Songs appearing in multiple games?

Started by Cobraroll, July 15, 2009, 02:54:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cobraroll

Browsing some sections of the site, particulary the SSB section, I have noticed that we have a few songs here that appear in more than one game, listed twice (an example would be the Dr. Marion Fever theme, and the Mach Rider theme). However, there are scores of songs that appear, almost unchanged, in more than one game.
We have the SMB3 Athletic theme appearing in Super Mario Galaxy, some songs from SMK64 reappearing in the DS or Wii versions, the basic tunes from the Pokémon games (such as Evolution, Pokémon Healing and so on) staying unchanged throughout the series, and again, lots of songs from various games that appear in the SSB series. Some of them might be orcestrated, but the melody stays the same when converted to piano.

My question is: What is the site's policy on such sheets? Should we link to the same file several places on site, giving some sections of the site a lot more bulk, or clean up the few doubles we have and leave it to the users to find the originals? The first solution would be the most user-friendly, though frustrating one. Frustrating because the song either has to be reuploaded with data for each game it appears in, or the game info would be wrong in the doubles (choose one. I prefer no. 2, saves bandwith).
The second solution would make the site a bit cleaner and tidier, without doubles and each link would lead to an unique piece. However, some songs may be a tad harder to find, and we may end up with requests in the forums for songs already on site, due to newbies having trouble finding them.

So, what is our policy?
Emergence - a story exclusive to NSM

Yes, I'm still around from time to time. For quicker response, you can reach me by PM, or drop by Smogon to say hi. I go by "Codraroll" there, because of a bet.

dahans

In my opinion this is not a big deal. But if you really want to change it, the second solution is the better one.
Check out my arrangements! I mean it! Check them out!

Composer #40

My policy: If, after a song has been recycled or rearranged for a game with no difference in melody and bass between the old and new versions, especially when it has been arranged for piano, shouldn't be done again and should go with the second solution. If there is a noticeable change in melody and bass between the old and the new, possibly depending on how noticeable it is, should be arranged for piano for that particular piece.

The SSB franchises likes to reuse old tunes for its series and some remain unchanged or instrumentally changed for the game without any change to the melody. Others however are rather real arrangements with the melody being switched around and such. In SSBB these songs are labeled in the sound test and I note these on my SSBB sheets. As for the recycled songs in MKWii (i. e. retro stages), It's just a slight instrumental change and if a arrangement is made for this site using the retro songs, they should be put in to the original game it came from ("GBA Bowser Castle 3" will go in the Mario Kart Super Circuit category as "Bowser Castle 3" instead in the MKWii category).

This is how I structure my arranging policy but I don't think others might agree if it was applied for the site in general.

It happens Every. Day!

dahans

In my opinion we should remain it unchanged.

Nintendude73

I don't really think there's an official policy every single situation like this.  I think it's just handled on a case-by-case basis using common sense.  That's how I deal with it at least.

dahans