconciliation:
-Tempo marks in 6/8 should be based on dotted quarter notes, not normal quarter notes. So the tempo mark should be dotted quarter = 47. You could also do dotted quarter = about 47, since the whole piece is played rubato.
-All L.H. octaves that are in the bass clef should be one octave higher (so first note in m3, 5, 7, 11, 13, etc)
-m9 and 25: First L.H. octave here should be an octave lower.
-m10, 14, 26 and 30: You can write the quarter+8th rests in the R.H. here as a dotted quarter rest, if you want.
-m17-32: I hear the bottom octave in these L.H. melodies as well, like this in m17-20:
-m27: Shouldn't the first note in the R.H. here be a dotted quarter as well, like in m10?
-m31: The R.H. here is a bit rhythmically ambiguous because of the half note, it should be written like this:
or this:
In 6/8, you should always show the middle of the measure so that there's a 3+3 division, like in 4/4 with a 4+4 division. I'm guessing you didn't specifically need this note to be held for a half note, since you've used dotted quarters in the other parts of the sheet as well.

gu

Done! (almost)
It seems Notepad doesn't allow to change the tempo markings, so I couldn't replace them with dotted quarters.
For everything else, things seems to have worked out. Thank you for the help :)

Bloop

Great! I got the tempo marking for you and will now accept!

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Bloop.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot