News:

Local man invests life savings into turnips. When asked whether it was a wise decision he responded, "Eh. I'm sure someone will buy them."

Main Menu

XiaoMigros' Halloween sheet: [PC] Undertale - Spider Dance

Started by XiaoMigros, October 13, 2022, 02:18:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

XiaoMigros

Almost done arranging the missing Undertale stuff- here's one that fits the theme!

Playability obviously may be an issue here but I tried to omit stuff when it didn't compromise the overall sound too much, but if anyone has some improvement suggestions I am open to hearing them :)

XiaoMigros

Bloop

-m1-2 and 5-6: Playability is definitely still an issue in the R.H. in m1-2 and L.H. in m5-6, as it's pretty hard to play dyads at this speed. Maybe a good rule of thumb is that most players probably can play up to 2, maybe 3 dyads after each other quickly, but it very much depends on context and trying stuff out. I think something like this is a bit more doable:
You cannot view this attachment.
I think you can copy this over to the L.H. in m5-6 too, but the L.H. is by default a bit harder to play, especially in beat 4 of m5: you might wanna remove the Fb there too
-m8 and 9: Is there a specific reason you didn't add the slur in these measures like in m4?
-m14: It seems a bit contradictory, but it's actually easier to play the R.H. F on beat 1.75 an octave down. The R.H. is in a great position from beat 1.5 to play the F there, and has to do a jump that's not necessarily easy, but still doable for an experienced pianist. Jumping from beat 1.5 to 1.75 is a bit uncomfortable though, and the repeated F on beat 2 doesn't make the connection to beat 2 easier.
-m18-19: Maybe you could emphasize the melody notes on every x'th or x.5th beat with an accent, or slurring the sixteenths to the x.25th or x.75th beat, or staccato-ing every x.25th or x.75th beat?
-m19: I hear a G in the L.H. on beat 3.75
-You actually have space to not need the D.S. al Coda, if you do 5 systems per page on page 3 and 4. I may actually suggest to write it out anyway, so you have some freedom to tone down on dynamics or octave doublings in the R.H., since the second time around the second voice disappears in m16 and the drums pull out in m17.
-m26-27: I think I'd suggest leaving out the top voice in beat 4 and in m27 the first 16th of beat 1 for playability.
-m30-35: More playability suggestions for the L.H.: The same thing about leaving out the top voice in beat 4 (in m30, 31, 34 and 35), and I think any repeated bass note (like beat 3.75 in m30 or beats 1.75, 2.75 and 3.75 in m31) will require too much focus from the pianist, despite it being a delay-effect note.
-m37: Maybe you could move the grace notes + beat 4 dyad to the L.H., so the R.H. can keep on trilling for a little bit longer?

XiaoMigros

Quote from: Bloop on October 16, 2022, 03:17:43 AM-m1-2 and 5-6: Playability is definitely still an issue in the R.H. in m1-2 and L.H. in m5-6, as it's pretty hard to play dyads at this speed.
Tried playing this and reached the same conclusions

Quote from: Bloop on October 16, 2022, 03:17:43 AM-m8 and 9: Is there a specific reason you didn't add the slur in these measures like in m4?
Nope!

Quote from: Bloop on October 16, 2022, 03:17:43 AM-m14: It seems a bit contradictory, but it's actually easier to play the R.H. F on beat 1.75 an octave down.
Just realised that I played b1.5 with fingers 1 2 and 3, which probably isn't feasible for most people. Fixed!

Quote from: Bloop on October 16, 2022, 03:17:43 AM-m18-19: Maybe you could emphasize the melody notes on every x'th or x.5th beat with an accent, or slurring the sixteenths to the x.25th or x.75th beat, or staccato-ing every x.25th or x.75th beat?
I like the slurring idea a lot, added it to m21 as well though the effect is slightly less noticeable there

Quote from: Bloop on October 16, 2022, 03:17:43 AM-m19: I hear a G in the L.H. on beat 3.75
Gonna blame this on an accidental drag

Quote from: Bloop on October 16, 2022, 03:17:43 AM-You actually have space to not need the D.S. al Coda, if you do 5 systems per page on page 3 and 4. I may actually suggest to write it out anyway, so you have some freedom to tone down on dynamics or octave doublings in the R.H., since the second time around the second voice disappears in m16 and the drums pull out in m17.
I figured this might show up, so in that case I'll change it :p I left the section in mf since I think that covers the decrease in intensity well enough

Quote from: Bloop on October 16, 2022, 03:17:43 AM-m26-27: I think I'd suggest leaving out the top voice in beat 4 and in m27 the first 16th of beat 1 for playability.
At this speed that makes sense, I was just a little uncertain how much could be left out

Quote from: Bloop on October 16, 2022, 03:17:43 AM-m30-35: More playability suggestions for the L.H.: The same thing about leaving out the top voice in beat 4 (in m30, 31, 34 and 35), and I think any repeated bass note (like beat 3.75 in m30 or beats 1.75, 2.75 and 3.75 in m31) will require too much focus from the pianist, despite it being a delay-effect note.
I'm not sure if having (new) m37 as crowded as it is still makes sense then, I'll remove beats 1-3 of the upper voice if that's ok

Quote from: Bloop on October 16, 2022, 03:17:43 AM-m37: Maybe you could move the grace notes + beat 4 dyad to the L.H., so the R.H. can keep on trilling for a little bit longer?
This makes the jump to m1 a little harder but sustaining the notes for their full length isn't really that important here so it works. Changed!

Thanks for your time :)

Bloop

Quote from: XiaoMigros on October 16, 2022, 05:25:35 AMI'm not sure if having (new) m37 as crowded as it is still makes sense then, I'll remove beats 1-3 of the upper voice if that's ok
That's possible yeah, it's a hard section but not as hard as some previous parts that I suggested changing.

There's currently a staccato on a 16th rest in m31 beat 1, but aside from that it looks good!

EDIT: Also, you might wanna move up the quarter rest in m31, 34 and 38 on beat 4, since it's touching the note below.

XiaoMigros

Quote from: Bloop on October 16, 2022, 06:08:54 AMThat's possible yeah, it's a hard section but not as hard as some previous parts that I suggested changing.
Personally I think it's best removed (and also means the whole section could be written in one layer, what do you think?)

Quote from: Bloop on October 16, 2022, 06:08:54 AMThere's currently a staccato on a 16th rest in m31 beat 1, but aside from that it looks good!
So I did forget to remove it..

Bloop

You mean the whole of m34-40 or just m37? I'd prefer it in two layers, since the second layer has a different articulation than the first layer, but in m37 you could remove the half and quarter rest and change beat 1-3 as if it was one layer.

XiaoMigros

I meant m34-40 because it would be similar as to how I did m10-17 but you're right the articulation does clash in some places, so I'll leave it as is.

Bloop

Alrighty, then I'll approve!
You cannot view this attachment.

XiaoMigros

I'm also open to any ideas for fun tempo marking texts since I haven't made it this far in the game yet but I think it might be cool to add one

Static

Nice sheet, not much to say really
  • m1/5: The Fbs here (beat 4.25) should be Ens instead. These are short little C7(b9) chords.
  • m21 LH beat 2: This should be two 16ths instead of an 8th.
  • m30/32/34/38 LH beat 4: What you have is technically correct so I won't ask you to change it, but sometimes considering readability is more helpful for a performer than using the "correct" accidentals. Usually in chromatic passages I like to simplify the accidentals as much as possible, though for chords and voice-leading I'll use double accidentals when needed. This is a small part so it's probably not a big deal either way, but it's something to consider.

XiaoMigros

Quote from: Static on October 26, 2022, 04:02:19 PM
    • m1/5: The Fbs here (beat 4.25) should be Ens instead. These are short little C7(b9) chords.
    I noticed that a few days ago and fixed it, but maybe the file didn't upload properly or something

• m21 LH beat 2: This should be two 16ths instead of an 8th.
    fixed

• m30/32/34/38 LH beat 4: What you have is technically correct so I won't ask you to change it, but sometimes considering readability is more helpful for a performer than using the "correct" accidentals. Usually in chromatic passages I like to simplify the accidentals as much as possible, though for chords and voice-leading I'll use double accidentals when needed. This is a small part so it's probably not a big deal either way, but it's something to consider.
    I was kinda back and forth on this for a while, because as you said both are correct. Personally I found it easier to follow as I have it right now, as the movements are pretty clear and it saves on number of accidentals, but do you think using naturals would make it clearer for others?[/list][/list]

Static

Quote from: XiaoMigros on October 28, 2022, 05:18:22 AMI was kinda back and forth on this for a while, because as you said both are correct. Personally I found it easier to follow as I have it right now, as the movements are pretty clear and it saves on number of accidentals, but do you think using naturals would make it clearer for others?[/list][/list]
      Yeah I think it looks fine either way. The rest of the changes look good so I shall accept