Series: Pokémon
Game: Pokémon Colosseum
Console: Nintendo GameCube
Title: The Under
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Kricketune54

Replacement Information:

Links to Existing Sheet: MUS | MIDI | PDF
Replacement Type: Challenge (new arranger)

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]

Kricketune54

Can't stop, won't stop (submitting Pokémon Colosseum sheets to the site)

fr fr this sheet I'm replacing is a bit personal for me. I think it was the first I ever printed off of NinSheetMusic quite a long time ago (over 7 years ago) because I wanted to play a video game song my brother would recognize on the piano, and he had always really liked The Under location from Pokémon Colosseum.
Spoiler
[close]
I still have the taped together print out that my Mom made me from back in high school lol featuring terrible male handwriting. While I never quite could play the whole thing beginning to end, it was always a fun sheet to practice recognizable parts of
Spoiler
[close]

Anyways though, I originally just wanted to modify the original, but when the rules were made clear you had to contact the original submitters for permission, I decided to go with a full replacement because I know at least one of the arrangers hasn't been on here in well over a decade.  But I'd like to thank both GreekGeek and Brassman388 for their sheet inspiring me to get back into piano back then, and probably inadvertently leading me to being the arranger I am today!

I probably won't be doing anymore replacements for this game as the other two remaining arrangements that are on the sheet audit only need formatting updates.

XiaoMigros

• It's allowed (and encouraged) to spell Gb as F# when it leads into Gn (unless you're already using Gb). The bass in m16-19, as well as some of the RH in m20-27 can be changed as well. I think the Bns in m22, 23, and 26 should be written as Cb as well.
  • Slurs on grace notes? It's not strictly necessary but I think it's strongly encouraged. You could also consider writing some parts of m24-25 with grace notes a well.
Solid sheet, nice that you are replacing something you have a special connection to :)

Kricketune54

Quote from: XiaoMigros on November 04, 2022, 07:27:10 AM
  • It's allowed (and encouraged) to spell Gb as F# when it leads into Gn (unless you're already using Gb). The bass in m16-19, as well as some of the RH in m20-27 can be changed as well. I think the Bns in m22, 23, and 26 should be written as Cb as well.
I think I've fixed the ones this applied to.

• Slurs on grace notes? It's not strictly necessary but I think it's strongly encouraged. You could also consider writing some parts of m24-25 with grace notes a well.
Ugh. I wish this was like a rule you could set in Finale because I forget to do this with like 90% of my subs. Fixed
[/list]
QuoteSolid sheet, nice that you are replacing something you have a special connection to :)
Yeah I was a little tepid about replacing it because I kinda wish there was a way to leave a digital marker for the work of others come before lol but the original is a sheet in need of improvement/modernization

Thanks for the look! Files updated

XiaoMigros

Quote from: Kricketune54 on November 05, 2022, 06:59:37 PMI think I've fixed the ones this applied to.
I think writing m26 with Gb like m22 would be better, but the rest looks good!

Kricketune54

Bloop

j a z z

-m4 and 8: You could add a courtesy accidental to the Eb in the R.H., since it comes after the En, though it's not as necessary
-m6: The jump from the R.H. C up to the En in m7 is quite big and fast: you could consider writing the C on beat 3.5 as a dotted quarter instead, or maybe writing the note on beat 4.5 as a smaller note with parentheses.
-m9: This measure shouldn't be here, it goes to m10 immediately after m8. I'll use the original measure count for now though.
-m12: Maybe you could add p or mp here as a dynamic marking?
-m19: Same thing as in m6 but upside down, the jump from the high C down to m20 is quite big and fast: I'd suggest just either removing or shrinking-and-parenthesizing the last R.H. note.
-m23: You could add a staccato on every off-beat 8th, and/or add slurs from the 8th before the staccato'd notes to the staccato'd notes.
-m24: Maybe you could try adding some notes in the R.H. on beat 1 to imitate the brass hit?
-m25: I hear Eb's above the R.H. in beat 2.5 and 3.5
-m27: You could try to add some (octave transposed) harmony of the second piano line in this measure, so it's not just a single-note line.
-m32: I think you can add a D in the middle of the L.H. dyad in beat 1

Kricketune54

Quote-m4 and 8: You could add a courtesy accidental to the Eb in the R.H., since it comes after the En, though it's not as necessary
Added!
Quote-m6: The jump from the R.H. C up to the En in m7 is quite big and fast: you could consider writing the C on beat 3.5 as a dotted quarter instead, or maybe writing the note on beat 4.5 as a smaller note with parentheses.
Honestly don't have an issue with this when I tried myself, but I also have somewhat long arms. I have done your parentheses suggestion
Quote-m9: This measure shouldn't be here, it goes to m10 immediately after m8. I'll use the original measure count for now though.
Wow not sure how I missed that one. I've made some additional changes to the spacing with one fewer measure now in the arrangement
Quote-m12: Maybe you could add p or mp here as a dynamic marking?
Added mp idk I think p too soft
Quote-m19: Same thing as in m6 but upside down, the jump from the high C down to m20 is quite big and fast: I'd suggest just either removing or shrinking-and-parenthesizing the last R.H. note.
I'll handle this the same way as before
Quote-m23: You could add a staccato on every off-beat 8th, and/or add slurs from the 8th before the staccato'd notes to the staccato'd notes.
I added staccatos on the offbeats as well as the slurs
Quote-m24: Maybe you could try adding some notes in the R.H. on beat 1 to imitate the brass hit?
Added some notes, though it certainly makes this a bit tougher, and I'm not 100% on if there's actually more than two C's and an A
Quote-m25: I hear Eb's above the R.H. in beat 2.5 and 3.5
added
Quote-m27: You could try to add some (octave transposed) harmony of the second piano line in this measure, so it's not just a single-note line.
Yeah I had this originally, though I didn't like it too much. I've readded some stuff for this measure but do let me know if you have better ideas.
Quote-m32: I think you can add a D in the middle of the L.H. dyad in beat 1
Good addition, brings out the D more

Updated thanks! One small ask for m24: is the the 8th note and triplet correct to be tied like that?

Bloop

Quote from: Kricketune54 on November 28, 2022, 10:26:51 AMI think p too soft
heh

Quote from: Kricketune54 on November 28, 2022, 10:26:51 AMI added staccatos on the offbeats as well as the slurs
The staccato's are on the wrong notes, though I thought the first half of m22 had more connected notes than it actually has. On closer inspection I hear something like this:
You cannot view this attachment.

Quote from: Kricketune54 on November 28, 2022, 10:26:51 AMOne small ask for m24: is the the 8th note and triplet correct to be tied like that?
Yep!

Everything else looks good!

XiaoMigros

Quote from: Bloop on November 30, 2022, 05:33:59 AMOn closer inspection I hear something like this:
I would flip the grace note slur to avoid clashing with the other one

Kricketune54

Quote from: Bloop on November 30, 2022, 05:33:59 AMheh

QuoteThe staccato's are on the wrong notes, though I thought the first half of m22 had more connected notes than it actually has. On closer inspection I hear something like this:
Oh got it, I have fixed this and flipped the slur on the grace note (thank you Xiao)

Bloop

Oh yeah, a few tiny things I noticed regarding the grace note related stuff:
-m20 and 22: The beams of the 8th notes should be connected between beat 3.5 and 4. I forgot to fix this in my own screenshot as well, sorry 'bout that!
-In m22, you still have the slur un-flipped. I think it's actually supposed to go under anyway actually, not sure why Finale defaulted to that in my screenshot.

Kricketune54

Quote from: Bloop on December 01, 2022, 12:41:03 PMOh yeah, a few tiny things I noticed regarding the grace note related stuff:
-m20 and 22: The beams of the 8th notes should be connected between beat 3.5 and 4. I forgot to fix this in my own screenshot as well, sorry 'bout that!
-In m22, you still have the slur un-flipped. I think it's actually supposed to go under anyway actually, not sure why Finale defaulted to that in my screenshot.

Fixed the beam connections, forgot that finale removes that with pickup notes and you have to readd.

I don't think I understand your second comment though. The slur is flipped down on the pickup note, and on the next notes 3 and 3.5, and 4 and 4.5. If that's incorrect which needs to be flipped?

Libera

Got confused and checked this thinking it had already been approved, but since I've done it I'll post my feedback anyway.

-I hear the top note of bar 25 beat 1.5 more as an Eb than a G, so with that chord inverted down once.
-Since you're missing out a lot of the piano anyway in bar 26 I would have thought it would be more consistent to stick to a C Eb An on beat 3.5, like on beat 2 and 4.5.
-I'm really not a fan out the slurred grace note into slurred eighths in bar 22; it looks very messy.  I would suggest either turning that all into one slur, or differentiating the two slurs, maybe flip the first one up.

Otherwise it looks fine.

Kricketune54

QuoteGot confused and checked this thinking it had already been approved, but since I've done it I'll post my feedback anyway.
Appreciated look!

Quote-I hear the top note of bar 25 beat 1.5 more as an Eb than a G, so with that chord inverted down once.
Okay, inverted to that degree

Quote-Since you're missing out a lot of the piano anyway in bar 26 I would have thought it would be more consistent to stick to a C Eb An on beat 3.5, like on beat 2 and 4.5.
Okay, changed that beat to C-Eb-An

Quote-I'm really not a fan out the slurred grace note into slurred eighths in bar 22; it looks very messy.  I would suggest either turning that all into one slur, or differentiating the two slurs, maybe flip the first one up.
agreed it ugly, I'll just slur in one big group