News:

All Hail President Bowser!

Main Menu

Tips

Started by NDSMASTER8, March 06, 2008, 03:15:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NDSMASTER8

Hi,
Just like I'm sure you are I'm a HUGE Nintendo fan and love this site ;D !!!! I'd also like to compose for this site but I'm not all too talented at it... Any tips on how to arrange music would be appreciated!!!
Thanks!
NDSMASTER8

HugoMeister

Well....you have to have a knowledge of how to read music. The notes, articulations, layers, etc.

Then, if you're looking for a simple arrangement, try to find a really simple Midi for the song you want to arrange. Open that Midi with Finale Notepad (or whatever program you have) and use that info to arrange a song that's playable, sounds like the original, and isn't really messy lookin.

That's how I started out. Hope this helps.

Quote from: sipan1234bow to the longest child ever

Brawler4Ever

Also: You're not alone, NDSMASTER8. I am the EXACT same way.
Try simpler songs that most others overlook: one I've wanted to do is "get heart"(heals one health) from treasure chest from Zelda: OoT.
It's nice and easy, and most others overlook it. So, I suggeest doing songs like that. Just be sure to tell them what songs you're working on in the In-ProgressThread.  :P
Even when everyone else has gone,
I will punch the punching bag until a game comes on. XD

10 years later. Still Brawling!

evilsqueaky

Start out with midis for arranging they don't require that much skill. Practicing with midis will give you a better ear for music. Or at least that's how it worked out for me.

Gaab4Ever

good that this topic starded, because i wanted also to begin with arranging

Shadoninja

If you have your keyboard around your computer, try to get the main melody of each song that you play.
"And so my saga of quoting myself in everyone's signature continues" - dudeman

Sirus

try playing by ear
if you know that the next note gets higher or lower keep experimenting
if you get the melody like what everyone else said  :P write it down if your computer isnt near and then transfer it to finale you can also experiment on finale but i dont recommend that  :P
if youre stuck, try listening to the soundtrack or find a midi and use that to help
DONT COPY DIRECTLY FROM THE MIDI
thats well... against NSM laws
well i dont think this helps
but keep experimenting and good luck

razer84

wow, i thought i was the only person who couldn't arrange... :-\

damn commies.

KefkaticFanatic

Quote from: Brawler4Ever on March 06, 2008, 05:13:45 PMTry simpler songs that most others overlook: one I've wanted to do is "get heart"(heals one health) from treasure chest from Zelda: OoT.

I'm actually pretty certain we don't accept sound effects, but you could do that just for practice.

me irl
[close]

HugoMeister

He means "Open Small Treasure Chest". You know, it plays a really simple tune.

Quote from: sipan1234bow to the longest child ever

Brawler4Ever

Quote from: gamer4251 on March 09, 2008, 03:43:21 PM
Quote from: Brawler4Ever on March 06, 2008, 05:13:45 PMTry simpler songs that most others overlook: one I've wanted to do is "get heart"(heals one health) from treasure chest from Zelda: OoT.

I'm actually pretty certain we don't accept sound effects, but you could do that just for practice.

Hoji did "Open Small Treasure Chest" from LoZ: OoT.
Here's what I'm talking about:
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?t0dl5xixjf1

If you get a heart piece (heals one heart) from a Treasure Chest, this song plays for a second. It actually goes faster, but this was done quickly.
Even when everyone else has gone,
I will punch the punching bag until a game comes on. XD

10 years later. Still Brawling!