BDS' Halloween Sheet - [PC] Spooky's Jump Scare Mansion - "We Have the Beef"

Started by BlackDragonSlayer, September 30, 2022, 10:43:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlackDragonSlayer

And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

Bloop

-The very low bass voice goes Bb-F-Ab-Cb, but the low Ab isn't on a standard piano. You could make it An with an asterisk to a text box saying "should be Ab if you have the option"
-I don't think you really need a key signature, since the piece is pretty polytonal: the very low bass and the middle voice are in Bb minor, and the very high voice in C major with a Bb thrown in. Having flats before the notes that need them is a bit more intuitive in that case, instead of having naturals before some notes that don't need them. If you prefer having a key signature though, it should be Bb minor (5 flats).
-In m1-8 and 17-29, you don't really need the 8va for the R.H., since it's very easily readable in its normal octave (like m9-16)
-For m9-16, I usually prefer having shorter repeats written out if they don't necessarily save a page. However, you could also double down on the repeats and have m1-4 repeated, m9-12 repeated with "play 4 times" written above it, m17-20 repeated, and have the last four bars written out, so it all fits on one page instead.
-Maybe you could add a "D.C." marking at the end, since the song repeats in-game as well.

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: Bloop on October 05, 2022, 07:31:23 AM-The very low bass voice goes Bb-F-Ab-Cb, but the low Ab isn't on a standard piano. You could make it An with an asterisk to a text box saying "should be Ab if you have the option"
Well that would certainly make it difficult to play :P What's the standard procedure for that? Do I just put an asterisk next to the first one and have the text below the measure, or should I put asterisks by all of the notes and have the text somewhere else (also, what font size?)

Quote-I don't think you really need a key signature, since the piece is pretty polytonal: the very low bass and the middle voice are in Bb minor, and the very high voice in C major with a Bb thrown in. Having flats before the notes that need them is a bit more intuitive in that case, instead of having naturals before some notes that don't need them. If you prefer having a key signature though, it should be Bb minor (5 flats).
I originally had it without a key signature, but Xiao suggested the current one. I'm fine changing it back.

Quote-In m1-8 and 17-29, you don't really need the 8va for the R.H., since it's very easily readable in its normal octave (like m9-16)
Makes sense, I'll do that.

Quote-For m9-16, I usually prefer having shorter repeats written out if they don't necessarily save a page. However, you could also double down on the repeats and have m1-4 repeated, m9-12 repeated with "play 4 times" written above it, m17-20 repeated, and have the last four bars written out, so it all fits on one page instead.
As a matter of personal preference, I usually try to avoid "play x times", so I'll probably try to use repeats for measures 1-4 and 17-20. Since the final part of the song is basically identical to the first except for the very end I could always use D.C. al Coda?

Quote-Maybe you could add a "D.C." marking at the end, since the song repeats in-game as well.
That's true. The version from the soundtrack (the video I posted) does have a definite end, but in-game the song just loops (presumably after m16). Would you suggest just scrapping the final part (m17 and onward) and putting D.C. at the end to more accurately reflect the in-game version?

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

Bloop

Quote from: BlackDragonSlayer on October 05, 2022, 06:46:11 PMWell that would certainly make it difficult to play :P What's the standard procedure for that? Do I just put an asterisk next to the first one and have the text below the measure, or should I put asterisks by all of the notes and have the text somewhere else (also, what font size?)
I'd say put an asterisk at the first An, and have a text box somewhere else that says that all low bass clef An's should be Ab's if possible. You can use font size 12 for the text box ^^

Quote from: BlackDragonSlayer on October 05, 2022, 06:46:11 PMThat's true. The version from the soundtrack (the video I posted) does have a definite end, but in-game the song just loops (presumably after m16). Would you suggest just scrapping the final part (m17 and onward) and putting D.C. at the end to more accurately reflect the in-game version?
I actually checked a video of the gameplay and found that it just repeats the soundtrack version, including the extra measure break.

Quote from: BlackDragonSlayer on October 05, 2022, 06:46:11 PMAs a matter of personal preference, I usually try to avoid "play x times", so I'll probably try to use repeats for measures 1-4 and 17-20. Since the final part of the song is basically identical to the first except for the very end I could always use D.C. al Coda?
In that case I think it might still be better to just write it all out without repeats instead, because the D.C. al Coda just adds more complexity to the repeat scheme.

BlackDragonSlayer

I updated the sheet in the Dropbox with all the changes; let me know if I missed anything! ;D

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

Bloop

Nice! I edited the placement of the 8va's a little bit, so that the 8 starts before the first note, the ending bracket doesn't extend too far from the last note, and the lines aren't too close to the notes. I also changed the 8va below the L.H. to say "8vb" instead, which is something that you can only edit in Finale (and which is something that isn't default for some unknown reason). I'll approve!
You cannot view this attachment.

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: Bloop on October 08, 2022, 03:29:27 AMNice! I edited the placement of the 8va's a little bit, so that the 8 starts before the first note, the ending bracket doesn't extend too far from the last note, and the lines aren't too close to the notes. I also changed the 8va below the L.H. to say "8vb" instead, which is something that you can only edit in Finale (and which is something that isn't default for some unknown reason). I'll approve!
You cannot view this attachment.
Thank you!!! :D And yeah, I'm re-learning the unfortunate limitations of Finale Notepad.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

XiaoMigros

Quote from: Bloop on October 08, 2022, 03:29:27 AMI also changed the 8va below the L.H. to say "8vb" instead, which is something that you can only edit in Finale (and which is something that isn't default for some unknown reason).
8vb is not standard notation, actually (nor is it mentioned in Behind Bars). It's something I've only seen in modern western european sheets, and nowhere else. Personally I love it and use it all the time but it doesn't really exist or something

Bloop

Quote from: XiaoMigros on October 13, 2022, 03:22:01 AM8vb is not standard notation, actually (nor is it mentioned in Behind Bars). It's something I've only seen in modern western european sheets, and nowhere else. Personally I love it and use it all the time but it doesn't really exist or something
That's true, but 8va as a superscript isn't correct notation either for octave down, it should then be 8va subscript. 8vb was actually the standard Finale used a while back (I think before the .musx), but it was changed to this instead.

Static

Everything looks pretty great to me.

I was thinking of maybe including the low LH notes on beat 1 of m9, etc. The jumps required to pull this off would be feasible at this tempo, but then the part sounds a bit too jumpy. I'm fine with how you've written it out though, so I'll accept