Series: Golden Sun
Game: Golden Sun
Console: Game Boy Advance
Title: Saturos and Menardi
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Fantastic Ike

Replacement Information:

Links to Existing Sheet: MUS | MIDI | PDF
Replacement Type: Challenge (new arranger)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Fantastic Ike

Believe track should be renamed to "Saturos and Menardi," but there's no official source. Best estimation I have is that most videos on YouTube drop "Theme" from the name. Not a super difficult or long sheet; I think changing the time signature to a double time 6/4 works much better for readability than the terribly-beamed metric modulation in the original

Fantastic Ike

Interesting update to the naming saga - again, no official source, but KHInsider lists the track as "Villain Theme" instead of the more ubiquitous "Saturos and Menardi" across most YouTube videos. Again, dunno what we're going to use as an official source but better than nothing I suppose. Also of note: the video I linked at the beginning is apparently from Golden Sun: The Lost Age (the sequel to this game), but save for slightly different drum hits this track seems to be identical between both versions. (And for both original and sequel the track is listed as "Villain Theme" on KHInsider.)

Shame such a great soundtrack has so much ambiguity to it.

Bloop

Sorry for the wait on this one!

There are a few arrangement albums (this and this) that do use "Saturos and Menardi" as the official or original title. I'm guessing that this would be clearer for a player to look for or recognize, rather than "Villain Theme", but I haven't played the game :p I'll change it to "Saturos and Menardi" if you prefer that too!

Anyway, as for feedback:
-m2, 6, 20 and 24: I'm doubting a bit if the E#'s and B#'s are better written as Fn and Cn instead. Chromatically, E# makes sense, but considering the chord, Fn makes sense (it's a kinda quartal chord on G, like G-C-F). It also looks a bit more intuitive in m20 (the B-E here should've been B#-E#) because of the B and Cn in the R.H., and in 24 because of the En in the bottom of the L.H.
-m4: The R.H. has some different notes in the triplets, and the second triplet in the L.H. should have its stems flipped:
You cannot view this attachment.
This allows you to move up the 8va line up a bit too. The 8va should actually also say "8vb", but that isn't editable in notepad. Maybe you can copy it over from this file?
-m9: The drum beat suggest more of a 2+2+2 division rather than 3+3 (the 2 quarter note are also the same length as the single quarter note m1-8). The beaming should be like this for R.H. and L.H. (wherever this applies)
You cannot view this attachment.
The dotted halves in the R.H. are fine, because they function as a polyrhythm. You could decide to change the time signature to 3/2 too instead of 6/4, because I feel the beats more in half notes instead of quarter notes, like the metric modulation would suggest .
-m18: The D-Gn dyad in the L.H. should start an 8th earlier, on beat 4. The upper layer rhythm in the L.H. should then be whole note + half note.

Fantastic Ike

I personally prefer "Saturos and Menardi" but I haven't played the game either so your guess is as good as mine. But yeah I think it'd be better than just "Villain Theme" lol

Everything else should be fixed I think.

Bloop

The L.H. in m22 should be the same as in m18, but aside from that everything looks good! I edited the name for you too.

Fantastic Ike

Bloop

Libera

Generally this looks pretty good, just a few small things from me.

-I actually feel like the rhythm for the RH of bar 18 should just be like the other bars, with the D coming in slightly early on beat 2.5 of the bar (a quarter earlier).
-Not a requirement, but I might put a double barline at the double time.

Quote from: Bloop on November 27, 2022, 07:47:44 AMThe 8va should actually also say "8vb", but that isn't editable in notepad.

Not really an issue, but just for future reference: 8vb is a totally modern invention.  8va written below the staff means play an octave lower, written above means play an octave higher, so how this was presumably written before I got here was probably perfectly fine.  Some people prefer 8vb for whatever reason, but I don't use it in my sheets.

Fantastic Ike

Okay, should be updated!

QuoteNot really an issue, but just for future reference: 8vb is a totally modern invention.  8va written below the staff means play an octave lower, written above means play an octave higher, so how this was presumably written before I got here was probably perfectly fine.  Some people prefer 8vb for whatever reason, but I don't use it in my sheets.

And good to know.

Libera

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Libera.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot