News:

Using cutting-edge ray tracing technology, our sheets appear 69% more realistic than the leading bargain brand!

Main Menu

[NES] Ice Hockey - "Music from Ice Hockey" by Nine Lives

Started by Zeta, December 08, 2022, 06:53:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Other
Game: Ice Hockey
Console: Nintendo Entertainment System
Title: Music from Ice Hockey
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Nine Lives

[attachment deleted by admin]

XiaoMigros

Title theme:
  • m6 b3 I hear the C sharpened
Team Select:
  • I understand you omitted a lot for playability here, however I think this sounds a bit bare in some places. Maybe you could add the extra harmony in certain places?
Game theme:
  • m18 b4.5 should be G# not Ab
Half time:
  • Like with Team Select, I think including more harmony would still be perfectly playable here
I think on the last two pages you might be better off having 3 and 4 systems per page rather than 5 and 2. I'm also not sure how you chose note lengths/staccatos since it often sounds pretty different to the originals, but it might just be an inaccurate rip on zophars end so I'll ignore that for now.

NineLives

Sheet's been updated with a few edits.
Quote from: XiaoMigros on December 08, 2022, 08:15:38 AMHalf time:
  • Like with Team Select, I think including more harmony would still be perfectly playable here
I think on the last two pages you might be better off having 3 and 4 systems per page rather than 5 and 2.
I may need few others to weigh in on these two though.
I getcha with the "Team Select" in this instance, but "Half Time" feels like a different beast to me. 180bpm is pretty fast on its own and for it to have mainly 16th notes seems to be asking a lot from a player already. I feel like it's busy enough to get the job done, but if there's a few others behind fitting in harmonies, I'll see what I can do about it.
The systems thing I'm somewhat on the fence about because I want each song to start and end on the same page, the "Game Theme" being the only exception due to the 6 system length. In a regular piece, I'd agree, but for this collection, I'm unsure.

XiaoMigros

Quote from: NineLives on December 10, 2022, 06:53:28 AMSheet's been updated with a few edits.I may need few others to weigh in on these two though.
I getcha with the "Team Select" in this instance, but "Half Time" feels like a different beast to me. 180bpm is pretty fast on its own and for it to have mainly 16th notes seems to be asking a lot from a player already.
The left hand is 'only' 8ths, so I think it's safe to expand upon.

Quote from: NineLives on December 10, 2022, 06:53:28 AMThe systems thing I'm somewhat on the fence about because I want each song to start and end on the same page, the "Game Theme" being the only exception due to the 6 system length. In a regular piece, I'd agree, but for this collection, I'm unsure.
Yeah, that's why I suggested 3 and 4, rather than 4 and 3 :p
Alternatively you could switch around the order but since what you have rn is like the original files, idk how worth it that would be..

Bloop

Title Theme
-m2: There's some more happening in beat 1-2 here:
You cannot view this attachment.
This is very hard to play however, but you could do something like this instead, for a similar effect:
-m4: In beat 3-4, I hear C-D-D#-E-F-G in the R.H. Also, the last note in the L.H. should be aligned with the third 8th of the R.H. triplet.
-m5: You can probably write the Gb's as F#'s here: the chord is more recognizable as D with an F# in the bass, going to G7 with an F in the bass. Also, in beat 3.5 and 4.5, you can add the harmony voice to the R.H. if you want: it's still very playable, especially with the staccato on beat 3.
-m6: You can also add the E on beat 4.5 in the R.H. (in its original octave)

Team Select
-Throughout this one, the L.H. should have some notes aligned with the R.H. triplets as well.
-There's also some grace notes before some notes which are probably doable to implement.
-You can add some of the harmony part in the pick-up measure, that's still very playable too (same at the end of the piece)
-m2: The R.H. D on beat 1.5 should be a C.
-m1-2: I don't think the hooks in the R.H. are that necessary, it's pretty easy to play those notes with the R.H. Playing them with the L.H. will also mean that they'll be staccato: trying to play those not as staccato is harder than just playing them with the R.H.
-m3: Also a C instead of D in the R.H. on beat 1.5

Game Theme
-m2: The 8ths in the R.H. should be connected too, like in the L.H. Also, the grace note should be an F#.
-m5-6: The R.H. in m5 beat 4.5 and m6 beat 1 should be an octave lower (it's not in the way of the L.H.)
-m15: Same harmonic motion as in Title Theme, the Gb's in the L.H. should be F#'s.
-m21: I hear this in the R.H.
I imagine you left out some notes for playability: I'd suggest leaving out the bottom notes of the 2nd, 3rd, 5th and 6th dyads in that case, so the dyads will be on the same accented beats as the L.H.
-m22: The F on beat 4 should be a Gb (or F#, but then it's best to have the Bb as an A# too, so all intervals stay as thirds)
-m24: I think it's better to write the G# and A# here as Ab and Bb (Ab because of an Fm chord with Ab in the bass, Bb because it's in the key signature)

Half Time
-m1: The A on beat 2.25 should be a G
-m3: There are some more wrong notes in this bar (both L.H. and R.H.). I could point them out like I'm doing before, but I'll leave this one up to you as practice, since it's starting to be quite a lot by now :p
-m5-20: I can double Xiao with adding some harmony to this: for me it doesn't necessarily become harder to play, since it's all between the two extreme notes. It might even be a bit easier, since the player can then identify chords instead of a single note line.
-m20: The E in the L.H. should be an Fn. Also, you could try to add a courtesy key signature before the repeat, since it goes back to C major.

Period Start
-Another Gb that should be an F# because of a D major chord

Goal!!
-m5: You can add in the F on beat 6. I'd actually suggest removing the A on beat 4, or changing it to an F if you want it to be a dyad, since the repeated A is very hard to play at this speed.

Game Set (Player Team)
-I think the L.H. doesn't hold notes when you have ties, but it's a bit harder to hear than the R.H. It might be a bit easier to play a similar rhythm in both hands rather than trying to hold some notes though.

Game Set (Computer Team)
-m3: You could add the R.H. F on beat 2.5

NineLives

Everything should be up to date, but it was a long list, so let me know if I missed something.
Quote from: Bloop on December 28, 2022, 08:39:59 AMGame Theme
-m5-6: The R.H. in m5 beat 4.5 and m6 beat 1 should be an octave lower (it's not in the way of the L.H.)
I'd like to keep these two in the current octave, if that's fair. I know it doesn't get in the way, but I think it sounds best, since it leads into the A-Bb-G quite nicely. I feel that was the intent in the original piece too, when it's all played in that lower octave. To have only the lead 2 notes go down an octave makes it sound less related to the upcoming dyads than it actually is. That's the way I see it, anyhow.

Bloop

You did most things, just a few things left:

Title Theme
-m2: Check beat 1 again in my post, there are still a few wrong notes in the R.H. there
-m3-4: The last note of the R.H. in these bars should be aligned with the L.H. triplet (I missed the one in m3 on my previous look, but the one in m4 should still be fixed)

Game Theme
-m21: Recheck the screenshot I posted, the first 3 R.H. notes are still wrong here.

Half Time
-m3: R.H. is good now! In the L.H., the En's should be D#'s

Quote from: NineLives on December 28, 2022, 12:33:53 PMI'd like to keep these two in the current octave, if that's fair. I know it doesn't get in the way, but I think it sounds best, since it leads into the A-Bb-G quite nicely. I feel that was the intent in the original piece too, when it's all played in that lower octave. To have only the lead 2 notes go down an octave makes it sound less related to the upcoming dyads than it actually is. That's the way I see it, anyhow.
I don't really hear it as a melodic thing, more like a little flourish at the end of the harmony part. The melody part itself is still ringing on too.

NineLives

Hope I got everything this time.
Quote from: Bloop on December 29, 2022, 10:40:05 AMI don't really hear it as a melodic thing, more like a little flourish at the end of the harmony part. The melody part itself is still ringing on too.
I didn't mean to imply it was a melodic thing. When I typed "lead two," I meant the first two of the flourish. What I'm trying to get across is that I feel that the whole phrase should be in the same octave, instead of going half and half. In the lower octave, the two notes sound out of place in the arrangement. It makes it sound as part of the left hand due to how close it is to the high notes of the left hand, but that's not the case and it ends up somewhat awkward. Not awkward to play, just awkward when I hear it played back to me.
I hope that makes sense. I just listen to it and find it strange.

Bloop

I see what you mean yeah, though it doesn't sound that strange to me. The R.H. has been interfering a bit with the L.H. before too, and since it's in the same register as the notes before, it doesn't sound like part of the L.H. to me. I'll approve it either way, maybe another updater can give a second opinion on it ^^

XiaoMigros

Quote from: Bloop on December 29, 2022, 11:54:48 AMmaybe another updater can give a second opinion on it ^^
Awkwardly enough I agree with what both of you have to say. It definitely doesn't sound like part of the main melody, but switching octaves mid way also seems pretty weird. So I present my possible solution:
my possible solution.png
[close]
Feel free to implement this (or not, or something similar! Whatever you choose to do here is fine, though I will admit I'd prefer this part be in its original octave)

General
Unfortunately, the way you've marked the tracks' titles isn't really in line with other sheets on site, so I think it's best if you remove the boxes around the text.

Team Select
  • m1 b4.66: You can add the C# grace note in here, it's still pretty easy to play
  • m5-6: I think you could use another layer here and show the longer notes of the lower melody part
  • m6: Maybe you could include the C at beat 4.33, but move it up an octave?
  • m8: You can add at least the first 2 notes of the lower melody part
Game Theme
  • m11 & 13: If you want you can add the extra Bb eighth notes in the RH, I like the how the feel of spamming them articulates that part
  • m23-24: The staccatos in the RH should be removed
Half Time
  • Thoughts on adding more staccatos to the LH?
Goal!!
  • m6: The RH and the D in the LH sound staccato-ish
Game Set (Player Team)
  • The accidental in the last measure is too close to the notehead
Game Set (Computer Team)
  • I'm not so sure on the 3 consecutive 16ths in the LH, though it's doable. You might want to consider changing it to 16th-8th but either way is fine

NineLives

Any of the concerns/suggestions that aren't listed below should have been done unless I missed one. These ones I've either delt with in a certain manner or felt differently about:
Quote from: XiaoMigros on April 03, 2023, 01:23:31 PMAwkwardly enough I agree with what both of you have to say. It definitely doesn't sound like part of the main melody, but switching octaves mid way also seems pretty weird. So I present my possible solution:
my possible solution.png
[close]
Feel free to implement this (or not, or something similar! Whatever you choose to do here is fine, though I will admit I'd prefer this part be in its original octave)
I prefer this the way it is, if that's okay.
Quote from: XiaoMigros on April 03, 2023, 01:23:31 PMGeneral
Unfortunately, the way you've marked the tracks' titles isn't really in line with other sheets on site, so I think it's best if you remove the boxes around the text.
What's the specifications for the boxed titles to be the way they are? Is it only for medleys? I only ask because there is a sheet on site that is of a similar nature, and while it was uploaded a while back, it hasn't been listed on the audit for any change in that regard.
Quote from: XiaoMigros on April 03, 2023, 01:23:31 PMTeam Select
  • m8: You can add at least the first 2 notes of the lower melody part
I felt the two notes by themselves didn't sound quite right on their own, so I wrote down the whole phrase instead.
Quote from: XiaoMigros on April 03, 2023, 01:23:31 PMGame Theme
  • m23-24: The staccatos in the RH should be removed
I hear the lengths of the notes in this section to match those of similar measures, so if I were to change the articulations in those measures, I'd feel obligated to do so in a few of the others too, but I find the articulations themselves to be more in tune with the bass notes, staying within that rhythm.
Quote from: XiaoMigros on April 03, 2023, 01:23:31 PMHalf Time
  • Thoughts on adding more staccatos to the LH?
I'm willing to add them to the down beats for the most part. The square notes in the chords seem to last longer than the triangle ones, and I think it's best to keep that longer length to differentiate the sound a bit.

XiaoMigros

Quote from: NineLives on April 03, 2023, 04:00:17 PMI prefer this the way it is, if that's okay.
Cool, works for me

Quote from: NineLives on April 03, 2023, 04:00:17 PMWhat's the specifications for the boxed titles to be the way they are? Is it only for medleys?
I hadn't ever noticed them before but they seem to be present on a variety of other sheets, so on second thought I think it's safe to leave them as is!

Quote from: NineLives on April 03, 2023, 04:00:17 PMI hear the lengths of the notes in this section to match those of similar measures, so if I were to change the articulations in those measures, I'd feel obligated to do so in a few of the others too
Looking at it again all of these cases are kinda borderline. I'm inclined to removing the RH staccatos, as the LH will provide enough of a contrast to still give that decaying feel overall. Up to you

Quote from: NineLives on April 03, 2023, 04:00:17 PMI'm willing to add them to the down beats for the most part. The square notes in the chords seem to last longer than the triangle ones, and I think it's best to keep that longer length to differentiate the sound a bit.
This works for me as well

NineLives

Quote from: XiaoMigros on April 04, 2023, 03:33:53 AMLooking at it again all of these cases are kinda borderline. I'm inclined to removing the RH staccatos, as the LH will provide enough of a contrast to still give that decaying feel overall. Up to you
I think I'll keep it the way I have it. I feel it works best with how both hands clash in those specific measures.
Quote from: XiaoMigros on April 03, 2023, 01:23:31 PMGame Set (Computer Team)
  • I'm not so sure on the 3 consecutive 16ths in the LH, though it's doable. You might want to consider changing it to 16th-8th but either way is fine
Just thought I'd clarify that I did do this initially, but I guess I hit the undo button a few too many times while I was working on other parts of the sheet and didn't notice, but I got this accounted for properly now.

XiaoMigros

Sounds good! I've just reviewed the rest of your changes and they look good also.

Team Select
  • The second half of m6 in the RH should have downward pointing stems
  • I'm not quite happy with Finale's placement of the tuplet bracket in m8, I think something like this shows the contour better:
    Spoiler
    [close]
    Here's a guide on how to do that, if you need it