Series: Pokémon
Game: Pokémon Colosseum
Console: Nintendo GameCube
Title: Cipher Admin Battle
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Kricketune54

[attachment deleted by admin]

Kricketune54

Some things I would like second opinions on, shouldn't be too hard to update/act on

-m2 and m11-12 these RH fast notes are supposed to be the drum rolls, though they don't admittedly add that much.
-m5-6 and m9-10 RH, was a little conflicted on which of these lines should be prioritized; I personally like the 5-6 more than 9-10 but thought it would be interesting to initially present them both in the arrangement
-m17-20 RH I recognize there are some missing whole notes (chord notes) here, but I wanted to keep that top layer in the RH while still mostly representing the F and C minor chords alternating here
-m37-40 I originally had these as quarter notes but I listened closer and could tell they were triplets... given the pedal is already marked for this section, would it be better to just have the lower layer notes as quarters? Seems like a difficult combination of layers to pull off on beat 4 of m37 and m39

Bloop

ah yes, the epic battle music you can barely hear when you start the battle

Quote from: Kricketune54 on July 30, 2022, 06:42:27 PM-m2 and m11-12 these RH fast notes are supposed to be the drum rolls, though they don't admittedly add that much.
I think they're fine!

Quote from: Kricketune54 on July 30, 2022, 06:42:27 PM-m5-6 and m9-10 RH, was a little conflicted on which of these lines should be prioritized; I personally like the 5-6 more than 9-10 but thought it would be interesting to initially present them both in the arrangement
I've done this as well in my Shy Guy's Toy Box sheet, I think this is fine ^^ Makes for a more interesting structure.

Quote from: Kricketune54 on July 30, 2022, 06:42:27 PM-m17-20 RH I recognize there are some missing whole notes (chord notes) here, but I wanted to keep that top layer in the RH while still mostly representing the F and C minor chords alternating here
That's fine! The string line adds in some of the missing chord tones, so there's not harmonic information lost. However, if I may give a suggestion, you could make this part even fuller with adding the lower octave to the string line where possible, like this:
You cannot view this attachment.

Quote from: Kricketune54 on July 30, 2022, 06:42:27 PM-m37-40 I originally had these as quarter notes but I listened closer and could tell they were triplets... given the pedal is already marked for this section, would it be better to just have the lower layer notes as quarters? Seems like a difficult combination of layers to pull off on beat 4 of m37 and m39
Yeah the combination of triplets + 16ths in one hand at this tempo seems a bit ambitious.

-m6 and 10: Quarter rest in the L.H. should be one step higher
-m8: The F on beat 2 shouldn't have a staccato. Maybe you could add a slur from beat 1 to beat 2.5 to more legato-fy this?
-m9-10: R.H. should have staccatos here
-m12: I hear the snare drum roll here starting on beat 4, not 4.75
-m13: Did you consciously leave out the staccato string line during beat 1-2? If so, that's fine, since it does kinda take away the focus from the horn line.
-m29 and 31: You could consider leaving out the top note of the L.H. octaves in beat 1 and 4, so the C in beat 2.5 comes out even more clearly. I don't feel like you'll lose a lot of power, it just gets transferred to the new melody instead.
-m30 and 32: You could leave out the G on beat 1.5 in the R.H., so the G from beat 1 can ring on a bit longer
-m32: Maybe you could remove the top G in the L.H. on beat 4.5, so the G from beat 4 can ring on a bit longer. Also, it might look a bit nicer to divide the quarter rest in beat 3.5 into two 8ths.
-m34: I hear a D instead of an Eb in the R.H. on beat 4.5
-m35: I think I hear the string C-G-C motion more in the foreground than the winds C-Eb-C here. Maybe you could write something like this instead?
-m41: I don't hear the G from beat 2 tied over until beat 3, I just hear it as a quarter note.

Kricketune54

Quote from: Bloop on August 06, 2022, 03:57:15 AMah yes, the epic battle music you can barely hear when you start the battle

Yeah that Pokeball opening sound effect is a bit loud lol

QuoteI think they're fine!
I've done this as well in my Shy Guy's Toy Box sheet, I think this is fine ^^ Makes for a more interesting structure.

Okay great!

QuoteThat's fine! The string line adds in some of the missing chord tones, so there's not harmonic information lost. However, if I may give a suggestion, you could make this part even fuller with adding the lower octave to the string line where possible, like this:

Couple concerns I have: does this not deemphasize the RH chord notes, and also become too difficult?

QuoteYeah the combination of triplets + 16ths in one hand at this tempo seems a bit ambitious.
Reverted to quarters

Quote-m6 and 10: Quarter rest in the L.H. should be one step higher
-m8: The F on beat 2 shouldn't have a staccato. Maybe you could add a slur from beat 1 to beat 2.5 to more legato-fy this?
-m9-10: R.H. should have staccatos here
Fixed

Quote-m12: I hear the snare drum roll here starting on beat 4, not 4.75
Ah oops, fixed

Quote-m13: Did you consciously leave out the staccato string line during beat 1-2? If so, that's fine, since it does kinda take away the focus from the horn line.
Yes this was conscious for the exact reason you describe.

Quote-m29 and 31: You could consider leaving out the top note of the L.H. octaves in beat 1 and 4, so the C in beat 2.5 comes out even more clearly. I don't feel like you'll lose a lot of power, it just gets transferred to the new melody instead.

I think this is a very good idea! Changed to reflect
Quote-m30 and 32: You could leave out the G on beat 1.5 in the R.H., so the G from beat 1 can ring on a bit longer

Y'know not sure why I didn't already do this as this was already done in m29 and m31 :P

Quote-m32: Maybe you could remove the top G in the L.H. on beat 4.5, so the G from beat 4 can ring on a bit longer. Also, it might look a bit nicer to divide the quarter rest in beat 3.5 into two 8ths.
Hahaha as was going through feedback saw this part before reading this and thought the same thing

Quote-m34: I hear a D instead of an Eb in the R.H. on beat 4.5
I still hear an Eb, but down a full octave from what I had. I have included that D (which I can hear)

Quote-m35: I think I hear the string C-G-C motion more in the foreground than the winds C-Eb-C here. Maybe you could write something like this instead?
It's really funny I can hear one or the other depending on which one I think of (laurel yanny anyone?) lol. I think I initially gravitated towards C-Eb-C because C-G-C is sort a part of the common Cipher motif in the game and I guess I always heard this as a "boss" variation of that. But it probably is better off reflecting the more prominently heard (I guess) way

Quote-m41: I don't hear the G from beat 2 tied over until beat 3, I just hear it as a quarter note.
Okay fixed this too.  Thank you! Files updated.

Bloop

Quote from: Kricketune54 on August 15, 2022, 01:10:47 PMCouple concerns I have: does this not deemphasize the RH chord notes, and also become too difficult?
I don't think it becomes too difficult, but it's definitely a bit more difficult than before. And the R.H. chord tones do get a bit de-emphasized as well, mostly because of balance and the Eb in m18 being a little bit shorter. If you preferred keeping it as a single line, that's fine too of course, it depends on whether you want to direct more focus to the string line or to the chord tones. If you'll keep it as is now (with the octaves), though, the bottom note in m18 beat 4.5 should be a G too.

Quote from: Kricketune54 on August 15, 2022, 01:10:47 PMI think this is a very good idea! Changed to reflect
Great ^^ Maybe you could remove the top C of the L.H. octave in m32 beat 1 too, for symmetry.

Quote from: Kricketune54 on August 15, 2022, 01:10:47 PMIt's really funny I can hear one or the other depending on which one I think of (laurel yanny anyone?) lol. I think I initially gravitated towards C-Eb-C because C-G-C is sort a part of the common Cipher motif in the game and I guess I always heard this as a "boss" variation of that. But it probably is better off reflecting the more prominently heard (I guess) way
I admit it took a bit to figure it out exactly though, the orchestration makes it a bit more ambiguous, but I also assumed that it was supposed to be C-G-C because it is the Cipher motif.

Aside from those little changes, I'll approve!

Kricketune54

Quote from: Bloop on August 16, 2022, 02:19:55 AMI don't think it becomes too difficult, but it's definitely a bit more difficult than before. And the R.H. chord tones do get a bit de-emphasized as well, mostly because of balance and the Eb in m18 being a little bit shorter. If you preferred keeping it as a single line, that's fine too of course, it depends on whether you want to direct more focus to the string line or to the chord tones. If you'll keep it as is now (with the octaves), though, the bottom note in m18 beat 4.5 should be a G too.

I suppose it is good to emphasis the strings more here (thanks for catching that G mistake)

QuoteGreat ^^ Maybe you could remove the top C of the L.H. octave in m32 beat 1 too, for symmetry.
Removed
QuoteI admit it took a bit to figure it out exactly though, the orchestration makes it a bit more ambiguous, but I also assumed that it was supposed to be C-G-C because it is the Cipher motif.

I appreciate the time figuring this out. Updated!

Static

Nice sheet, fun harmonies on this one
  • m2/11 RH: It might be more appropriate to write the 32nds as grace notes since the snare plays a flam there, not an exact 32nd rhythm. I suppose it doesn't matter much either way though.
  • m16: Unless you're in compound time (like 12/8), I think it's better to avoid dotted staccato notes. In this particular case, that note sounds like it's helf for the full value so I don't think you need a staccato on it.
  • m29-32: When you have a voice crossing between hands, usually you'll see dotted lines connecting the notes, similar to here. Solid line means the same hand moves to the other staff, dotted just indicates the same voice is being written across both staves (basically acting like a phrase marking). Although sometimes people use the two interchangeably.
  • m34 beat 4.5 sounds legato instead of staccato to me
  • m35 beat 4.5: Flip the inner two ties here.
  • m39 RH: You can flatten the bottom tie here quite a bit without it touching the 2nd layer.
  • m41 RH beat 2 Layer 1: Maybe a tenuto here, or tie it to beat 3?

Kricketune54

• m2/11 RH: It might be more appropriate to write the 32nds as grace notes since the snare plays a flam there, not an exact 32nd rhythm. I suppose it doesn't matter much either way though.
    Got some clarification on Discord, updated to where grace 16ths replaced the 32nd notes and the last note is just an 8th note on the beat.

• m16: Unless you're in compound time (like 12/8), I think it's better to avoid dotted staccato notes. In this particular case, that note sounds like it's helf for the full value so I don't think you need a staccato on it.
    Oh this appears to just be a mistake. Fixed

• m29-32: When you have a voice crossing between hands, usually you'll see dotted lines connecting the notes, similar to here. Solid line means the same hand moves to the other staff, dotted just indicates the same voice is being written across both staves (basically acting like a phrase marking). Although sometimes people use the two interchangeably.

Thank you for the guidance on this I think I was initially wondering if something like that would be needed but this explanation will help in the future. Added dotted lines

• m34 beat 4.5 sounds legato instead of staccato to me
    • m35 beat 4.5: Flip the inner two ties here.
    • m39 RH: You can flatten the bottom tie here quite a bit without it touching the 2nd layer.
    • m41 RH beat 2 Layer 1: Maybe a tenuto here, or tie it to beat 3?
    [/list]
    Fixed/modified/updated.

Thank you!

Static

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Static.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot