News:

oh god how did this get here I am not good with computer

Main Menu

Who plays competetive?

Started by SuMa, September 15, 2008, 07:49:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SuMa

Thread Title.
IM NOT SAYING CASUAL GAMERS ARE BAD OR STUPID PEOPLE!!!!! KEEP THIS IN MIND PLEASE!!!!!!

Basically what I mean with Casual is :
Someone who plays the game the way the maker wanted it (not including adventure games because thats what I do also with Zelda for example^^)
Someone who thinks he is good even though the community or many players find ways to play efficiently (kinda stereotypical there, sry)
Someone who isnt intergrated with the discoveries of other gamers, finding new ways to play

A good example is Pokemon (actually its the best)

Casual gamer :
-looking for all pokemon
-thinks hes good because he has a ''strategie'' by putting two or three combining attacks in one pokemon, thinking its good
-thinks hes good because he beat the elite 4
-thinks his team is unbeatable
-by beating random friends in a battle, overrating himself

thats mostly what a casual gamer in pokemon looks like. srsly ive seen these people many times^^

In pokemon, there is an invisible value that influences the values such as (attack, special attack, defense, special defense, speed)
these invisible values are called EVs and the gamers found it out by trying and experimenting with pokemon via hack or emulators
also, there have been constructive rules formed by those who find it out such as :
• when a pokemon is born it starts with 0 EVs
• a pokemon can have 512 EVs and for each value (like attack for instance) it can have 255
• wild pokemon who get caught have a random amount of EVs on random values

EVs are gained by fighting against specific WILD pokemon, every single pokemon has a definite EV Value that is given when its defeated

a PIKACHU
Gives 2 EVs for SPECIAL ATTACK

that means (because you can only have 255 maximum for each value, from the 512 you can get) if you have a new born pokemon and fight against a pikachu ONLY until it has 255 EVs from the wild pikachus, its special attack will rise ENORMOUSLY!!!!
Like this :
after a level up (lets say level 25, thats when mostly EVs are done gained) this will be shown :

• Health Points 1+
• Attack 2+
• Defense 1+
• Special Attack 8+
• Special Defense 2+
• Speed 2+

Ever wonder why sometimes some values are higher than others? well this is why. when you train as a CASUAL GAMER you obviously dont know about Hacks of this sort and play against random pokemon and that way you do not know why or how you influence the EVs

NOW!!!!!!!!
EVERYONE KNOWS WHAT A VITAMIN IS IN POKEMON
such as ''Protein''
well guess what, it doesnt raise youre values by 10 or something, it just gives your pokemon 10 EVS!!! now thats a suprise right?^^

By this specific Training, gamers have found out new tactics by combining these specificly trained pokemon so they can do their job for example an ONIX has lots of defense points, a good Idea would be giving it alot of defense EVs so that it is like a physical WALL against pokemon like Kicklee, but thats TOO basic its much more complicated

Now it seems as though its tough learing ''all of this stuff''
but its not, its very very simple and much more fun
personally I could rant about these stuff days long and on and on and on but lets stop here

Who here knows what im talking about?^^

Tranzlater

Uh...
There's a difference between casual gamers, who don't give **** about what the game is so long as it has a cute charicter on the front and it has 'Tingle' somewhere in the title, an average gamer, and a FREAKIN OBSESSIVE GAMER.
Quote from: Arison The Bat
oviosly so far i've only got "little unmature kids" to respond to this thread
After months of mediation and exams, I return.
Probably not for long.

SuMa

Ok Ok maybe I sounded too offensive when describing the Casuals

But when you hear the term ''gamer'' you automatically think someone who doesnt have a freakin real life or is good in school or a guy without any friends
which is COMPLETELY
WRONG!!!
Prejudice!!!!

I dont play Pokemon that competetivley or as you would say ''obsessive'' but I play a different game (I dont want to say it Im afraid of being shot at with wrong prejudice)
And my friends who do this also, have a girlfriend, have a real life, have friends and have a goal in life

Just because you know alot from the game doesnt mean you dont have any spare time for anything else, thats just being stereotypical

Tranzlater

Well hardcore games don't nessecerialy take apart the game. I'm all for finding glitches and getting 100%, and, believe me, I don't get a game for no good reason, don't get all excited, and forget completely about it. And I consider myself to be a hardcore gamer (even though I don't take apart DS cards).
I know tons of people who wouldn't be considered 'nerds', and who don't go on forums and look on tons of sites to find the latest game coming out in october 2015, yet they are awesome at games and they definitaly are not what you'd call casual.
Quote from: Arison The Bat
oviosly so far i've only got "little unmature kids" to respond to this thread
After months of mediation and exams, I return.
Probably not for long.

SuMa

A truly acknowledgable post of yours Tranzlater
I agree. I do play a game competetive (go play at a friends house once a weekend and am up to date for tourneys and like to play against Bots and destroy them with Techskill and Combos (ooooh what is that game?^^ take a wild guess it starts with super)
and believe me its a very VERY deep game, you really need to be smart and creative in that game, there are many ways to overwhelm your opponent and the game gets deeper and much more fun finding ways to trick your opponent

I do also watch Videos of other players on YouTube, and Im not the only one obviously, also I am active in the Forums
But still, I have a Real Life, go to school and am good at School learning and working hard, Im not often at the Computer

And still i love the game because its so deep
You can see it as a sport, but EXACTLY as a Sport because it isnt like you cover up all your spare time with the game and therefore how some say ''suck at real life'' to put it harshly

I like playing games like Mario Galaxy or Mario 64 or Old School games but I dont check up whats coming up next in the later years, that I do not care, like you said Tranzlater

acropol

Quote from: SuMa on September 15, 2008, 08:15:33 AMBut when you hear the term ''gamer'' you automatically think someone who doesnt have a freakin real life or is good in school or a guy without any friends
which is COMPLETELY
WRONG!!!
Prejudice!!!!

no that's called a nerd.. not a gamer

SuMa

Oh sorry, my mistake
But Im glad you understand what Im saying^^
But still some think of this when they hear the term ''gamer'' or ''hardcore gamer'' or ''competetive gamer'' everyone has the wrong picture

WiiMan96

OK, I'm lost  :-\ :-[

But I definitely caught the casual gamer aspect...

GAMER DISCRIMINATION!!!  ;)
lol jokes

But, though I'd consider myself between average and hardcore, I don't hack games or consoles (one month of freeloader exception). I'd prefer to play SMG without finding the double-secret unlockable character Tingle  ::)

Palagerini

well since were talking about pokemon... (somewhat)..  do play pokemon competitively.. i breed for good IV's and right natures and then ev train them... it's pretty boring but once you get to battling it's a good strategy game.. although the battles are never really a challenge until you battle actual real people... for instance diamond and pearl... and no i'm not kidding...
http://www.smogon.com/
that's what i use to play against other people and learn to play competitively...
and the shoddy battle emulator there is also what i use to practice...

yes i'm a huge nerd =P. but that doesn't stop me from attracting chicks in my sweater vests! jk
Conversation on Shoddy Battle:
<death09>my girlfriend broke up with me and sent me pix of her and her new boyfriend in bed
<ktp753>ouch.
<death09>yeah. i sent them to her dad

Before you post you might want to make sure you have a couple of these: ..!!??,,,

Feel free to place them wherever.

blah54

Quote from: SuMa on September 15, 2008, 09:06:57 AMA truly acknowledgable post of yours Tranzlater
I agree. I do play a game competetive (go play at a friends house once a weekend and am up to date for tourneys and like to play against Bots and destroy them with Techskill and Combos (ooooh what is that game?^^ take a wild guess it starts with super)
and believe me its a very VERY deep game, you really need to be smart and creative in that game, there are many ways to overwhelm your opponent and the game gets deeper and much more fun finding ways to trick your opponent

I do also watch Videos of other players on YouTube, and Im not the only one obviously, also I am active in the Forums
But still, I have a Real Life, go to school and am good at School learning and working hard, Im not often at the Computer

And still i love the game because its so deep
You can see it as a sport, but EXACTLY as a Sport because it isnt like you cover up all your spare time with the game and therefore how some say ''suck at real life'' to put it harshly

I like playing games like Mario Galaxy or Mario 64 or Old School games but I dont check up whats coming up next in the later years, that I do not care, like you said Tranzlater

not to be rude, but this seems like a needless, self-appreciation thread... just because you may be a so called "hard-core" gamer because you can waveshine, shuffle, l-cancel etc. and you spend the time to develop your pokemon with precise amounts of EV points, it is admirable that you have spent your time with these things, but do not instantly place yourself on a platform above casual gamers just because you can...

you should be a little mindful of your tone...
It's on a need-to-know basis that you don't need to know.

Davey

Quick Opinions:

too long, didn't read like any of "SuMa"s posts. But from what I did read, you sound like you know your shit. ABOUT POKEMON. So maybe you should say, "Who plays competitive POKEMON". I play competitive whatever-the-fuck-I-feel-like. So go piss off on a pokemon forum.

KefkaticFanatic

Davey: tl;dr

All this stuff about Pokemon is not exclusive knowledge, there are many articles on www.serebii.net and similar sites.

But anyway, I usually avoid competitive gaming as it usually consists of boring, monotonous "balanced' play with either endless exploits or annoying "combos".

(Yes, I'm talking about you Halo 3 and "FOX ONLY FD" Smash Bros tourneyfags.  (That IS a term.)

me irl
[close]

Palagerini

heh actually i remember seeing a tournament one day on super smash bros brawl and the only characters allowed were fox and cpt. falcon and the only stage was final desitination with no items.... looked very very boring..
Conversation on Shoddy Battle:
<death09>my girlfriend broke up with me and sent me pix of her and her new boyfriend in bed
<ktp753>ouch.
<death09>yeah. i sent them to her dad

Before you post you might want to make sure you have a couple of these: ..!!??,,,

Feel free to place them wherever.

MetroidHunter v26

Quote from: Gamer4250 on November 25, 2008, 06:19:12 PMDavey: tl;dr

All this stuff about Pokemon is not exclusive knowledge, there are many articles on www.serebii.net and similar sites.

But anyway, I usually avoid competitive gaming as it usually consists of boring, monotonous "balanced' play with either endless exploits or annoying "combos".

(Yes, I'm talking about you Halo 3 and "FOX ONLY FD" Smash Bros tourneyfags.  (That IS a term.)
I completely agree to the statment above me ^

but to all the people replying and reading I didn't think he wanted this to go too bit out of proportion. (BTW I didn't read everyones post but oh well :P)

ALPRAS

well, the casual gamers are those people who thinks that they are good.... before entering the online world...
I fit in the middle of both. Im a super competitive player but I just like to play once in a while..