News:

Local man invests life savings into turnips. When asked whether it was a wise decision he responded, "Eh. I'm sure someone will buy them."

Main Menu

[3DS] Fire Emblem Awakening - "Divine Decree" by Libera

Started by Zeta, August 07, 2022, 08:46:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Fire Emblem
Game: Fire Emblem Awakening
Console: Nintendo 3DS
Title: Divine Decree
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Libera

[attachment deleted by admin]

Libera

I'm open to having more harmony at the end.

Bloop

-m1-3 and 5-7: The single L.H. note on beat 1 feels a bit weak compared to the flute run+bass hit+cymbal in every odd measure, maybe changing these to octaves could add some more punch?
-m2: I don't hear the Db-Cn motion on beat 3 in either the R.H. or L.H., but I hear something like this:
You cannot view this attachment.
-m3: I hear a Bb in the R.H. on beat 3.5 in the bottom voice.
-m4: I hear an F instead of a Bb in the L.H. on beat 3.5
-m15: R.H. rhythm should just be 3 quarter notes
-m39-46: I hear something else in the sextuplet R.H. run (without 8va):
-m40: I don't hear the Cn on beat 3.5, it should just be a quarter note Bb on beat 3.
-m62: Bn on beat 1 should be Cb. Also, the dot of the An in the R.H. is a bit close to the stem.
-m64: I hear a very faint Fn on beat 2.5 in the R.H.
-m65-66: Maybe you could add the choir Db-Eb in m65 beat 3.5-m66 beat 1?
-m71 and m1: I feel like m1 is actually in a similar dynamic environment as the end of this piece (forte), but just sounds a bit emptier because it's not as legato/pedal heavy.

Libera

Thanks for the feedback!  It is much appreciated.

Quote from: Bloop on August 13, 2022, 02:32:35 AM-m4: I hear an F instead of a Bb in the L.H. on beat 3.5
-m15: R.H. rhythm should just be 3 quarter notes
-m40: I don't hear the Cn on beat 3.5, it should just be a quarter note Bb on beat 3.
-m62: Bn on beat 1 should be Cb. Also, the dot of the An in the R.H. is a bit close to the stem.
-m65-66: Maybe you could add the choir Db-Eb in m65 beat 3.5-m66 beat 1?

^ These should all be fixed.  All good ideas!  In particular, apologies for the Bn in bar 62...

Quote from: Bloop on August 13, 2022, 02:32:35 AM-m1-3 and 5-7: The single L.H. note on beat 1 feels a bit weak compared to the flute run+bass hit+cymbal in every odd measure, maybe changing these to octaves could add some more punch?
-m2: I don't hear the Db-Cn motion on beat 3 in either the R.H. or L.H., but I hear something like this:
-m3: I hear a Bb in the R.H. on beat 3.5 in the bottom voice.

I've had another pass at this whole section and added some things here and there.  I definitely hear what I wrote in for bar 2 beat 3, but I've made other changes elsewhere.  Hopefully it is better!

Quote from: Bloop on August 13, 2022, 02:32:35 AM-m39-46: I hear something else in the sextuplet R.H. run (without 8va):

Hmm I still hear what I wrote in.  The G-F alternating pattern really sticks out to me for the top notes.

Quote from: Bloop on August 13, 2022, 02:32:35 AM-m64: I hear a very faint Fn on beat 2.5 in the R.H.

I'm not sure I can hear what you're referring to.  I did add the Cb on beat 3.5 though.

Quote from: Bloop on August 13, 2022, 02:32:35 AM-m71 and m1: I feel like m1 is actually in a similar dynamic environment as the end of this piece (forte), but just sounds a bit emptier because it's not as legato/pedal heavy.

I personally feel like the opening has a lot less weight to it with a crisper(?) instrumentation that means it feels like the piece winds down going back to the beginning.  I feel like the difference in dynamics helps to achieve that feeling in the arrangement, so I'd prefer to leave it as it is.

New files should be up.

Bloop

Quote from: Libera on August 14, 2022, 04:10:04 PMI've had another pass at this whole section and added some things here and there.  I definitely hear what I wrote in for bar 2 beat 3, but I've made other changes elsewhere.  Hopefully it is better!
This works too yeah! I still doubt whether the Cn is there that prominently in m2, but I'll leave that for the next updater I guess :p

Quote from: Libera on August 14, 2022, 04:10:04 PMHmm I still hear what I wrote in.  The G-F alternating pattern really sticks out to me for the top notes.
I really hear the alternating pattern more as D-C instead though, specifically one octave above middle C.

Quote from: Libera on August 14, 2022, 04:10:04 PMI'm not sure I can hear what you're referring to.  I did add the Cb on beat 3.5 though.
I meant in the organ voice, I can hear a faint Fn on beat 2.5 before the Gb on beat 3. It could be my mind playing tricks on me too though haha.

Everything else looks good though! I'll approve either way so another updater can give a second opinion on some of these cases ^^

Latios212

Ah, just realized the submission is labeled "Divine Decree", but you linked the Ablaze version... I'm going to use the base version for comparison when checking now because...
- you were probably more likely to arrange the base version and link the wrong video rather than mis-label your sheet and submission
- subtler dynamics, focus on triplets in m. 39+ which are barely audible (or not even there?) in the Ablaze version over the lower voices, less driving bass rhythm in various places that are more apparent in the Ablaze version
- it's easier to hear what's going on

With that in mind, here's feedback! Nice job; this is very meticulously arranged.
- E in the chord in m. 26 is missing a natural
- Perhaps a bit more space between top/bottom staves in m. 29/30?
- Courtesy flat on the Cb on beat 3 of m. 31/33 LH might be helpful?
- The top voice sounds like it dips down to Eb on beat 3 of m. 40/42/44 instead of continuing to alternate G/F.
- Thoughts about having the hands move down to play chords on beat 1 of m. 41/45, similar to 39/43? I think it'd help to reinforce the bass, and percussion strikes at those places in the original to reinforce those downbeats. (That, and I can't actually seem to explicitly hear the triplets at the beginning of these two measures...)
- m. 48 shouldn't have the eighth note on beat 3.5
- Any reason why LH of m. 57 and 61 are written with two layers? It's not like the right hand would be any help in either.

In regards to Bloop's comments above, again when referencing the base version of the track:
- I hear the Cn in m. 2 as currently written
- I hear the triplets in m. 39+ as currently written (except for the few Eb's I mentioned above)
- I don't hear a prominent Cb in m. 64 beat 2.5
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Bloop

there were different versions? that explains some things lol

Libera

Quote from: Latios212 on August 28, 2022, 08:38:19 PMAh, just realized the submission is labeled "Divine Decree", but you linked the Ablaze version... I'm going to use the base version for comparison when checking now because...
- you were probably more likely to arrange the base version and link the wrong video rather than mis-label your sheet and submission
- subtler dynamics, focus on triplets in m. 39+ which are barely audible (or not even there?) in the Ablaze version over the lower voices, less driving bass rhythm in various places that are more apparent in the Ablaze version
- it's easier to hear what's going on

Quote from: Bloop on August 28, 2022, 11:53:05 PMthere were different versions? that explains some things lol

Oh no.

Sorry about that.  I must have just linked whatever the first video was that came up when I searched on youtube and didn't notice the title difference.  Very bad from me...

Quote from: Latios212 on August 28, 2022, 08:38:19 PM- E in the chord in m. 26 is missing a natural Whoops.  This one wasn't immediately obvious when listening to playback because the Eb still fits with the D# haha.
- Perhaps a bit more space between top/bottom staves in m. 29/30? Sure, I've given it a little more now.
- Courtesy flat on the Cb on beat 3 of m. 31/33 LH might be helpful? Makes sense to me!
- The top voice sounds like it dips down to Eb on beat 3 of m. 40/42/44 instead of continuing to alternate G/F. Not 100% sure for 42 but I changed it anyway because then it fits with 40/44.
- Thoughts about having the hands move down to play chords on beat 1 of m. 41/45, similar to 39/43? I think it'd help to reinforce the bass, and percussion strikes at those places in the original to reinforce those downbeats. (That, and I can't actually seem to explicitly hear the triplets at the beginning of these two measures...) Yeah that makes sense to me.  The change takes up a LOT of vertical space though so I had to readjust a bunch of things.  Hopefully it doesn't look too cramped.
- m. 48 shouldn't have the eighth note on beat 3.5 Fixed.
- Any reason why LH of m. 57 and 61 are written with two layers? It's not like the right hand would be any help in either. I think this was just left in from when I was writing it out originally by mistake.  Fixed!

Quote from: Latios212 on August 28, 2022, 08:38:19 PMNice job; this is very meticulously arranged.

Thank you!  And thank you for the meticulous feedback! :P

Files updated.  I don't know whether Bloop wants to have another glance over it with the actual audio, but I've updated the video in the OP.  The good news is that the two versions are actually very consistent, so all of the feedback Bloop gave that I implemented was correct despite the mix-up!

Latios212

Yep, the few places I cross-checked with the Ablaze version were fortunately pretty consistent :P

I think the old files are still up? But if everything above is changed that should be it from me! I'll also leave it open for a bit in case Bloop wants to peek at anything before we accept it.

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Libera

Bloop

Quote from: Latios212 on August 29, 2022, 05:19:56 AMI'll also leave it open for a bit in case Bloop wants to peek at anything before we accept it.
I think it looks good to now! The few things I wasn't sure about were just differences or hard to hear spots in the ablaze version

Latios212

Looks good! Just last thing to mention is that on page 4, I think you could reduce the space between top/bottom staves in m. 47-52 to give more space between systems. Up to you though, I'll accept whenever you're done with it!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Libera

Quote from: Latios212 on August 29, 2022, 06:37:07 AMLooks good! Just last thing to mention is that on page 4, I think you could reduce the space between top/bottom staves in m. 47-52 to give more space between systems. Up to you though, I'll accept whenever you're done with it!

I hadn't considered that.  I fiddled with it a little, but didn't want to make the gaps too small.

Thanks again, both of you.

Latios212

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Latios212.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot