[MUL] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - "Link's Memories: "Resolve & Grief"" by gu

Started by Zeta, December 26, 2022, 01:48:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: The Legend of Zelda
Game: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Console: Multiplatform
Title: Link's Memories: "Resolve & Grief"
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: gu

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]

gu

Hi! Happy Holidays to everyone :)
This is a small piece that have been around semi-finished with me for a while
Hopefully it isn't too much of a headache in this end of the year

XiaoMigros

Hi! Happy holidays to you too :)

Notes are looking pretty solid, there's just two things I found:
  • m5 b1.5 LH I hear Ab instead of C
  • m6 b1 RH I hear an F just below the G

Next is dynamics: Those are looking pretty good already, but I think the last system could do with another look at. The end doesn't sound that faint, but I'm not sure if a crescendo is warranted. It would also be nice to have a specific marking to end on? (I'm thinking p would be fine, but that's up to you)

The rest is formatting, I assume you're using Notepad so feel free to ignore the things you can't do:
  • Vertical spacing (not Notepad friendly): Title/subtitle and composer/arranger text markings are a little close together. You can also move the first system down a little, since there's a lot of free space to use. On the contrary, there's a bit too much blank space above the title and below the copyright, possibly due to conflicting page sizes when exporting the PDF.
  • Tempo marking: The text expression would look better in front of the BPM indication, and should be entirely bold. If you want, you can shorten it to just 'Rubato' as well, up to you.
  • The rit. marking should look the same as the tempo marking at the beginning (bold, 12pt), and can be moved further down.
  • The rolls seem a little misplaced at the moment, they look a little too long and collide with the barlines. I doubt this can be fixed in Notepad though
  • If you end up keeping the last hairpin, its end should also be adjusted so it doesn't collide with the barline.

gu

That was fast, thank you!
I updated the files with your additions, but unfortunately couldn't figure out what to do about the spacing at the top and bottom of the page.
I even re-downloaded the template 1.4 and re-did the sheet to see if was something I messed up, but still had the same error :/

XiaoMigros

No problem! I think it's best to wait for feedback from others, but after that someone else can sort that for you :)

Bloop

This looks pretty good ^^ Just a few tiny things I noticed (aside from the notepad stuff Xiao mentioned):

-The roll in m5 actually includes the Db in the L.H., you could use the glissando tool to create a wavy line that crosses both staves. It even plays back correctly ^^
-It seems measure numbers are missing too, but that will have to be added in a full version of Finale as well I believe.

gu

Updated! Thanks Bloop :)
I extended the arpeggio on m5 using the glissando tool, as you said (didn't know that was an option in Notepad), and tried to do the same with the first arpeggio on the sheet, which wasn't properly playing. It plays as an arpeggio now, but very slowly for some reason.
Measure numbers were fixed thanks to MusicXML Cleaner, but the odd space at the top and bottom at the page remain there.

Bloop

It probably plays slowly because of the fermata. Wavy lines at the start of a piece never really work properly, but we don't really prioritize the audio anyway, since it's just a rough example.
About the white space on top and the bottom of the page, make sure the export the PDF via the print screen (I use Microsoft Print to PDF), and check if the page format in Setup is set to Letter. Finale's build-in pdf exporter exports some weird things sometimes, and an A4 page format has some different dimensions. If that still doesn't work, let us know ^^

Here is a mus btw with some other fixes, like putting the tempo text and tempo mark in the same text box, adding a little bit of space at the start of a measure with a roll, and changing the two rolls in m9 to a single roll too (forgot to mention that in my previous post)

gu

Updated! ^^
I simply uploaded your .mus file (thanks a lot btw), and setting the page format to Letter finally fixed the weird spacing in the .pdf :)

Bloop

XiaoMigros

Looking good! I have two more minor comments, namely that the fermata and dynamic markings in the first measure could be better positioned; the fermata should be centered above the notehead, and the dynamic can be moved a little upwards and to the left. Both shown below, for reference:
Spoiler
You cannot view this attachment.
[close]

Libera

Zeta