Game: Kid Icarus: Uprising
Console: Nintendo 3DS
Title: Ruins of the Temple
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Cashwarrior1

[attachment deleted by admin]

cashwarrior1

omg is that a dark pit theme?? 😳😳😳

I'm not entirely sure how to do the tremolos in measure 29 and 31 since they're so short. I tried using the tremolo tool but it looked confusing. Suggestions are appreciated

PlayfulPiano

When listening to the original, it sounds like the E -> D -> C chord progression goes up then down rather than down a whole step for each chord. It might be in a different inversion for the D major chord?

cashwarrior1

I think that's just how the guitar is played, because the root note is still D (moving down) but the chord itself has more F# presence compared to the other chords which used the 3rd less

Kricketune54

Format
- Sora Ltd. should be in the credits. Also, this might be really small, but I think this could either be listed as Motoi Sakuraba and Yasunori Mitsuda, or Composed by Motoi Sakruaba, arranged by Yasunori Mitsuda. Basing off the vgmdb credit listing this track as arranged by Yasunori Mitsuda. https://vgmdb.net/album/33508
- Small visual thing could move the left part of the slur in m3 so it's pointed at the stem of the grace note. Same for m20.

- Another really small thing the pedal up symbol in m47 could be moved up a little bit, is a little out of line with the pedal symbol.

Notes
- m17 and m19 I think the B's could go in same place as m1 and m3
- m22 RH beat 4.5 sounds like there's a bit of a pitch bend on this B where it starts more as a C but becomes a B. Perhaps add a C grace note?
- m24 RH 3.75 is an E
- m25 RH beat 1 thoughts on putting a C grace note on the D#? I slowed down a lot and hear this, but it's very small so I'll leave to personal preference. Some of the intricate pitch slides like this I figured are worth noting here, but subtle to the point I think they could go ignored.
- m28 RH 2.75 is an F#
- m28 RH beat 4.0 I think you could put a staccato on this here as the note is noticeably shorter than 4.5.
- m37 laste notes I think a staccato in addition to the accent makes this sound a shorter and more like the original.
- m44 RH beat 4.75 I hear B not C
- m45 RH beat 4.5 this sounds like a D#
- m52 RH beat 2.0 there's a very subtle slide from the E on beat 1.75 down to an Eb (as an untied eighth note). I'll leave up to you if you want to change given it does sound a little weird on piano like that.
- m53 given this is a descending chromatic shouldn't D# be written as Eb? Applies for both hands.
- m53 RH beat 3.5 I hear a Dn instead of C
   - Also in m53 RH, I think the A would be better with a staccato though it's another thing that is more matter of preference.

Another thing I wanted to inquire on was was LH m5-6 and m9-10, as well as m46-m49, these parts seem a little bare as far as movements and notes. I assume this was to better contrast previous sections and m7-8, m11-2 and m50?

cashwarrior1

Quote from: Kricketune54 on March 19, 2023, 03:22:21 PMAlso, this might be really small, but I think this could either be listed as Motoi Sakuraba and Yasunori Mitsuda, or Composed by Motoi Sakruaba, arranged by Yasunori Mitsuda. Basing off the vgmdb credit listing this track as arranged by Yasunori Mitsuda. https://vgmdb.net/album/33508
oh i didn't know that :o (though i might've chosen not to credit the arrangers when i first made these sheets, i dunno)

Quote from: Kricketune54 on March 19, 2023, 03:22:21 PM- m22 RH beat 4.5 sounds like there's a bit of a pitch bend on this B where it starts more as a C but becomes a B. Perhaps add a C grace note?
- m25 RH beat 1 thoughts on putting a C grace note on the D#? I slowed down a lot and hear this, but it's very small so I'll leave to personal preference. Some of the intricate pitch slides like this I figured are worth noting here, but subtle to the point I think they could go ignored.
- m52 RH beat 2.0 there's a very subtle slide from the E on beat 1.75 down to an Eb (as an untied eighth note). I'll leave up to you if you want to change given it does sound a little weird on piano like that.
i feel that the pitch slides are more just a result of the tune being played on guitar and that it's not really a detail to try and capture on piano. also i think it makes the arrangement a little more complex than it needs to be.

Quote from: Kricketune54 on March 19, 2023, 03:22:21 PM- m53 given this is a descending chromatic shouldn't D# be written as Eb? Applies for both hands.
i spent a lot of time trying to decide which to use, because i think you can make an argument for both uses. I did D# because of the En in the chord and I felt them being Ds filled up "empty space."

Quote from: Kricketune54 on March 19, 2023, 03:22:21 PMAnother thing I wanted to inquire on was was LH m5-6 and m9-10, as well as m46-m49, these parts seem a little bare as far as movements and notes. I assume this was to better contrast previous sections and m7-8, m11-2 and m50?
yup. goal was to make the arrangement simple (since the dark pit battle theme is the same format as this and i wanted to do an arrangement of that)

updated.

Kricketune54

Meant to add last time, link's busted. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzLDPGySDZg

- Capitalize the "a" in "Arranged By"
- LH m15 could be all dotted staccato quarters, and could also have notes on beats 2.5 and 4.5
- m53 LH last note of measure I hear as Bn

cashwarrior1

Quote from: Kricketune54 on March 24, 2023, 12:24:45 PM- LH m15 could be all dotted staccato quarters, and could also have notes on beats 2.5 and 4.5
Did you just mean staccato quarters ? Also, I tried putting the eighth notes but I think it replicates the effect better just hitting the beats.

Updated.

Kricketune54

Quote from: cashwarrior1 on March 25, 2023, 09:05:29 AMDid you just mean staccato quarters ? Also, I tried putting the eighth notes but I think it replicates the effect better just hitting the beats.

Yes, staccato quarters, sorry for the confusion. That works for me, and you are my first Approved ever  ;D

Latios212

Oh wow nice work! Just skimming, this is a really nice sheet ^^

Quote from: cashwarrior1 on March 03, 2023, 10:25:01 AMI'm not entirely sure how to do the tremolos in measure 29 and 31 since they're so short. I tried using the tremolo tool but it looked confusing. Suggestions are appreciated
Do you mean the first half of the measure? If so, I think what you have is a fine piano-friendly approximation. I did notice however that the G's at the end of those two measures sound like two 16th notes instead of one 8th note.

Quote from: Kricketune54 on March 19, 2023, 03:22:21 PM- Sora Ltd. should be in the credits. Also, this might be really small, but I think this could either be listed as Motoi Sakuraba and Yasunori Mitsuda, or Composed by Motoi Sakruaba, arranged by Yasunori Mitsuda. Basing off the vgmdb credit listing this track as arranged by Yasunori Mitsuda.
Quote from: cashwarrior1 on March 19, 2023, 03:52:29 PMoh i didn't know that :o (though i might've chosen not to credit the arrangers when i first made these sheets, i dunno)
Quote from: Kricketune54 on March 24, 2023, 12:24:45 PM- Capitalize the "a" in "Arranged By"
I'd need to double check if we have specific instructions for this, but what I recall our other sheets don't use a comma between the composer and arranger information. The text should also specify that the *piano* arrangement is yours and parallel the phrasing of the above part. So either "Composed by X / Arranged by Y / Arranged for piano by Z" or "Composition by X / Arrangement by Y / Piano arrangement by Z". Feel free to correct me if I'm remembering wrong though based on our other sheets on site.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

cashwarrior1

Quote from: Latios212 on March 27, 2023, 03:21:35 PMDo you mean the first half of the measure? If so, I think what you have is a fine piano-friendly approximation.
Yup, that's what I was referring to, and I also think that just the sixteenths sound fine.

Quote from: Latios212 on March 27, 2023, 03:21:35 PMI'd need to double check if we have specific instructions for this, but what I recall our other sheets don't use a comma between the composer and arranger information. The text should also specify that the *piano* arrangement is yours and parallel the phrasing of the above part. So either "Composed by X / Arranged by Y / Arranged for piano by Z" or "Composition by X / Arrangement by Y / Piano arrangement by Z". Feel free to correct me if I'm remembering wrong though based on our other sheets on site.
Now that you mention it, that is how I remember seeing other sheets being done.

Updated.

Latios212

Neato! I was just skimming yesterday, so sorry I have a few more things to say now as I do a proper check. Almost there :)

- The melody in m. 16 beats 3.5-3.75 is actually F#-E instead of rest-F#
- This is a small thing, but the last chord on beat 4.5 of m. 16 goes back to Em similar to the end of m. 8 and 12.
- Your roll lines are a bit high and could be lowered a bit to be centered around the notes. m. 34, 47-49
- I'm not completely sure, but I think the 3-3-2 rhythms in m. 22-23 (maybe 21 too??) are actually quarter note triplets. The piece does use a lot of 3-3-2 rhythms but these feel a bit different. I'm really not certain about this though.

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

cashwarrior1

Quote from: Latios212 on March 28, 2023, 03:20:40 PM- I'm not completely sure, but I think the 3-3-2 rhythms in m. 22-23 (maybe 21 too??) are actually quarter note triplets. The piece does use a lot of 3-3-2 rhythms but these feel a bit different. I'm really not certain about this though.
mmmmm that's hard to tell. After listening to it a few times I do think that the last note of the rhythm is shorter than the others. If it were triplets it would feel a lot more floaty, the way its played still has that push and pull, most clearly heard in 23.

Updated.

Latios212

Quote from: cashwarrior1 on March 29, 2023, 04:20:39 PMmmmmm that's hard to tell. After listening to it a few times I do think that the last note of the rhythm is shorter than the others. If it were triplets it would feel a lot more floaty, the way its played still has that push and pull, most clearly heard in 23.
That's fair - although it sounds different to me it's a bit hard to tell and after asking the other updaters the consensus isn't super clear but leans more towards 3-3-2. So I'm fine with keeping it as is!

Ready to accept - except that the PDF is still the old version. I checked the .musx to validate the changes, but didn't look at the other files - double check they're up to date?

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

cashwarrior1

Quote from: Latios212 on March 30, 2023, 09:10:18 AMReady to accept - except that the PDF is still the old version. I checked the .musx to validate the changes, but didn't look at the other files - double check they're up to date?
this is what i get for trying to update under a time crunch 💀

updated.