News:

Rest in pepperoni, Mario Mario, 1981 - 2021
He will be missed by all, except for me! WARIO, NUMBER ONE!

Main Menu

Things to remember when you arrange a sheet

Started by musicguy360, September 13, 2008, 01:33:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

musicguy360

musicguy360:

I am writing this because I want to help the quality of this site's sheets.  I don't want to pick on anyone, but there are a lot of sheets that need fixing.  Here are some tips:

1.Key Signature - I've noticed many songs on this site don't have the proper key signature.  Sorry about picking on you, Nana1Popo2 but Delfino Plaza's key sig is A major.  (Remember, im only saying this so the quality of the sheets here improves.)  Need help with finding the signature?  Well first, hopefully you know do, re, mi, etc.  Try to figure out which note in your piece is 'do'.  Sometimes, though, lets say a is 'do', but all d's are sharped too? Then it would be appropriate to have the key sig of E.  Almost always it will be at most, one accidental above, or one accidental below.

Also, you want to make sure your accidentals stay true to your key sig.  For example, if the key sig is Eb major, then there should be no sharps in it.  The only key sigs that can have both sharps and flats is c maj/a min.  Some of you use midi to arrange, just remember that #d's should sometimes be written as Eb's ;)

2. Time Signatures - This is more simple to check.  Try counting the beats, emphisizing the first beat of every measure.  If it makes sense and sounds right, it most likely is correct.  Something a little harder is figuring whether pieces have a pickup measure, etc.  Sorry, ALPRAS, but i noticed your Battlerock Galaxy is off.  The notes sound right, but the melody of that song starts on count 2.  Notice all the ties between beats 4 and 1.  It would make more sense musically if it started on the second count.  At the moment, I can't think of a way to check this, but if i do, i will list it.

If i have more things i'll list them.

This is the last time i'm gonna say it.  I am not flaming anyone's arrangements.  I am only pointing out these things to hope that you will fix them so the sheets will have a higher quality.

Brawler4Ever:

How to find a Key Sig:

1. Go to a random document in Finale Notepad.
2. Click on the Key Sig Tool. It changes the Key Signature and moves the notes up or down. Just to the left of the Simple Entry Toool/two to the left of the Triplet sign.
3. A window should pop-up, showing your current Key Signature. To the right of the picture with your Key Signature is two arrows(one pointing up, and one pointing down).
4. By clicking the UP Arrow, you will see Flats appear on the picture where it once said C Major. It will become G Major if you press it once, and will keep changing the more times you press it. Each time you press it, another Sharp/# will appear in the picture.
5. By clicking on the DOWN Arrow, the same will work with the Flats/b.

That is how you find a Key Sig. For those who have Finale Notepad, we cannot change the Key Sig without utterly destroying the song. That is why we have this.

How to find if you have the correct Key Sig:
If you have multiple B Flats or F Sharps in your arrangement, STOP, and try to find more flats/sharps on different notes. Those two notes are the beginning of the Key Sig ladders.

WiiMan96

I WOULD try to follow these "quality control guidelines", but I'm afraid I know nothing about Key Signatures  :-[

kotorfanboy

These are some good tips. I think someone should make a guide with these tips and more and request a sticky.

ALPRAS

Lets create a book: "Things you should remember when you´re making an arrangement".

Now seriously,(sorry to say) Most of the times, Brawler4ever is always saying that my arrangements have bad key sign. but I'm absolutely sure that the key sign is correct because I make my arrangements from the original song, and not from MIDIs.
Just to warn everybody that read this: When I make my arrangements, I certify that my arrangements have the greatest quality possible and that errors that you say haven't appeared in my songs NEVER... And they will never appear.       

Nana1Popo2

no, it's ok. pick on me! lol i need improvement. ya, i usually dont add the signatures until a little later, just to post it on the site first cuz i know that i have to go back and move the notes back to their original positions (because they have moved when i transferred, if it has one or more sharps or flats)

ok, ill change it! :P o, if u see any others...tell me too...thanx!
Kappa Kappa Psi, National Honorary Band Fraternity; ASU Alumnus '16; DCP '16

Nakah

I would sticky this, though it lacks more official advice. I for one did not notice the key signature issues with battlerock galaxy, although I am also the only current updater and there are more than 50-10 sheets for me to look at. I'll try my best, though I'm not perfect.

Brawler4Ever

How to find a Key Sig:

1. Go to a random document in Finale Notepad.
2. Click on the Key Sig Tool. It changes the Key Signature and moves the notes up or down. Just to the left of the Simple Entry Toool/two to the left of the Triplet sign.
3. A window should pop-up, showing your current Key Signature. To the right of the picture with your Key Signature is two arrows(one pointing up, and one pointing down).
4. By clicking the UP Arrow, you will see Flats appear on the picture where it once said C Major. It will become G Major if you press it once, and will keep changing the more times you press it. Each time you press it, another Sharp/# will appear in the picture.
5. By clicking on the DOWN Arrow, the same will work with the Flats/b.

That is how you find a Key Sig. For those who have Finale Notepad, we cannot change the Key Sig without utterly destroying the song. That is why we have this.

How to find if you have the correct Key Sig:
If you have multiple B Flats or F Sharps in your arrangement, STOP, and try to find more flats/sharps on different notes. Those two notes are the beginning of the Key Sig ladders.

k?
Even when everyone else has gone,
I will punch the punching bag until a game comes on. XD

10 years later. Still Brawling!

Composer #40

My band director told me that in every song the ending note in the bass is usually the key. So if the ending bass note is E then the song might be in the key of E major or minor (narrows things down a bit). This doesn't work well with songs with multiple key sigs but, it's better than skating through the key sig tool and hoping the number of accidentals will go down.

This method is why my arrangements have endings.

P.S.: some songs work with some funky scales besides major and minor so that's usually the reason for the accidentals that keep showing up like they're a part of a certain scale. Use this tool to find the funny ones.

It happens Every. Day!

musicguy360

Quote from: Nakah on September 13, 2008, 06:37:48 PMI would sticky this, though it lacks more official advice. I for one did not notice the key signature issues with battlerock galaxy, although I am also the only current updater and there are more than 50-10 sheets for me to look at. I'll try my best, though I'm not perfect.

For battlerock galaxy, i just meant that the melody started a count early and should start on the second beat.  THe sig's fine.

kotorfanboy

Can someone make this more official and sticky it?

ALPRAS

I know that fist temp of BattleRock Galaxy is wrong but to correct that, I have to change all the music... And I dont want to make it.

WiiMan96

Thanks for the help, guys  :)

I personally don't see anything specifically wrong with BattleRock, just the beginning is musically inaccurate, which realistically only affects how you read it.

musicguy360

Quote from: WiiMan96 on September 14, 2008, 01:45:31 PMThanks for the help, guys  :)

I personally don't see anything specifically wrong with BattleRock, just the beginning is musically inaccurate, which realistically only affects how you read it.
Quote from: ALPRAS on September 14, 2008, 11:52:02 AMI know that fist temp of BattleRock Galaxy is wrong but to correct that, I have to change all the music... And I dont want to make it.

Exactly what i meant about battlerock. Everything else is fine.  And ALPRAS, I don't blame u for not wanting to redo the whole song.

Nakah

I'll edit in anyone's official advice, if anyone can improve it post saying that they want to add this into the first post and I'll consider it. I'll make it a universal guide made by the arrangers for everyone to see. I'll eventuall sticky it, if JaMaHa doesn't want it stickied he can let me know.