Game: Pokémon Scarlet & Violet
Console: Nintendo Switch
Title: Making a Sandwich
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: XiaoMigros

[attachment deleted by admin]

XiaoMigros

I have decided not to nuke the site by submitting Ed Sheeran... for now

I can't find where the uploader sources the composer info from, but from what I can tell it's (somehow) quite accurate, so I went with what they put. I can change it to the entire team if needed, since there isn't yet a confirmed source.

The chords were surprisingly annoying to figure out but I think I got there in the end, though there may be a few places that need looking at. I've made lots of playability adjustments already, though more may follow...

Bloop

-m1-4: Is there a way to incorporate or imitate the glockenspiel parts at the beginning? There's some more movement going on than just half notes.
-m5 and on: The oom-pah rhythm in the L.H. is very hard to play at this speed: large jumps back and forth in general are pretty hard, but these jumps are pretty large and pretty fast in itself. Maybe as a rule of thumb you can try to keep a maximum distance (from bass note to chord top note) as a tenth, and octave-displace or simplify chords if needed. You can also try to change 4-note chords to 3-note ones (mostly by leaving out the doubled bass note), so the player can generally leave out the 4th finger and cover more distance without too much hand movement.
-m20: The octave with the L.H. mark should be an Ab. Is the L.H. mark here for just the lower note of the octave, or rather the whole octave? I'm assuming the lower note, since it's a bit easier to play, but there might be a more obvious way to notate that (like cross-staffing the lower note to the L.H. or using a hook). Also, in this measure, the swung 16th in the L.H. in beat 2.25 should be aligned with the R.H. (they fall on the same beat)
-m22: I think the chord in this bar is F+ (or Db+/F technically), which would mean some An's instead of Ab's or Bb's
-m26-27: It might be organ overtones that always confuse me, but I feel like some notes here should be higher than other notes (like m26 beat 3 or m27 beat 1)
-m33-36: When slurring repeated notes into these chords accents, it might be easier on the player to have them hold the notes into the next chord (also with the last note of m32 to beat 1 of m33), or delete the repeated note if the slur goes from the chord to the single note. I also hear some more stuff in m36, which you can write with two hands. Kinda like this:
You cannot view this attachment.
-m42: I believe the F on beat 1.5 in the R.H. is part of the L.H. chord instead (which may be something else if you decide to edit the L.H. jumps)
-m48: I think I hear the R.H. go to an Ab up an octave in beat 3.5?

XiaoMigros

Quote from: Bloop on December 28, 2022, 07:36:00 AM-m1-4: Is there a way to incorporate or imitate the glockenspiel parts at the beginning?
yes

Quote from: Bloop on December 28, 2022, 07:36:00 AM-m5 and on: The oom-pah rhythm in the L.H. is very hard to play at this speed: large jumps back and forth in general are pretty hard, but these jumps are pretty large and pretty fast in itself.
I was planning on simplifying this, I just wasn't sure how much would be deemed acceptable. I incorporated your suggestions, and more!

Quote from: Bloop on December 28, 2022, 07:36:00 AMAlso, in this measure, the swung 16th in the L.H. in beat 2.25 should be aligned with the R.H. (they fall on the same beat)
I always forget that this isn't default placement...
I added a hook?, hope I did it right

Quote from: Bloop on December 28, 2022, 07:36:00 AM-m26-27: It might be organ overtones that always confuse me, but I feel like some notes here should be higher than other notes (like m26 beat 3 or m27 beat 1)
Yeah, it was kinda hard to make out the original octaves when arranging this part, so I prioritised making a part that was both comfortable to play and sounded enough like the original, which meant keeping systems 1 & 2 similar. I'm open to suggestions on changing it!

Quote from: Bloop on December 28, 2022, 07:36:00 AMI also hear some more stuff in m36
Some of this was intentionally simplified, but I added it back in (works better with 2 hands)
I can't get the middle triplet note to move to the LH for some reason, similar issue like on my other sub. I'll try it in another Finale edition and see if that helps

Quote from: Bloop on December 28, 2022, 07:36:00 AM-m48: I think I hear the R.H. go to an Ab up an octave in beat 3.5?
Not hearing this, sounds like a minor 2nd

sorry about the wait, but thanks for taking a look^^

Bloop

Quote from: XiaoMigros on January 31, 2023, 01:36:28 PMYeah, it was kinda hard to make out the original octaves when arranging this part, so I prioritised making a part that was both comfortable to play and sounded enough like the original, which meant keeping systems 1 & 2 similar. I'm open to suggestions on changing it!
I think the most notable thing I hear is moving the Ab-Db dyad in m26 beat 2 up an octave, otherwise it seems alright ^^

Quote from: XiaoMigros on January 31, 2023, 01:36:28 PMI can't get the middle triplet note to move to the LH for some reason, similar issue like on my other sub. I'll try it in another Finale edition and see if that helps
Any luck on this? I can provide a musx if that helps ^^

Some other things:
-Idk if I didn't notice this at first, but the first system should be indented so the "Piano" marking stays inside the margins.
-There's a slur in m1-4 in the .musx that isn't in the pdf, is it supposed to be there?
-m10-11 and 28: I think it's best not to have chord tones go below the bass notes here: you could move the lower chord tone up an octave though, the R.H. isn't that much in the way ^^ (I think 26 is alright, since it has the bass note on beat 2 below the chords)
-m24: L.H. 16th on beat 2.25 should also be aligned with the triplet above.

XiaoMigros

Quote from: Bloop on February 25, 2023, 06:02:55 AM-m10-11 and 28: I think it's best not to have chord tones go below the bass notes here
I left m10 beat 2.5 as is; moving the Gb an octave up makes for an awkward hand overlap and the Gb is higher than the F that follows so the effect is less noticeable

Cross staffing works now (using a new method) and I added a box to the 15ma to make clear that it affects both staves.

Everything else should be sorted too, thanks!

Bloop

Quote from: XiaoMigros on March 18, 2023, 06:59:02 AMI left m10 beat 2.5 as is; moving the Gb an octave up makes for an awkward hand overlap and the Gb is higher than the F that follows so the effect is less noticeable
That works too yeah, though I don't think the hand overlap is that problematic: playing the left Gb and right Eb at the same time is kinda the same thing as playing the left Eb just after the right Db in the next bar. I think I'd prefer leaving it as is so the hand doesn't have to suddenly switch places (any movement for the L.H. will make this piece harder imo), but I'll leave it up to you which you prefer ^^

Quote from: XiaoMigros on March 18, 2023, 06:59:02 AMand I added a box to the 15ma to make clear that it affects both staves.
ohhh fancy

I'll approve!
You cannot view this attachment.

Kricketune54

Honkey tonkey glitchy sandwhichy

Misc.
-For being a big fan of Pokemon's music honestly I couldn't tell you one mainline title composer's style from the other lol. What is your basis for this being claimed Hitomi Sato's as "quite accurate", just out of curiosity? Not doubting you just wondering
- Credits at bottom should be Game Freak, Nintendo, The Pokémon Company
- Also... should it be "Making A Sandwich"? I happened to notice that was how it was in the video title. Poked around onsite a little there's no definite rule on capitalizing all words, even short articles like "the" "an" or "a" so it's obviously on a per track title basis. The video uploader has some songs from this OST with the "a" or "the" lowercased so maybe this title was a mistake (ex. "Obtained a Berry"). Silly thing so feel free to leave as is.
- Does it make sense to have staccatos on 16th's in this instance? Typically seems like we encourage taking those off at anything above slow tempos though I understand for a swingy piece like this it keeps things consistent with the style.

Notes
- m19 A I think Ab is on the bottom not Bb
- m21 you could move the grace notes a little to the left, I think it's a bit hard to see the tie between the 2nd note and beat 1 otherwise.
- m29-32, m35 LH beat 1 should these have a staccato, or be a staccato quarter note (if just 8th note length)?
- m28 RH just going with past measures you could put a tenuto on 1.75 if you wanted
- m38 LH beat 2.5 I hear this the same as beat 1.5. Same goes for m42, m43 LH as far as same notes repeating on 1.5 and 2.5

XiaoMigros

Quote from: Kricketune54 on March 30, 2023, 02:01:21 PM-For being a big fan of Pokemon's music honestly I couldn't tell you one mainline title composer's style from the other lol. What is your basis for this being claimed Hitomi Sato's as "quite accurate", just out of curiosity? Not doubting you just wondering
The uploader had other composer-related information before I could find any source on it, and they all turned out to be correct. That said it is still unconfirmed and pretty vague so I am fine with changing it if you think thats best

Quote from: Kricketune54 on March 30, 2023, 02:01:21 PM- Also... should it be "Making A Sandwich"?
What seems most logical to me is to use conventional capitalisation rules unless given otherwise (confirmed through an ost release or any other means), so I'll stick with what I've got. Thanks for checking this though!

Quote from: Kricketune54 on March 30, 2023, 02:01:21 PM- Does it make sense to have staccatos on 16th's in this instance? Typically seems like we encourage taking those off at anything above slow tempos though I understand for a swingy piece like this it keeps things consistent with the style.
I don't think I understand your point.. Yes, at high tempos there is little difference between staccato and regular 16ths, but only when there are consecutive notes (not the case in most of my sheet). To me there's also a pretty big difference between legato swing and staccato swing, and I think that's definitely worth making clear here

Quote from: Kricketune54 on March 30, 2023, 02:01:21 PM- m29-32, m35 LH beat 1 should these have a staccato, or be a staccato quarter note (if just 8th note length)?
The currently written length is fully intentional, staccato quarter notes aren't 100% the same as regular eighth notes

Quote from: Kricketune54 on March 30, 2023, 02:01:21 PM- m28 RH just going with past measures you could put a tenuto on 1.75 if you wanted
I'm not sure where you mean by this, unless I've severly miscounted..

Quote from: Kricketune54 on March 30, 2023, 02:01:21 PM- m38 LH beat 2.5 I hear this the same as beat 1.5. Same goes for m42, m43 LH as far as same notes repeating on 1.5 and 2.5
m43, like m39, is different because I wanted a different voicing of the same chord here, so I left those as is.

Everything else has been implemented accordingly.
Thanks for your time!

Kricketune54

Quote from: XiaoMigros on March 30, 2023, 02:44:21 PMThe uploader had other composer-related information before I could find any source on it, and they all turned out to be correct. That said it is still unconfirmed and pretty vague so I am fine with changing it if you think thats best
I'm fine with keeping as is, was more or less wondering if you had picked out Hitomi Sato's style haha nbd

QuoteI don't think I understand your point.. Yes, at high tempos there is little difference between staccato and regular 16ths, but only when there are consecutive notes (not the case in most of my sheet). To me there's also a pretty big difference between legato swing and staccato swing, and I think that's definitely worth making clear here
I think your explanation works, might have to recalibrate some feedback I've left elsewhere though...

QuoteThe currently written length is fully intentional, staccato quarter notes aren't 100% the same as regular eighth notes
Maybe I've mistakenly had it ingrained in me that this is always notated as quarter notes with staccatos for piano sheets. I thought it first you did it to show the beats more clearly with the RH (with all the rests lining up better) compared to if it was written as described.
QuoteI'm not sure where you mean by this, unless I've severely miscounted..
Sorry for not being clearer meant beat 1.5, I just happened to notice the length of the notes that had tenutos in m21 and m25 and felt the note I called out in m28 was of similar length. Again though, nbd if not
Quotem43, like m39, is different because I wanted a different voicing of the same chord here, so I left those as is.
Okay that's fine, figured that could be a reason

XiaoMigros

Quote from: Kricketune54 on March 30, 2023, 07:22:32 PMMaybe I've mistakenly had it ingrained in me that this is always notated as quarter notes with staccatos for piano sheets.
It really depends on the situation imo. In some cases it's worth accentuating the duration of the full 8th rather than 'note shorter than a quarter', but in most cases I agree it can be simplified.

Quote from: Kricketune54 on March 30, 2023, 07:22:32 PMSorry for not being clearer meant beat 1.5
Ah, gotcha (I was tired yesterday so I apologise if I sounded a bit abrupt)
At the moment I have tenutos on the downbeats (except m35 but that's a different situation), just to give them a little more emphasis.
I don't really think a similar emphasis is necessary in m28, but I'm open to changing it if you think otherwise

Kricketune54

Quote from: XiaoMigros on March 31, 2023, 12:47:53 AMI don't really think a similar emphasis is necessary in m28, but I'm open to changing it if you think otherwise

Not necessary, I'll Accept

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Kricketune54.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot