[DELETED] [GBA] Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - "Boss Theme" (Replacement) by PSI Salted

Started by Zeta, July 08, 2022, 12:46:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Super Mario
Game: Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
Console: Game Boy Advance
Title: Boss Theme
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: PSI Salted

Replacement Information:

Links to Existing Sheet: MUS | MIDI | PDF
Replacement Type: Challenge (new arranger)

Bloop

Hi there, welcome to NSM! Usually when submitting a sheet, it's good to post a comment with a (youtube) link to the track, just to save us updaters some time looking for the right track.

A sheet gets accepted once two updaters have given their approval and acceptance respectively. I'll be your first updater for this sheet!
As for the name, we usually use vgmdb.net for official names. For Superstar Saga, however, there's not an official soundtrack, but there is a sound selection of three of the Mario & Luigi games, which does include this boss battle theme under the name "We Can't Lose!" (in the English American tab, which seems like the better one to use since it includes the English Fawful's and Cackletta's names instead of Japanese Gerakobits and Geragemona)

Here are some general formatting things that need to be fixed, before I go until much detail:
-Make sure you export the PDF from the .mus file, and note the musescore file I'm supposing you wrote it in. Edits will have to be made in the mus file as well. This is to preserve the formatting we have on all our other sheets on site. The comments I make here will be referring to the .mus file as well. It's possible you can't edit some of these suggestions in Finale Notepad (guessing you don't have the full version of Finale). If so, either I can make those edits for you, or you can join our Discord to ask someone with the @Finale Helper role to help.
-Make sure to remove the abbreviated Pno. markings (if that's possible in Notepad: if not, I or someone else with the full version of Finale can do that for you as well).
-The top staves on all pages are pretty close to the titles, so it's best to move those down a bit
-There are a few measures that unnecessarily fill up an entire system

As for some general comments on your arrangement:
-I don't think the "play one octave down" marking is that necessary, as the low G is still pretty readable when transposed an octave down. Usually, octave signs are needed once you get to four or five ledger lines.
-m17-24: These melodies sound an octave down to me. However, you should keep every 16th note in this section as is, because that's more playable for the right hand. Try both out on a piano or keyboard if you have the opportunity. Same goes for m33-40.
-m27-28 and 31-32: The F#'s here should be written as Gb's, as this is a Ebm chord voicing with an added 4th technically the whole chord is an Ab9 without the third. You'll see the chords will look similar to the ones in m25-26.