Series: Mario Kart
Game: Mario Kart DS
Console: Nintendo DS
Title: Race Loser
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Kricketune54

[attachment deleted by admin]

Kricketune54

I saw this called "Failure" more often than "Race Lose" so that's what I went with, despite the video title.

I did some layer combining because the LH part looks a little bit messy otherwise.  LH beats 2 and 4 are slightly modified notes, though I was wondering if I should have F's instead of Eb's in LH m15 beats 2 and 4

XiaoMigros

Quote from: Kricketune54 on January 25, 2023, 01:24:01 PMI saw this called "Failure" more often than "Race Lose" so that's what I went with, despite the video title.
To me, "Failure" seems a bit too ambiguous, since there are several tracks in the game this could be referring to, let alone all the fanfares. Also, what exactly is being failed? Maybe worth waiting for a second opinion on this, but I'm not really a fan of the current title.

Quote from: Kricketune54 on January 25, 2023, 01:24:01 PMI did some layer combining because the LH part looks a little bit messy otherwise.  LH beats 2 and 4 are slightly modified notes, though I was wondering if I should have F's instead of Eb's in LH m15 beats 2 and 4
I'm not sure what parts you used where for reference, but the LH part in general looks pretty mix and matched. I hear A and F in the banjo, and F/C/Eb (descending) in the other instrument.

• Maybe you could make the pickup measure 2 beats long instead of 1.5? Not strictly necessary but I think it would make the swing easier to read.
  • I'm not sure whether the 2nd layer in the RH is really needed, but again maybe wait for a second opinion. Throughout the whole track the rhythms are quite free, and it looks weird to only specify that in 2 places. If you're going to keep it, I would suggest removing the rests in the 1st half, and adjusting the position of the one in the 2nd half (shouldn't be the same height as 'regular' rests). The staccato in m10 should be flipped as well.
  • On the topic of free rhythms, I think that's something worth mentioning in the tempo text. The swing is super heavy and the RH isn't played that linearly.
  • Same point about the rest position applies to the LH in a bunch of places, would recommend looking over those
  • Not sure why you wrote m5 and m13 using 2 layers, seems a bit excessive

Kricketune54

Sorry this took so long to respond to, I have been a bit too selfless over past few months  ::)

Quote from: XiaoMigros on January 30, 2023, 01:45:38 AMTo me, "Failure" seems a bit too ambiguous, since there are several tracks in the game this could be referring to, let alone all the fanfares. Also, what exactly is being failed? Maybe worth waiting for a second opinion on this, but I'm not really a fan of the current title.

Eh, yeah I kinda agree. If I remember correctly this theme does play when you lose the boss challenges as well? I saw SiIvaGunner has this same title in an MK DS rip if that gives any clout for keeping. Changed to "Race Loser"

QuoteI'm not sure what parts you used where for reference, but the LH part in general looks pretty mix and matched. I hear A and F in the banjo, and F/C/Eb (descending) in the other instrument.
It is mixed. The banjo parts I replicated are not exact, as to avoid collisions with RH and to not have too big of distances, so there's some 3rd's and 5th's as opposed to actual notes.

• Maybe you could make the pickup measure 2 beats long instead of 1.5? Not strictly necessary but I think it would make the swing easier to read.
It technically was 2 beats but I hid the true beat 1.0 8th rest. I'll unhide.

• I'm not sure whether the 2nd layer in the RH is really needed, but again maybe wait for a second opinion. Throughout the whole track the rhythms are quite free, and it looks weird to only specify that in 2 places. If you're going to keep it, I would suggest removing the rests in the 1st half, and adjusting the position of the one in the 2nd half (shouldn't be the same height as 'regular' rests). The staccato in m10 should be flipped as well.

I'm not sure I understand this, but it could because I've taken so long to respond to this fully lol. I took out the lower RH layer in m8 and m16, as I think that was excessive even if that note does bleed over one beat more than the whistle sound. If this is what you meant, I'd like to keep the lower layer of of m7 and m15 RH, but I'm not wed to it either.

• On the topic of free rhythms, I think that's something worth mentioning in the tempo text. The swing is super heavy and the RH isn't played that linearly.
So making "Heavy Swing" the performance text?

• Same point about the rest position applies to the LH in a bunch of places, would recommend looking over those
Made the rests all the same height for the two layers LH measures.

• Not sure why you wrote m5 and m13 using 2 layers, seems a bit excessive
Changed but kept the tie for the note on beat 3.5.

Updated, thanks for the review!

XiaoMigros

Quote from: Kricketune54 on March 26, 2023, 06:16:45 PMSorry this took so long to respond to, I have been a bit too selfless over past few months  ::)
hey one of my subs is almost at the bottom of the page you're good

Quote from: Kricketune54 on March 26, 2023, 06:16:45 PMEh, yeah I kinda agree. If I remember correctly this theme does play when you lose the boss challenges as well? I saw SiIvaGunner has this same title in an MK DS rip if that gives any clout for keeping. Changed to "Race Loser"
I'm not sure if the boss challenge does, if I play mkds again soon I'll let you know. GiIva and SiIva have both always used their own naming system (and not official ones, though there aren't any for this game in particular) so I don't rely on them. That said, if you think 'Failure' is the most widespread name you should probably go with that.

Quote from: Kricketune54 on March 26, 2023, 06:16:45 PMIt is mixed. The banjo parts I replicated are not exact, as to avoid collisions with RH and to not have too big of distances, so there's some 3rd's and 5th's as opposed to actual notes.
Gotcha, that makes sense! I checked the notes and the only thing I think is worth changing is m14, the banjo plays something a little different here to the other similar occurences, C and F are more prominent than A and Eb here (to my ears at least).

Quote from: Kricketune54 on March 26, 2023, 06:16:45 PMI'm not sure I understand this, but it could because I've taken so long to respond to this fully lol.
Truthfully I don't entirely understand what I meant either, but I think these sections look better in this updated version.
One thing though: You probably copy/pasted the same thing twice; the lower voice plays something different the 2nd time so make sure you add that back in

Quote from: Kricketune54 on March 26, 2023, 06:16:45 PMSo making "Heavy Swing" the performance text?
Yup!

• It might be worth splitting m6 beat 4 between both hands, as those intervals aren't the easiest to play for the LH
  • You also might want to remove the lower G at m7 b2.5; not only would that make the measure more playable but that note also has less emphasis than the other ones in that voice. Up to you!

Kricketune54

Quote from: XiaoMigros on March 27, 2023, 05:36:12 AMI'm not sure if the boss challenge does, if I play mkds again soon I'll let you know. GiIva and SiIva have both always used their own naming system (and not official ones, though there aren't any for this game in particular) so I don't rely on them. That said, if you think 'Failure' is the most widespread name you should probably go with that.
Honestly I do see Failure more often as an OST listing. Turns out there are other songs for failure with separate names in other modes though, so "Race Loser" is probably the best pick for clarity's sake.

QuoteGotcha, that makes sense! I checked the notes and the only thing I think is worth changing is m14, the banjo plays something a little different here to the other similar occurences, C and F are more prominent than A and Eb here (to my ears at least).
for the record I think in my initial comment on this sub I was referring to m14 not 15 so I will change that

QuoteTruthfully I don't entirely understand what I meant either, but I think these sections look better in this updated version.
One thing though: You probably copy/pasted the same thing twice; the lower voice plays something different the 2nd time so make sure you add that back in
Oh I definitely made that mistake somewhere down the line, fixed thanks
Yup!

• It might be worth splitting m6 beat 4 between both hands, as those intervals aren't the easiest to play for the LH
    same applies for m14 so I've added a RH indication there as well

• You also might want to remove the lower G at m7 b2.5; not only would that make the measure more playable but that note also has less emphasis than the other ones in that voice. Up to you!
    Good point, removed the lower G

Thanks! Updated

XiaoMigros

Quote from: Kricketune54 on April 03, 2023, 09:26:26 AMHonestly I do see Failure more often as an OST listing. Turns out there are other songs for failure with separate names in other modes though, so "Race Loser" is probably the best pick for clarity's sake.
    Let's stick with that for now then :) I don't have anything else to say, so I'll approve this sheet!

Bloop

Nice little sheet, just a few small comments:

-m4 and 12: I think it might look a bit nicer to have the tie in the L.H. flipped
    -m7: I hear the grace note before beat 3 an octave up in the whistle instead of the harmonica. It might be easier to put it up an octave either way, it's easier for the R.H. to play the grace note with the 4th and 5th finger instead of the first and second
    -m7-8 and 15-16: The quarter rests in the L.H. should be one tap up. Rests should always be an even number of taps away from their original position, so they don't obscure the stave lines as much (the effect is minimal but it does look kinda weird-ish)
    -m15: I hear En as the grace note in the R.H. on beat 3, instead of Eb. You could however also choose the replace the grace note of the harmonica with the D before the whistle, as that one is a bit easier to play and has the same effect. Either way works though ^^

Kricketune54

Quote-m4 and 12: I think it might look a bit nicer to have the tie in the L.H. flipped
    Yeah that def looks better wasn't sure if it was correct to do this tho given the stem direction, seemed like it was "incorrect" to do that way.

Quote-m7: I hear the grace note before beat 3 an octave up in the whistle instead of the harmonica. It might be easier to put it up an octave either way, it's easier for the R.H. to play the grace note with the 4th and 5th finger instead of the first and second
    yeah I hear this now.

Quote-m7-8 and 15-16: The quarter rests in the L.H. should be one tap up. Rests should always be an even number of taps away from their original position, so they don't obscure the stave lines as much (the effect is minimal but it does look kinda weird-ish)
    Oh did not know that, fixed.

Quote-m15: I hear En as the grace note in the R.H. on beat 3, instead of Eb. You could however also choose the replace the grace note of the harmonica with the D before the whistle, as that one is a bit easier to play and has the same effect. Either way works though ^^
    Ah I suppose it is ever so slightly an En, definitely went back and forth on that note. I'll switch the grace notes per your recommendation though, because it does have that same effect as you point out.

Thanks for the quick feedback! Updated files

Bloop

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Bloop.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot