News:

Rest in pepperoni, Mario Mario, 1981 - 2021
He will be missed by all, except for me! WARIO, NUMBER ONE!

Main Menu

[Wii] Mario Kart Wii - "Moo Moo Meadows" (Replacement) by Bloop

Started by Zeta, December 08, 2022, 12:21:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Mario Kart
Game: Mario Kart Wii
Console: Wii
Title: Moo Moo Meadows
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Bloop

Replacement Information:

Links to Existing Sheet: MUS | MIDI | PDF
Replacement Type: Challenge (new arranger)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Bloop

Another rehaul of my own sheet! Also the first sheet to be submitted from Xiao's and my Mario Kart Wii project. In m2-6, the guitar hammer-on is actually from an A to a B instead of A# to B, but I used the A# for the thumb to slide to the B instead of trying to pick it up from the A. In m11-14 I could've changed the R.H. to A, but I kept it as an A# here for consistency throughout the sheet.

XiaoMigros

Libera

Overall this looks good, I just have some comments, mostly about bass notes.

-I hear bar 1 starting with an open G-D sound rather than a B.
-The bass in bar 4/6 sounds like it plays C->D at the end both times rather than G->A or G->F#.  Is there some other reason for these voicings?  (This also goes for bars 16/18).
-I hear the bass playing E->C->G->D rather than E->C->G->F# in bars 7-10 and 19+ etc.
-The bass sounds like a its playing an E mostly rather than a G in bars 11-14.
-Have you considered adding a note (or two) under the A on beat 3 of bar 26?  It might make that statement a little more strongly and it's also pretty much the only sustained melody note in the whole piece.

Bloop

Quote from: XiaoMigros on December 19, 2022, 02:09:04 PMThis one was done by just Nagamatsu.
Late reply to this one, but I know you've mentioned it a few times that you know from a friend who knows him: since there isn't an official composer listing for mkwii, I'll stick to listing both Ohta and Nagamatsu. It could very well be the case that Ohta worked on it after Nagamatsu's original composition, and I don't feel it's worth it to bother them for each individual track just to remove one name from a sheet.

Quote from: Libera on February 25, 2023, 02:10:24 AM-The bass in bar 4/6 sounds like it plays C->D at the end both times rather than G->A or G->F#.  Is there some other reason for these voicings?  (This also goes for bars 16/18).
I didn't have a thought-out reason at the time, but in hindsight I think I still prefer this voicing: optimally I would've moved the middle notes in the chords down an octave, but those are quite wide chords (especially with the D-F# tenth), so I preferred moving them to this place. I don't know why I thought it moved down in m6 though, so I fixed that!

Quote from: Libera on February 25, 2023, 02:10:24 AM-I hear the bass playing E->C->G->D rather than E->C->G->F# in bars 7-10 and 19+ etc.
You're right yeah, though I threw around most of the voicings in those sections so the L.H. wouldn't be too jumpy or too much parallel 5th movement. I think I preferred the original F# bass more register-wise, but if this works too I'll keep it ^^

Quote from: Libera on February 25, 2023, 02:10:24 AM-The bass sounds like a its playing an E mostly rather than a G in bars 11-14.
That's true yeah, but I don't like how it sounds :p. It'll be way more noticeable in the piano arrangement than the original.

Quote from: Libera on February 25, 2023, 02:10:24 AM-Have you considered adding a note (or two) under the A on beat 3 of bar 26?  It might make that statement a little more strongly and it's also pretty much the only sustained melody note in the whole piece.
Added a D and F#, as wel as some thirds below the previous notes from the marimba tremolos.

Updated the files!

Libera

Latios212

Interesting, I've always heard the melody like this:

You cannot view this attachment.

Though listening closely, these offbeat D's are present in other places too, so I guess they're just more apparent to me when the melody has gaps between the eighth notes. In any case, it's probably best as is, but wanted to mention it anyway,

Also the actual voices in the original melody are quite odd. I feel like m. 4/6 beat 2.75 and m. 6 beat 4.75 (and similar for later sections) should be F#, but I do hear a G playing in that voice that I think you're following. Interestingly, the MK8 version plays these notes more explicitly as F#. That's not to say the arrangements match exactly - in the MK8 version the m. 11 section is reharmonized to Em! - but I think that's more reason for those notes to be F#. It makes more sense to me to have the leading tone in those places. Thoughts?
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Bloop

Quote from: Latios212 on February 27, 2023, 06:14:50 PMInteresting, I've always heard the melody like this:

Though listening closely, these offbeat D's are present in other places too, so I guess they're just more apparent to me when the melody has gaps between the eighth notes. In any case, it's probably best as is, but wanted to mention it anyway,
Yeah I noticed those too when re-arranging this piece, I initially thought it'd be hard to play (it still is but less than I thought), but I do like how it gives a bit more chaotic momentum in the R.H., especially in m1 when the L.H. is also playing 8ths. I went with G's instead of D's in m2 though: they're D-G dyads in the original, but also adding the D's will be a bit overkill for the R.H. speed.

Quote from: Latios212 on February 27, 2023, 06:14:50 PMAlso the actual voices in the original melody are quite odd. I feel like m. 4/6 beat 2.75 and m. 6 beat 4.75 (and similar for later sections) should be F#, but I do hear a G playing in that voice that I think you're following. Interestingly, the MK8 version plays these notes more explicitly as F#. That's not to say the arrangements match exactly - in the MK8 version the m. 11 section is reharmonized to Em! - but I think that's more reason for those notes to be F#. It makes more sense to me to have the leading tone in those places. Thoughts?
Interesting! I think I mostly tended to follow the (tin?) flute player, because that voice is screechy enough to feel like the foreground. It doesn't really follow the other voices that well though, and I think I do hear the F# in there, so I'll go with that ^^

Quote from: Latios212 on February 27, 2023, 06:14:50 PMThat's not to say the arrangements match exactly - in the MK8 version the m. 11 section is reharmonized to Em!
Libera mentioned that the bass notes in this Wii version during that part were E's too, but the guitar just continues strumming the G major chord (I left the bass as G, because the E just didn't sound right). I wonder if they meant it to be in E minor but forgot to change the guitar?

Anyway, files updated!

Latios212

Quote from: Bloop on March 04, 2023, 03:11:39 PMYeah I noticed those too when re-arranging this piece, I initially thought it'd be hard to play (it still is but less than I thought), but I do like how it gives a bit more chaotic momentum in the R.H., especially in m1 when the L.H. is also playing 8ths. I went with G's instead of D's in m2 though: they're D-G dyads in the original, but also adding the D's will be a bit overkill for the R.H. speed.
Yep, G's look good in the second measure there!

Quote from: Bloop on March 04, 2023, 03:11:39 PMInteresting! I think I mostly tended to follow the (tin?) flute player, because that voice is screechy enough to feel like the foreground. It doesn't really follow the other voices that well though, and I think I do hear the F# in there, so I'll go with that ^^
Cool! Did you check m. 6 beat 4.75 and similar as well?

Quote from: Bloop on March 04, 2023, 03:11:39 PMLibera mentioned that the bass notes in this Wii version during that part were E's too, but the guitar just continues strumming the G major chord (I left the bass as G, because the E just didn't sound right). I wonder if they meant it to be in E minor but forgot to change the guitar?
Ah, interesting. In any case, definitely agree that playing a G chord sounds right in these places.

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Bloop

Quote from: Latios212 on March 07, 2023, 04:50:33 PMCool! Did you check m. 6 beat 4.75 and similar as well?
Woops, I read over beat 4.75, but it seems to be the same thing there (recorder G, violin F#), fixed that too!

Latios212

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Latios212.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot