News:

We seem to have trapped one of the mods within the forum's code... and we're not sure how to get him out. Oh well, he'll figure it out!

Main Menu

[DELETED] [GBA] Mega Man Zero 4 - "Holy Land" by offbrandwagner

Started by Zeta, June 13, 2022, 05:35:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XiaoMigros

Quote from: offbrandwagner on June 21, 2022, 03:25:08 PMI apologise for the long delay in replying. I just finished my final assignments for the first semester of University, but I'm all free now.
No worries! Glad to hear you're available again :)

Quote from: offbrandwagner on June 21, 2022, 03:25:08 PM- m6: I added a rest, however I don't think the staccato is necessary even in representing the original track, as they don't sound staccato to me.
Two regular eighth notes works too, cool

Quote from: offbrandwagner on June 21, 2022, 03:25:08 PM- m14: I don't hear the F4 on 4.75. Which part are you referring to?
Here I meant the piano-sounding middle layer.

Quote from: offbrandwagner on June 21, 2022, 03:25:08 PM- m16: I don't think the F4 is playable
I agree it's a little tough, you can leave it out if you prefer.

Quote from: offbrandwagner on June 21, 2022, 03:25:08 PM- m22: I'm not sure what you mean by D4 on beat 3?
The middle layer plays D4 as well as A2 here, you could include the D4 in the RH.

Quote from: offbrandwagner on June 21, 2022, 03:25:08 PM- m24: I think moving the G up an octave would be awkward for the rest of the bar
Maybe if you move the D4 on b4.5 up to the RH it would be easier to play?

Quote from: offbrandwagner on June 21, 2022, 03:25:08 PM- m26: I'm not sure what you mean by "the F3 currently written at b1.75"
I think the rhythm here is different to how you have written, to me it sounds like this:
m26
You cannot view this attachment.
[close]

Quote from: offbrandwagner on June 21, 2022, 03:25:08 PM- m27: Although my original transcription of the bass on beat 3 and 4 was wrong, I disagree that the G3 on b3.5 is playable given the G3 in the upper left hand voice on b3.25
I think it would be possible since the note are being played with different hands, but I'm also fine with what's written as of now.

Quote from: offbrandwagner on June 21, 2022, 03:25:08 PM- m30: I think the D5 on b2.75 would clash with the RH
I agree, it gets in the way a little. You can either leave it out, like you have currently, or move it down an octave, which ever you prefer.

Quote from: offbrandwagner on June 21, 2022, 03:25:08 PM- m34: I think it would be better to keep the RH in the octave it is, as lowering it an octave would clash with the right hand notes and make it awkward to play
To me it seems odd to have the same instrument play in two different octaves like this, and it means that m35 is moved up an octave as well, which could otherwise be avoided. Like with m30, you could move the 3 notes in the LH down an octave, I think it would flow like that more nicely over all. Just my personal opinion though.

Quote from: offbrandwagner on June 21, 2022, 03:25:08 PMI'm having a strange problem where when finale tries to create those files they end up being unreadable and having zero bytes.
Assuming you've edited the musx file you can upload that as well for now, maybe I or someone else can take a look and get the conversion sorted.

Two more things:
  • I think you can add slurs between the notes with mordents and the ones following them.
  • How did you create your pedal markings? They are different to the ones I've seen and they don't seem to affect Finale playback.

offbrandwagner

Sorry for the delay again, I had to re-do the document from the ground up because of issues with google drive.

Thanks for your clarifications, I've made a bunch of changes in line with your suggestions.

A change of my own is in m34, in order to accommodate the RH moving down an octave I moved the last two notes of the upper left hand voice down an octave as well, and in  order to make this less awkward I changed the clef of the bar to bass, and then I also included the last note of the previous bar in this clef change to be less awkward.

As for the pedal markings, I use the ones in the articulation tool, and they do affect playback for me.

XiaoMigros

Quote from: offbrandwagner on June 25, 2022, 12:57:58 PMThanks for your clarifications, I've made a bunch of changes in line with your suggestions.
You're welcome, they look good!

Quote from: offbrandwagner on June 25, 2022, 12:57:58 PMAs for the pedal markings, I use the ones in the articulation tool, and they do affect playback for me.
That's fine too, though if you want to keep them displayed you should keep their heights consistent across systems. Alternatively, (and usually prefered), you can hide them all and write 'con pedale' at the start of the sheet.

offbrandwagner

Yep, just hid the pedal markings and added 'con pedale'. Does it look right?

XiaoMigros

Yeah, looks perfect!
  • Composer/Arranger text should be just below the subtitle.
  • m28: The slur in the RH is too round.
  • Some places look a bit squished because of accidentals, such as m17 and m19.
  • The roll in m25 should be moved left a little.
I'll follow this post up with some feedback on the strings later.

Static

Looks pretty great! Mostly just small details to add here:
  • Inti Creates and Natsume should be added in the copyright text since they developed the game. We put both developer(s) and publisher on sheets here.
  • Delete the "Pno." text on each system, you only need "Piano" on the first one. Libera had mentioned this, but it looks like they're still there.
  • Text should all be within the page margins, generally speaking. If you click on the Page Layout Tool, you'll notice that the copyright info, page numbers, and running titles all clip the margins. You can reset those by using the Text Tool, right clicking on the handle for those text boxes, selecting "Edit Frame Attributes," change H and V values to 0 under "Alignment and Positioning" ("Right Page Alignment and Positioning" for even page numbers).
  • m7 LH beat 4: The bass should be A here instead of D.
  • m18 LH beats 3-4: The bass rhythm sounds like this to me (probably leave out that E though):
  • m23 LH beat 4 should be E instead of D.
  • m25 LH beat 4: Arpeggio marking should be moved to the left so it's not touching the notes.
  • m28 LH beats 2-3: Slur is overlapping the staccato, it should end directly above it. Same goes for the slur in m29, it currently ends too far to the right of the staccato mark (that's Finale's default positioning, but it's incorrect).
  • m30 LH beat 3: Quarter rest in the lower layer should be moved down so it's not touching the note above it (it's OK if it's not lined up with the others).
  • m32 LH beats 3.5-4.5: Only beat 4.5 sounds staccato to me, not 3.5-4.
  • m17 beat 4, m20/22 beat 3 RH: The stems in the lower layer are touching or almost touching the LH notes below. You can increase the space between the staves in these systems with the Staff Tool. Click the handle that appears on the bass clef and drag down.
  • Some accidentals are touching or almost touching other notes/ties/etc., like in m17 LH, m19 RH, and m23 RH. You can use the Note Position Tool and Accidental Mover Tool to adjust the positioning of these, but be careful. If you move a note in the RH, you have to also move the same beat in the LH by the same amount, so that the beat still lines up vertically. If you have any questions about this, let me know. For m23, just flip the tie.
  • Kinda nitpicky, but your grace notes should be one value higher than you have. Single grace notes are usually written as 8th notes, pairs are 16ths, and 3+ are 32nds. It doesn't affect performance, it's more just common practice. You can leave it if you'd rather do that.
  • I'm a bit on the fence on the intersecting stems in places like m19 RH or m23 RH. It does reduce clutter though while still being readable, so I'm fine with it.

Static

Libera

I'm going to archive this one for inactivity.  Feel free to resubmit it when you've had the chance to make the changes!