[GB] Tetris - "B-Type Fanfares (Trepak Variations)" by Code_Name_Geek

Started by Zeta, April 24, 2023, 04:49:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Other
Game: Tetris
Console: Game Boy
Title: B-Type Fanfares (Trepak Variations)
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Code_Name_Geek

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]

Code_Name_Geek

I hope posting multiple videos is okay, I haven't been able to find all the correct versions in one video.

Level 9 High 0

Level 9 High 1

Level 9 High 2

Level 9 High 3

Level 9 High 4

Level 9 High 5

XiaoMigros

Quote from: Code_Name_Geek on April 24, 2023, 04:53:03 PMI hope posting multiple videos is okay, I haven't been able to find all the correct versions in one video.
No problem! At this point I'm happy to get videos at all, with all the copyright takedowns going on...

• Even though I usually prefer indenting new tracks within a collection, I think it looks a little odd here, especially on the first page where every track starts on a new system. Maybe it's worth removing all indents?
  • 'Level 9 High 5' is missing articulation in m8 of the LH and overall in the RH. I think it's less obvious to hear at first due to the difference in upload quality, but the play style should be the same as 'Level 9 High 4'.

Code_Name_Geek

Quote from: XiaoMigros on April 25, 2023, 02:25:07 AM
  • Even though I usually prefer indenting new tracks within a collection, I think it looks a little odd here, especially on the first page where every track starts on a new system. Maybe it's worth removing all indents?
  • 'Level 9 High 5' is missing articulation in m8 of the LH and overall in the RH. I think it's less obvious to hear at first due to the difference in upload quality, but the play style should be the same as 'Level 9 High 4'.
-Done, I'm assuming you meant keeping the first indent so that's what I did.
-Oh yeah you're right, the more active accompaniment also covers that up a bit. Fixed.

Thanks for the feedback!

XiaoMigros

Quote from: Code_Name_Geek on May 01, 2023, 03:05:40 PM-Done, I'm assuming you meant keeping the first indent so that's what I did.
Sorry for any confusion, but yes the first one should stay so this looks great!

• Level 9 High 5 is missing a time signature
  • I would recommend capitalizing 'Piano' in 'Arranged for Piano...' We don't have any guidelines to go off for this but using conventional capitalization rules it should be capitalized.
  • For the LH in 'Level 9 High 4', is there a reason you used eighths in m1 and m3 but staccato quarters in m2 and m4? I don't think there's an audible difference in the original so you should keep what you use consistent (which in this case means staccato quarters, like elsewhere in the sheet).

Code_Name_Geek

Quote from: XiaoMigros on May 02, 2023, 12:11:01 AM
  • Level 9 High 5 is missing a time signature
Done, and noticed that Level 9 High 4 was missing the final bar line so I fixed that as well.

• I would recommend capitalizing 'Piano' in 'Arranged for Piano...' We don't have any guidelines to go off for this but using conventional capitalization rules it should be capitalized.
What conventional capitalization rule would be applicable here? Instrument names usually aren't capitalized in written English. It could be capitalized in a subtitle (following standard title capitalization rules) but I don't think that rule is necessary here. I've seen it both ways in on-site sheets like this and this. But if there's a rule I'm not aware of I'm open to hearing it.

• For the LH in 'Level 9 High 4', is there a reason you used eighths in m1 and m3 but staccato quarters in m2 and m4? I don't think there's an audible difference in the original so you should keep what you use consistent (which in this case means staccato quarters, like elsewhere in the sheet).
No objections here, done.

Thanks again for the feedback! :)

XiaoMigros

Quote from: Code_Name_Geek on May 23, 2023, 02:11:04 PMWhat conventional capitalization rule would be applicable here?
To me it makes the most sense to use title case here, but you're right that there is no clear guideline for this (or clear sign to use title case at all, frankly). Maybe another updater with a deeper understanding of this (and knowledge of what publishers recommend) can voice their opinion on this. I will say that capitalising is what I've recommended to other subs as well, make of that what you will

Pedantry aside the edits look good and I have nothing more to add, you have my approval

Latios212

I'm not certain about some of the repeated notes in the left hand in some of the variations, but I can't be confident they're not there either :P

Just a couple things to mention:
- Level 9 High 2 and 3 last measure:  the lower layer in the RH goes A-C#-C# (with the first A overlapping the melody). This'd also avoid an awkward crossover on beat 1.
- Level 9 High 4 measure 7: The A's in the RH in the second half should be B's. This is also the case in Level 9 High 5 but only for the second pass, so the 1st/2nd endings will need to be two measures long each.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Code_Name_Geek

Quote from: Latios212 on May 28, 2023, 08:53:13 AMI'm not certain about some of the repeated notes in the left hand in some of the variations, but I can't be confident they're not there either :P
I wasn't sure about those with all voices together, but when splitting the channels it was more obvious that they were there.

Quote from: Latios212 on May 28, 2023, 08:53:13 AM- Level 9 High 2 and 3 last measure:  the lower layer in the RH goes A-C#-C# (with the first A overlapping the melody). This'd also avoid an awkward crossover on beat 1.
Checked those again and I mostly agree, but I think the first A is in octaves instead of unison. It made more sense to put that in the left hand for playability so it avoids the awkward jump either way. (It's fast enough that I don't think the 16th vs 8th difference in High 3 will make much of a difference.)

Quote from: Latios212 on May 28, 2023, 08:53:13 AM- Level 9 High 4 measure 7: The A's in the RH in the second half should be B's. This is also the case in Level 9 High 5 but only for the second pass, so the 1st/2nd endings will need to be two measures long each.
Oh yeah, I hear that too. Done and adjusted the measure distribution to keep it from getting cramped.

Thanks for catching those note fixes, it's much appreciated!

Latios212

Quote from: Code_Name_Geek on May 28, 2023, 08:50:42 PMChecked those again and I mostly agree, but I think the first A is in octaves instead of unison. It made more sense to put that in the left hand for playability so it avoids the awkward jump either way.
Chatted real quick on Discord; omitted them in the left hand since they would overlap the right hand.

Nothing further to mention, ready to go!

You cannot view this attachment.
[/quote]
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Latios212.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot