Series: Mario Kart
Game: Mario Kart 64
Console: Nintendo 64
Title: Banshee Boardwalk
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Bloop

[attachment deleted by admin]

Bloop

This was a fun challenge to try and make work as a piano arrangement. The marimba parts aren't fully transcribed, but approached with a sort of polyrhythmic/phasing figure. Would've worked for the Halloween update too, but I think this might need more time, so I'll put it in submissions instead.

Kricketune54

Honestly, hats off on continuing your streak of picking very unorthodox pieces and making them into piano sheets that sound right. Boardwalk's beat was always hard for me to zone in on in game but it was nice to get it a feel for it more with this sheet

Formatting/Document
-Pretty minor observations The first system is high and could be lowered, and the m5 system could be widened between the staffs to give the cresc. a little more breathing room
-Another minor bit - could adjust slur on m20 RH so it isn't so close to the DC
-Copyright date says 2007

Notes
-What notes does the LH part in the first four represent? I guess I didn't notice anything other than that low warbling marimba/wind sound as being what that represents. Did you choose the octaves you did though so m13 LH is the first "low" section?
-I see why the LH marimba from m5 on was not fully transcribed given the fast jumps at the end of that rhythm
-m13 LH I don't hear the G ever go to G#, it sounds more like it holds as G to contrast the upper G# before it moves to C in m14.
-m17 LH similarly I don't hear the note go to F#, but staying at Fn
-m20 LH I doubt it's tenable with the current upper layer, but if you use a tool to pitch up this part you will hear a lower layer quarter note triplet movement of Eb-Db-C descend to the C on beat 3. This as opposed to G half note on beats 1-2. Up to you I guess but I don't hear a G

Bloop

Quote from: Kricketune54 on December 05, 2022, 08:12:07 AM-Pretty minor observations The first system is high and could be lowered, and the m5 system could be widened between the staffs to give the cresc. a little more breathing room
-Another minor bit - could adjust slur on m20 RH so it isn't so close to the DC
-Copyright date says 2007
Fixed all those!

Quote from: Kricketune54 on December 05, 2022, 08:12:07 AM-What notes does the LH part in the first four represent? I guess I didn't notice anything other than that low warbling marimba/wind sound as being what that represents. Did you choose the octaves you did though so m13 LH is the first "low" section?
oh boy time to try to remember what i did months ago lol
There's two marimba parts panned to the left that seem to be switching between D and E and G and A. The G-A part is a bit hard for me to hear though, and definitely hard to play together with the D-E part, so I just used the A of that instead.

Quote from: Kricketune54 on December 05, 2022, 08:12:07 AM-m13 LH I don't hear the G ever go to G#, it sounds more like it holds as G to contrast the upper G# before it moves to C in m14.
-m17 LH similarly I don't hear the note go to F#, but staying at Fn
Good point! It kinda sounds like it's going up but also not really. During the Mario Kart Wii project I did with Xiao, I noticed this part was actually based on this track from Super Mario Kart, which has the same amount of notes too.

Quote from: Kricketune54 on December 05, 2022, 08:12:07 AM-m20 LH I doubt it's tenable with the current upper layer, but if you use a tool to pitch up this part you will hear a lower layer quarter note triplet movement of Eb-Db-C descend to the C on beat 3. This as opposed to G half note on beats 1-2. Up to you I guess but I don't hear a G
Fixed that too! The upper layer just plays whenever there's space to play, so since there's less space, there's just no upper layer now :p

Files updated!

Libera

Honestly, as surprised as I am by this, I don't really have anything to say about this sheet.  It's pretty weird, but everything here makes sense to me.

The only thing I would say is that I think the performance note would look a lot better at the bottom of the page, rather than visually breaking up the music between the systems.  Also, 'should be played' reads a lot better than 'are played' in the first line of the note.

Bloop

Libera

I thought this was just off in the musx because of finale, but the hairpin in the final bar ends awfully close to the pedal marking.

I won't hold off my approval for that though, everything else looks good!

Latios212

Ah man, what a fun time it is to review a weird sheet like this done correctly (if not, it'd be a nightmare...)

As a quick aside, I never really listened too closely to this track, but it reminds me a lot of the original Dungeon theme from Zelda. The right hand arpeggios and left hand melodies are quite similar structurally!

Anyway, just a few small purely visual things to suggest before I accept, these are present in the PDF and also the .musx I'm opening:
- I'd suggest writing "bar 5" or "measure 5" instead of "m5" in the performance note, you have room
- Mind poking the mf's over in m. 13 so they're not suuuuuper close to the note stems?
- The ped. marking in m. 19 is a bit far off to the left and not centered within the parentheses (same with centering in m. 15 too)
- The dim. hairpin at the end is touching the pedal release making
- The D.C. is flung allll the way to the side at the end
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Libera

Bloop asked me if I could make these edits since they aren't able to use Finale at the moment.

I also fixed a few other miscellaneous formatting things while I was there, like fixing some collisions, wording etc.

Files updated!

Latios212

Cool, the changes look good to me so I'll accept! Thanks!
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Latios212.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot