News:

Want to request some new sheets? Head on over here first!

Main Menu

[SNES] Tetris Attack - "Special Ending IV" by Double_A

Started by Zeta, September 14, 2022, 12:56:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Other
Game: Tetris Attack
Console: Super Nintendo Entertainment System
Title: Special Ending IV
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Double_A

[attachment deleted by admin]

XiaoMigros

Hi! Welcome to NSM :)

When submitting a sheet, it's customary to attach either a youtube video or sound file, like so:

As for the sheet itself, here's some things that I noticed:

• I think the sheet would fit nicely with pedal markings; the LH is pedaled in the original as well, and the RH has an echoey/reverby effect that could be imitated as well. The LH could then all be written in one layer, saving me a comment on rests.
  • Generally the BPM should be given as a precise number (though there are exceptions). The text can stay, but I would change what's in the parentheses (I'm getting q=122).
  • m5 b4.5: I hear a faint B2 here
  • m8 b3: The notes I hear here (in ascending order) are A, E, A, B and E.
  • m16 b4.5: I don't hear the B
  • m19: Looks like you may have accidentally deleted the E2 at b1.5, that should be reinserted
  • m20: The E on b1 should be written in the LH
  • m24: Same comment as m8
  • m36: In the LH I hear the B on b1 as a C, and I think the rolled dyad has an extra E on top of it
  • m40: The E4 can be simplified to a whole note imo. I don't think the fermata is needed either
  • Most of your rolls could use some more horizontal space, especially the ones on downbeats
  • I'd recommend having five systems on each page, rather than 6 and 4. The individual staves could also use some more space between them, currently they look a bit cramped
  • I would recommend reading through the Formatting Guidelins to make your layout and text sizes in line with the rest of our sheets. Copying and pasting into a new template file (found on the same page) might save you some time.
  • D.S. al Fine requires a separate Fine marking somewhere in the score. Using a regular D.S. here would make more sense, as that marking implies playing until the end.

That's all from me (for now)! If you have any questions or need more help, feel free to ask :)

Double_A

I think I fixed most of the issues musically but I decided to keep the quarter rest at the end since that is when the melody voice releases in the OST. Formatting on the other hand was not nearly as simple. I actually did originally make it 5 systems on each page but converting it from Musescore into Finale must have messed that up and I just didn't notice. I did have to remake the score from the ground up in order to fix some of the font/typeface issues -- again probably as a result of converting a sheet from Musescore to Finale. I also added a dynamic marking since the Formatting Guidelines said that was now a requirement. Fortunately, the song retains the same dynamic throughout.

I appreciate the patience, although I am familiar with NSM, I am (obviously) not so familiar with the submission process. Furthermore, Finale turned out to be way more difficult to deal with than I anticipated (like why does ctrl + b not bolden text? Why is their user manual so unhelpful?). But in the end, lessons have been learned.     

XiaoMigros

Looking good! I also hear the end now as you have it, without the last beat. That said, there are a few more minor comments about the notes:
  • In m17 and m18, the LH quarter notes should be dotted, to fill the measure
  • In m20, the LH would better be written in one layer/voice.

As for the conversion from MuseScore, that's not much fun to deal with. Generally we advise people to do as much as they can on their own, but if you're using Notepad some things simply aren't possible. I would advise checking out this guide if you haven't done so already. Once you make the changes I mentioned above, I'll make the remaining formatting adjustments and talk you through what I did, for future reference :) Thanks for submitting!

Double_A

Atcero

Hey Double_A! I can see you're using v27 of finale and have the same bug as I do for the fonts when opening in any other version of Finale. To fix this, youre going to have to open and save your .musicxml in notepad first, then opening it in full finale and saving over that .mus. v27 currently doesnt offer letting us change the font from Finale Maestro to Maestro (which is the font every other version uses) which makes it hard for updaters to check our submissions. It's a pain sadly but it's what has to be done until Finale lets us change the font. If you need any help just let me know and I can walk through it more with you in depth!
Quote from: Dudeman"When Atcero and Dudeman are busy whooping Maelstrom's ass, Alfonzo mans the Spirit Train."

Spoiler
[close]

Bloop

Some feedback about the sheet (mostly note stuff in the L.H.):
-m2 (and any other time this similar measure appears): I hear A-C#-E on beat 1 (instead of E-A-E).
-m17: I hear B-F#-B on beat 1 in the L.H. (instead of E-F#-B)
-m18: I hear F#-C#-F# on beat 1 in the L.H. (instead of B-E-F#)
-m19: I hear another A below the E-A dyad on beat 1 in the L.H., and I don't hear the upper E in beat 1.5
-m32: I hear an A on beat 4.5 in the L.H. (instead of B)
-m36: The C# on beat 1.5 in the R.H. should have a natural too, and the L.H. chord on beat 2.5 should be A-Cn-E
-m40: The D.S. marking should be bold

XiaoMigros

The last point I was planning on taking care of, since I said I would overhaul the layout and stuff anyway (though rn I'm still trying to get the fonts sorted, hopefully Atcero's help will fix that).

Double_A

Quote from: Bloop on October 08, 2022, 07:39:02 AMSome feedback about the sheet (mostly note stuff in the L.H.):
-m2 (and any other time this similar measure appears): I hear A-C#-E on beat 1 (instead of E-A-E).

I don't hear what you suggested having listened to this song so many times and played along with it. I played a C# drone over the original song and it did not resonate until beat 2.5 of m2 and all the other similar measures with that A5 chord. I also played a C natural drone over the same part and there was no clash until beat 2.5 and it actually made the chord sound minor so I think it is A5/E (E-A-E). But every other point was dead on so I made those adjustments as well.

Quote from: Atcero on October 05, 2022, 11:04:56 AMTo fix this, youre going to have to open and save your .musicxml in notepad first, then opening it in full finale and saving over that .mus.

I tried this and I think it worked but I am not completely sure since I really don't know what the difference between the two music fonts is-- one of you'll that is more familiar with finale could probably tell me. But as XiaoMigros said he was gonna do an overhaul of the layout anyway so if it isn't it will get sorted out eventually. Also, I'll upload the .musx file as well just in case.

I also just used the free month trial of finale to make this arrangement since I wasn't planning on making more for this site (I just really like this song). But I think I will do more since my focus has shifted more to VGM stuff. That free trial is about to expire in a few days so it would probably be good for me to learn notepad. 

XiaoMigros

Quote from: Double_A on October 09, 2022, 01:40:02 PMI tried this and I think it worked but I am not completely sure since I really don't know what the difference between the two music fonts is-- one of you'll that is more familiar with finale could probably tell me.
Opening the .musx in both v26 and v27 of Finale gave me successful results, so it worked!
As far as I'm aware, different versions of Finale interpret music fonts in different ways, leading to some symbols simply not appearing in some versions (as was the case for me previously). Converting from MuseScore uses one of these fonts that some Finale versions don't like. To fix this, we use Notepad, based on an older Finale version, as the middleman that handles the conversion (which full Finale doesn't do). But enough with the technical stuff, as long as you follow Atcero's steps in the future this issue shouldn't come up again.

I'll be redoing the layout stuff this time around, like I promised, but if you still have full Finale for your next submission I'd recommend starting with the template file I mentioned in my first post. And if you don't have full Finale, arranger cacabish has made tools to make MuseScore conversions more in line with the Formatting Guidelines, so I would suggest reading up on that here. It may be a bit much at first but you'll get used to it pretty fast and it will save everyone a bunch of time :)

Bloop

Quote from: Double_A on October 09, 2022, 01:40:02 PMI don't hear what you suggested having listened to this song so many times and played along with it. I played a C# drone over the original song and it did not resonate until beat 2.5 of m2 and all the other similar measures with that A5 chord. I also played a C natural drone over the same part and there was no clash until beat 2.5 and it actually made the chord sound minor so I think it is A5/E (E-A-E). But every other point was dead on so I made those adjustments as well.
I can still hear it pretty clearly, but I use audiostretch on my phone to make sure what I hear is there, and there's a very distinct C# right after the A and no low E. Here's screenshots from the frequency spectrum that the app has:
Spoiler
The E chord:
You cannot view this attachment.

The A chord:
You cannot view this attachment.
[close]

XiaoMigros

I'm also with Bloop on this one, the reverb and sound composition make it a little hard to discern but I get the same result. For now I'll change it accordingly in the file I'm putting together.

XiaoMigros

Double_A

Okay, I stand corrected-- I've uploaded what will hopefully be the final version of this piece.

Bloop

Nice, I'll approve! The way submissions work here is that a second updater will also take a look at this, after which it will be uploaded to the site in the next update if the updater accepts it ^^